Wiki Posts
Search

UA Now Scheduling SNA Arrivals Past 11PM

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
UA Now Scheduling SNA Arrivals Past 11PM

There are flights in the fall schedule that arrive a few minutes past 11PM. With a jet curfew 11p-7a, is UA expecting to land early every single night?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by UnitedF1RST
There are flights in the fall schedule that arrive a few minutes past 11PM. With a jet curfew 11p-7a, is UA expecting to land early every single night?
I think they're expecting to land late every night! So why not show a later scheduled arrival if they have to pay the fines anyway?
Old Aug 10, 2012, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
In the gate a few minutes past 11p means landing a few minutes before 11p.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 8:22 pm

They will have to either be quite lucky with departures, traffic, and winds or be prepared to charter quite a few busses LAX-SNA.

Perhaps, we will see another scheduled change before the schedule you reference is actually put into effect.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
I think they're expecting to land late every night! So why not show a later scheduled arrival if they have to pay the fines anyway?
Not fines. Diversions to LAX, and bus rides down, with passengers unable to get cars and such. Nasty unpleasant. I don't know why they would do this, unless there was a change in the agreement on hours of landings (takeoffs only permitted until 10pm, landings until 11pm).
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by flyinbob
Not fines. Diversions to LAX, and bus rides down, with passengers unable to get cars and such. Nasty unpleasant. I don't know why they would do this, unless there was a change in the agreement on hours of landings (takeoffs only permitted until 10pm, landings until 11pm).
There are curfew exemptions for MX, WX, and ATC delays of up to about 30 minutes provided that the carrier contacts the airport manager for authorization prior to landing (and my understanding is that the authorization is almost always granted). Beyond that, carriers can still land after the curfew-- the fines are $2,500-$10,000, but there are other issues like whether or not the necessary ground personnel will be available.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I always wonder about these rules. I personally think they are bull.

Even if UA pays $10K because they land at midnight where does that money go? I'm sure it's not going back to the homeowners and residents near the airport who are inconvenienced by the late arriving aircraft. It sure as heck has nothing to do with maintaining personnel levels in the tower at KSNA.

-RM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.