Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR-SFO 3 class service?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by 1KPath
If I were flying on my own dime and not for business 200,000+ BIS a year, I might agree with you...but as some one who lives a good portion of his life on airplanes I value service and am willing to pay more for it!...and as someone who has flown for nearly 60 years...the cuts to service are certainly not minor!
As someone who's flying on their own dime, the ability to fly across the country for less than $400 is amazing.

I think the reality is that the number of people willing to pay for those experiences are dwindling and appear to be best served by the private/fractional jet companies these days.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 1:12 pm

ummm

they had those flights way after deregulation - through the '90s and early 2000s..

Originally Posted by unavaca
This was also at a time when inflation-adjusted airfare was many times higher than what it is now. It's not particularly fair to compare pre-deregulation service with the service of today.

I, for one, am happy to have affordable airfare at the expense of some minor cuts to service.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Aspen
Why then does UA leave a 747 unused for just over 12 hours at LAX?
(The aeroplane from Sydney arrives at LAX ~10.00 next departs after 22.00)

Over a decade ago UAL did actually fly a turn LAX-DEN-LAX with a 747-400 - it seems an achievable turn regarding sufficient time and traffic between two hubs.
Because they clearly arn't thinking of FTers I'd hop on that flight every chance I could.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: US CP ; LH FTL ; *G
. . .I can top that...I remember flying in F from SEA to LAX via SFO on a 747-400 upstairs and having two full multi-course international meals served to me on the flights...on the SFO-LAX segment, they even broke out the caviar! Oh, how have times changed!
What's caviar?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 3:32 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerChrisK
It is sold as 3-class. It is CPU-eligible (those rules are based on market, not equipment).
What happens when there is a flight change at the last moment from a 2-class to a 3-class plane? In that case how does the CPU work? Are only those who purchased FC tickets eligible for UG to F on the 3-class plane, and premiers who purchased economy tickets get added to the UG list for C?
Old Aug 17, 2012, 4:46 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by vnatraj
What happens when there is a flight change at the last moment from a 2-class to a 3-class plane? In that case how does the CPU work? Are only those who purchased FC tickets eligible for UG to F on the 3-class plane, and premiers who purchased economy tickets get added to the UG list for C?
Yup. Basically, those who purchased F or C will now be eligible to upgrade to F, and premiers in Y who were on the waitlist for F/C will be transferred to the waitlist for the C cabin.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 7:35 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
As someone who's flying on their own dime, the ability to fly across the country for less than $400 is amazing.

I think the reality is that the number of people willing to pay for those experiences are dwindling and appear to be best served by the private/fractional jet companies these days.
I hear what you are saying...I was paying an advanced purchase fare of $375 to $400 from LAX-BOS in 1973!...and just paid $389 on B6 from LGB-BOS for Mrs. 1K and me to attend a wedding next month. But I disagree that the private/fractional jet options are options, especially for small and medium sized businesses...just too rich for our blood...while it is a better option for those businesses that are able to pay for full F fares for their staff, those of us that are limited to pay "only" full fare Y are stuck with the limited service options aimed at the discounted fares of the Kayak flyer! There is too big of a gap between the two levels of service. Fortunately, most of my flying is international these days...usually on foreign carriers, so the service in Y is at least decent compared to the US counterparts!
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA G
Originally Posted by jasondc
they had those flights way after deregulation - through the '90s and early 2000s..
Yes, and the airlines were losing money hand over fist at the time. They had aligned their prices with the deregulated environment, but they hadn't re-aligned the product.

I hear what you are saying...I was paying an advanced purchase fare of $375 to $400 from LAX-BOS in 1973!...and just paid $389 on B6 from LGB-BOS for Mrs. 1K and me to attend a wedding next month.
It is, indeed, amazing. For the curious, $400 in 1973 is equivalent to $1,940 today after accounting for inflation. Truly amazing.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 17, 2012 at 10:00 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 17, 2012, 9:41 pm

It is, indeed, amazing. For the curious, $400 in 1973 is equivalent to $1,940 today after accounting for inflation. Truly amazing.
That is why we need a time machine. So I can go back to 1950-1960 and I won't have to work
Old Aug 18, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yup. Basically, those who purchased F or C will now be eligible to upgrade to F, and premiers in Y who were on the waitlist for F/C will be transferred to the waitlist for the C cabin.
This will depend on the F fare purchased. Many F fares (F) will book directly into first on whatever United plane is used - no need to upgrade.

Discounted F fares (P, A) frequently book into business. Before the merger they used to book into D (I think) which could be upgraded but at some point there was a change where they started booking into Z which could not be upgraded.

Given the current state of United it would be a good idea to check the fare rules on any premium fare purchased to see what should happen on a plane swap so you can improve your chances of actually getting what you paid for if there is a swap.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by tuolumne
Believe the plane is doing CDG-ORD-SFO-EWR-SFO-ORD-CDG.

The IPTE 763 F suite on a domestic route is the one thing that still keeps me loving UA. Knowing you're flying in the best seat in the US skies feels quite nice.
Really? I find the F seats on the UA 763s to be more slanted than on the 744 and 772s and thus aren't my favorite.
Old Aug 18, 2012, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by Beerman92
This will depend on the F fare purchased. Many F fares (F) will book directly into first on whatever United plane is used - no need to upgrade.

Discounted F fares (P, A) frequently book into business. Before the merger they used to book into D (I think) which could be upgraded but at some point there was a change where they started booking into Z which could not be upgraded.

Given the current state of United it would be a good idea to check the fare rules on any premium fare purchased to see what should happen on a plane swap so you can improve your chances of actually getting what you paid for if there is a swap.
You are right. I think A will book into the front cabin as it is still considered an F fare, at least according to UA.

As for upgrades, Z is eligible for CPU/RPU/GPU on domestic routes.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vnatraj
Yes, those who paid for the seat get's the FC seats, and of course it goes depending on fare type too, once F is full then those who didn't make it to F go to the J seats, at times and it all depends on the time frame on the swap. if there is time, the flight might be catered as a 3 class flight, but mostly it depends on the notice of the swap. The flight would be catered as a 2 class flight so the people in the J seats would just benefit from the nice seats.. Happened to me a couple of times... On both AA and UA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.