Wiki Posts
Search

United loses a 10 year old in ORD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:37 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by shortkidd
In this case I would have told my child to go to a UA Rep and ask them to call my parents. There has to be a rip cord somehow.
Right, and if that fails? JMHO, but a 10-year-old should be told how to take things into his or her own hands if needed -- even if that just means using a payphone. It's really not that complicated.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by txp
For something like this, I would sue the airline in small claim court in my own town. Let them incur the expenses to send lawyers from headquarters to defend the indefensible before a jury.
Lawyers from headquarters? Juries in small-claims court? Sorry, this isn't generally how the U.S. legal system works....
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:05 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by shortkidd
In this case I would have told my child to go to a UA Rep and ask them to call my parents. There has to be a rip cord somehow.
According to the letter, the child asked the flight attendants three times if she could use a phone to call her parents, and she was told to wait.

Originally Posted by nnn
Right, and if that fails? JMHO, but a 10-year-old should be told how to take things into his or her own hands if needed -- even if that just means using a payphone. It's really not that complicated.
Maybe it's because I'm not looking for them, but I don't remember the last time I saw a pay phone in an airport. Even if they are there, I don't think it would be advisable for a 10-year old to wander through an airport looking for them.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
According to the letter, the child asked the flight attendants three times if she could use a phone to call her parents, and she was told to wait.

Maybe it's because I'm not looking for them, but I don't remember the last time I saw a pay phone in an airport. Even if they are there, I don't think it would be advisable for a 10-year old to wander through an airport looking for them.
A UM would not be able to go looking for one so it is a moot point.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:33 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by Flying Buccaneer
I think payphones are around. I suppose it depends on the kid, but I think most 10-year-olds would be capable of finding the nearest one. Anyway, the point was training the child to handle any issues in the off chance something goes wrong.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
I think payphones are around. I suppose it depends on the kid, but I think most 10-year-olds would be capable of finding the nearest one. Anyway, the point was training the child to handle any issues in the off chance something goes wrong.
The problem with the pay phone idea is that the child has to stay with an employee who is usually an FA or GA so they will not be able to go looking for one. At least if the child has a cell phone he/she can make a call no matter where they are. There are prepaid phones without contracts available now.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
The problem with the pay phone idea is that the child has to stay with an employee who is usually an FA or GA so they will not be able to go looking for one. At least if the child has a cell phone he/she can make a call no matter where they are. There are prepaid phones without contracts available now.
Most summer camps do not allow mobile phones. Although it is now common for 10 year olds to have phones, you are told to have your child leave there's at home. A lot of I would have done this or he should have done that but truthfully, who really believes an airline is going to screw up like this with your kid. It's not common
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Most summer camps do not allow mobile phones. Although it is now common for 10 year olds to have phones, you are told to have your child leave there's at home. A lot of I would have done this or he should have done that but truthfully, who really believes an airline is going to screw up like this with your kid. It's not common
Then have the kid throw out the phone when he gets there if the camp won't hold it. It just isn't worth the worry on the chance that something does go wrong.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:14 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm going to post the same comment here I put on the article and on Facebook.

Why did the parents not give the child a cell phone? Even a pre-paid one with only a few minutes on it?

I am not absolving United of blame here, it would seem mistakes were made. But anyone with half a brain (especially if one person is a Premier member) knows flight delays happen. Why make it harder for the child to get in touch with the parents in case anything goes wrong? They were relying on third parties to inform them of their child's progress and that sounds like bad parenting to me.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:16 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Story currently on nbc.com's web site.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by CMK10
I'm going to post the same comment here I put on the article and on Facebook.

Why did the parents not give the child a cell phone? Even a pre-paid one with only a few minutes on it?

I am not absolving United of blame here, it would seem mistakes were made. But anyone with half a brain (especially if one person is a Premier member) knows flight delays happen. Why make it harder for the child to get in touch with the parents in case anything goes wrong? They were relying on third parties to inform them of their child's progress and that sounds like bad parenting to me.
That was my point exactly.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by CMK10
But anyone with half a brain (especially if one person is a Premier member) knows flight delays happen.
The problem here wasn't a flight delay.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
Then have the kid throw out the phone when he gets there if the camp won't hold it. It just isn't worth the worry on the chance that something does go wrong.
So what phone do you recommend for the return flight?

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
A United spokesperson told NBC News on Tuesday that they have reached out to the Klebahns to apologize, and the airline is redepositing the miles used to purchase the ticket into Perry Klebahn's frequent flier account. The airline is also refunding the $99 unaccompanied minor charge.

"What the Klebahns describe is not the service we aim to deliver to our customers," United spokesperson Joe Micucci said in a statement.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 14, 2012 at 4:16 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The last time I saw a kid get tragically separated in an airport, he mistakenly ended up on a plane to NYC, where he stayed at the Park Plaza hotel and foiled the Sticky Bandits robbery attempt at Christmas!

Couldn't help myself.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil
So what phone do you recommend for the return flight?
Maybe airlines should provide the kids with a phone if there is a refundable deposit when it is turned in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.