Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Too polite for GlobalFirst...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2012, 7:43 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Good grief. I am often surprised by the lengths to which people will go to be offended.
Originally Posted by Sulley
Oh, FlyerTalk...

Perhaps the FA was just being friendly? Sigh...
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Wow, FA's can't win. Ignore passengers-complaint filed. Helpful and polite- complaint filed.
Originally Posted by spudseamus
## speechless## me too!
^^. i never cease to be amazed!!!
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:09 am

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
I know you don't want compensation, but I feel like a lawsuit is the only just resolution. If possible, we should join classes with the million-miler class action.

After all, why should you be treated with such politeness? If the FA had even peeked at the manifest, she would know to look down her nose at you with the classy, je ne sais quoi-ish respect you've clearly earned.

Obligatory P.S. This would've never happened on the old UA!@$#
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
it's a bummer to hear that. if she had just come around and said "just wanted to let you know we have water and snacks available here - anything else just let me know and i'll glady get it for you"

i flew to HK a few months ago in Global First, dressed in shorts and tshirt and I look like I am 22 years old and the flight attendant was super nice and didnt say anything like that. i'd feel weird too if she did
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
I think the FA provided good service, why take issue? Maybe consider your as being provided more service since you were the only one she provided this attention to. What do you expect out of this? If venting ok it's done now expect rationale people to throw it back on you and we call it FT.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
You may want to try SQ, LX, OZ first class cabins. In general, they offer real first class experiences. Including cabin staff that would never condescend to a passenger, however unwittingly.
Well that's just nonsense. Staff on any airline can do and have done similar. Flyertalk would almost cease to be if they didn't.

Otherwise I'm going with the majority on this one. You can't please very one all of the time: another passenger would probably be delighted with such personal service.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by la2jax
Condescension is inappropriate. I'm amazed by the piling on that goes on around here.
Do you really think that she was being intentionally condescending? At worst she was trying to provide good service and said something that sounded good in her head without thinking it through. Haven't you ever said something you later regretted? We all have brain-to-mouth filter failures on occasion.

Originally Posted by 5khours
The proper response to "I do not know if you fly international first class a lot" is
"No..... I usually don't fly commercial when I'm traveling international."
Yeah, dude, you sure put that $40K a year service employee in her place!

If you got it, lord it over your fellow man! That's the American way.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:14 pm

I don't think he's complaining, just curious

I too elicit this reaction from people when traveling, and just in general. I think my kind face & quiet exterior somehow are equated with naivety and inexperience, which couldn't be further from the truth. & in fact I'm rather surly but have this habit of smiling and polite responsiveness that belie my festering attitude at times

of course it's not something that should be dwelled on for even a moment, but come on I think he was just sharing a fleeting wonder, not looking to start a riotous discussion or complaint lodging.

also maybe she was just trying to jump in your suite with you.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by colmc
Well that's just nonsense. Staff on any airline can do and have done similar. Flyertalk would almost cease to be if they didn't.

Otherwise I'm going with the majority on this one. You can't please very one all of the time: another passenger would probably be delighted with such personal service.
+1
Old Aug 7, 2012, 12:49 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR LTGold, UA, AA, AS, DL, Global Entry & TSAPre✓
My reading of the original post was not so much a complaint about the FA herself, but musing about how general behavior amongst passengers in First may have changed over the years.
It was the OP who was "too polite" (self-description) during interactions earlier in the flight, with a tongue-in-cheek assumption that is why the FA said what she did later on.
(my own assumptive summation = the FA may not experience many polite passengers up front these days, therefore the FA assumed the OP was a newbie)

Originally Posted by travelcomments
I was raised to say thank you and please every time it is warranted. ... Some may consider this excessively polite ...
And it makes me wonder what passes for standard behavior these days in first class if being polite elicits such a response.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LilAbner
How about just a bottle of water with a cap on top (Like on my SQ flight a few weeks ago) so I don't have to wake up soaked with a half empty ( or half full )
glass that has sloshed around next to me for 11 hours?
they actually do this on LH business class now, at least on my flights to Asia.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by 3piggy
they actually do this on LH business class now, at least on my flights to Asia.
Well, shoot, they do that in QF in economy.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Jorgen
Yeah, dude, you sure put that $40K a year service employee in her place!

If you got it, lord it over your fellow man! That's the American way.
^^ They're not real people like you and me!

Cheers,
Adam

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.