Wiki Posts
Search

What the heck happened to P.S.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
What the heck happened to P.S.

I've been on P.S. flights 3x since July 1st and boy has this service changed. The meals are effectively identical to the meals on any other long domestic flight in domestic First (i.e., same as EWR-PDX or IAD-SFO). All the P.S.-y food & beverage things are gone. No more cocktails, no enhanced alcohol, no extra courses in F versus C. Not a thing. Additionally, yesterday I was upgraded into F and noticed 2 seats were in-op with permanent bags over them. I assume they've stopped fixing them because they're replacing them, but it sure is ugly.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I flew p.s. in F on Aug. 4. Aside from the lounge access at JFK, there is no soft product difference from transcon F that I could tell. The seats are big and comfy, but that will be reduced later this year. It took three dig-e-players to get a working unit.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:01 pm

Programs: Newly minted AA EXP Plat., disatisfied UA 1K, Marriott Silver & Hilton Gold
Nothing is sacred with the new Untied, every last bastion of the old UA must be destroyed and those that protest against it will be verbally lashed out on by the Pro-Smi$ek camp on this forum. Let the lashing begin!

I had to jump in and say it before the bashing began. It starts very quickly these days.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:12 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by reddirt14
...and those that protest against it will be verbally lashed out on by the Pro-Smi$ek camp on this forum. Let the lashing begin!

I had to jump in and say it before the bashing began. It starts very quickly these days.
maybe if the lashing / bashing / name calling on both sides/by all stopped, then FT could focus on the real issues
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
maybe if the lashing / bashing / name calling on both sides/by all stopped, then FT could focus on the real issues
Speaking of which, what ever happened to your efforts to facilitate that very outcome? The thread just seemed to die?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Continental happened.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:19 pm

When will the refurb to 2-cabin with flat-J start?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It will soon have very nice int'l C seats, which is cool and all - but other than that it's now Just Another Transcon when it comes to the soft product
Old Aug 7, 2012, 2:41 pm

So are you saying that they cut the nicer appetizer and it was replaced by the seafood ramekin? They dumbed-down the salads to standard domestic quality (IIRC starting 2/2012 the salads were slightly better in C and decent in F, as it was previously)? There's no third entree option anymore?
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
+ whatever-large-number-you-like ^
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: Continetnal Silver
Premium Service = Premium Seats that is all PS offers. Which can be a huge deal for some. Afer all most seats are paid so there are plenty of people thinking that its worth it.

Personaly I have stopped eating the food on the plane and just bring my owen be it in F or Y
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
I have to wonder if they are rethinking their approach given AA's aggressive approach starting in 2013.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC
Actually, all of these changes are really changes that we like--we just can't fully realize and appreciate Jeff's brilliance (yet). Give it time...pretty soon, we'll all see the greatness of his vision (but the word 'premium' won't come to mind anytime you think about United Airlines).
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
A refreshed transcon product is coming shortly. Therefore its not necessary to keep up with elective maintenance. The soft product is nowhere near its zenith, however, to me, it is still better than any UA domestic config F product.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 4:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA former 1K (1.9MM and gone), Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by JohnnyGlobal
Actually, all of these changes are really changes that we like--we just can't fully realize and appreciate Jeff's brilliance (yet). Give it time...pretty soon, we'll all see the greatness of his vision (but the word 'premium' won't come to mind anytime you think about United Airlines).
It finally dawned on me that the "you" Jeff refers to is the infrequent traveler who's now more likely to end up in F or E+ these days and have a better experience than he did previously in E-. For him, the seats are better, the food is better, and the service is better.

If he buys into the whole program, he'll get improved check-in, security lines, and boarding, perhaps even club access, thanks to his new credit card. He doesn't roll his eyes when Jeff speaks, because he sees truth in the words, and doesn't fly often enough to be sick of the speech.

The real problem here is that the formerly loyal, overentitled, frequent travelers like me keep clinging to the past and refuse to go quietly away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.