Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Open suitcase on tarmac! Need advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Open suitcase on tarmac! Need advice

My inlaws are traveling from SNA-EWR-BOM. After the flight landed at EWR, they saw out of the window one of their checked bags coming out; it was completely open (it's a clamshell suitcase). The baggage handler then casually shut it and put it inside his trolley.

They are sitting in EWR right now and want to ensure that the suitcase is properly shut. United reps at EWR and on the phone were not very helpful and said they cannot give them access to the suitcase at EWR.

Do any of you know whats the best approach in this situation? They have about 3 hours at EWR before their next flight; which is the right entity to contact to either get them to check their suitcase or have United verify that it is properly shut?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 4:22 pm

They need to inventory the contents when they arrive in BOM and file a claim for any missing or damaged items.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:13 pm

Programs: *
Not sure much they can do other than to hope gets to BOM in one piece. The story does sound a bit odd to me though as unusual for pax to see their baggage being removed at EWR as pax often are more focused on leaving the plane. Also many baggages look similar so may not be theirs. I think you should just reassure them and hope it all works out well.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 5:31 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
I can only say had that happened here 99% would've taped it up so that it would've made if in fact it's broken. Or perhaps just closing it up solved the problems.

If the agent you tried to get was no help find a spvr. & explain to them.

One other thing this happens far more than it needs to happen & most of the time it's because people try to cram to much in their luggage
Old Aug 12, 2012, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by mojoshtudd
They are sitting in EWR right now and want to ensure that the suitcase is properly shut. United reps at EWR and on the phone were not very helpful and said they cannot give them access to the suitcase at EWR.
If they come in contact with their checked baggage, they will have to be rescreened by TSA. The window for doing that and making an international departure is rapidly shrinking.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by ani90
Not sure much they can do other than to hope gets to BOM in one piece. The story does sound a bit odd to me though as unusual for pax to see their baggage being removed at EWR as pax often are more focused on leaving the plane. Also many baggages look similar so may not be theirs. I think you should just reassure them and hope it all works out well.
Not odd at all. A couple years ago, after exiting a plane at Dulles, I looked out the window and watched my bag fall off the cart and watched another vehicle run over the bag. Reported it immediately to CR and was told that it could have been anyones suit case. Needless to say, my bag never show up at my final destination.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
A couple years ago we saw several of our group's suitcases (all on a single cart) nearly ignited by a nearby tug (which had pulled up alongside another one, but not quite even with it) and we just knew they were going to be damaged as we watched out the window. The baggage handlers put them on the plane, though, so we figured we would find out soon enough. When we arrived at our destination (fortunately flying home) we discovered three hard sided suitcases and three plastic ski tubes had been partially melted and were completelu unusable plus one cloth bag was burned so badly the skis were falling out of it. The total compensation for our group well exceded the cost of the trip on that one. And four of us got new skis out of the deal.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Not odd at all.
I've seen my or someone I am traveling with bag from the plane. I guess I'm lucky in that I've seen it come down the ramp and put in the cart.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by PHLyer82
I've seen my or someone I am traveling with bag from the plane. I guess I'm lucky in that I've seen it come down the ramp and put in the cart.
And that is always a great feeling, isn't it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.