Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 fascinating facts about the new UA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, 1M, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Indelaware
sorry for ther 6'5" person in the rear. Don't you? Why should one 6'5" person have more space than another? Because s/he flies more or has more money? That's just not right.
Does that mean you avoid airlines w/ business class and first class too because it's not fair that people w/ more money had extra leg room?
Old Aug 5, 2012, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by N1120A
pmUA had friendlier staff, much better IRROPS handling and a far less complicated website (I do prefer some of the functionality of the pmCO website, but its much more cluttered and complicated to use).
We simply have different perspectives of PMUA and PMCO which is not surprising. Those who liked CO dislike the new UA because it is not like the old CO and those who liked the old UA dislike the new UA because it is different. Besides integrating labor, merging customer expectations is a very difficult thing for any management team to do. At worst, UA will see PMUA and PMCO customers leave for AA, DL, and US. Leaving is a choice customers can make and they are thus happy with the new airline once the choice is made. But when changes come as a result of a merger customers of both prior airlines dislike the changes because they are not changes they would have made. One thing saving UA from all of us leaving: consolidation has gone so extreem and planes are so full, there is not enough space for everyone to not fly UA.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:05 pm

Very cool article! Thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by halls120
Actually, I find the article reassuring, even if United isn't delivering on the promises made to Mr. Elliot. It shows that at least some of the management team "get" it, that it matters that a company that provides a service better be attuned to what the customers want and expect.
Uh, yeah. I'll believe it when I see it. UA does not have sufficient personnel at airports to implement a program in which people walking off a plane during IRROPS are just handed hotel vouchers and a new boarding pass. It is simply impossible for me to believe that a team of 30 employees at headquarters would somehow cause this to happen when some event causes massive cancellations and delays across the route map.

And as for providing "service better ... attuned to what the customers want and expect," yeah, it's nice that some UA managers get it. Too bad the rest of them seem to be of the "elites are over-entitled" camp.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 7:57 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs down The Whole Thing Sucks...

I am still shocked at number of horror stories that I hear about on a regular basis.

I am SO greatful that I bailed 3/3 & switched to US Air...

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 5, 2012 at 8:11 pm Reason: language
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by I_Can_Fly_US_Airways
I am still shocked at number of horror stories that I hear about on a regular basis.
But, but, but...they have "30 staffers devoted full-time to customer service issues. Among them is a new manager who handles service outages proactively."
Old Aug 5, 2012, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
5'5" - No, I don't use a computer while flying. A book, a pad of paper, and a pen is all I need for both entertainment and work. Although ch.9, seldom as it can be found, is a plus.
I see, well I'm 6'6" and I travel enough to get E+ provided as a perk. Since E- doesn't fit my needs or travel pattern, I think UA should get rid of it. Only provide E+, and only allow elites to book a ticket.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K
5'5" - No, I don't use a computer while flying. A book, a pad of paper, and a pen is all I need for both entertainment and work. Although ch.9, seldom as it can be found, is a plus.
Thank you for proving what we already suspected.

Guess what - the world comes in many different shapes and sizes. I'm 6'4", self employed, pay for a lot of my own travel myself, and require a computer while I fly because I'm meeting clients at the other end.

The only reason I fly UA is because of Economy Plus.
US or AA is probably more convenient for me, but for me, that extra legroom is more than a 'funny thrill.'
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
..... I am glad that you feel comfortable. It was not the space that was funny feeling, it was the inequality of it. I feel sorry for ther 6'5" person in the rear. Don't you? Why should one 6'5" person have more space than another? Because s/he flies more or has more money? That's just not right. ....
With that line of thinking, would you also eliminate the premium cabins? after all those seating in front either used more money or elite benefits to gain more space than the 6'5" person in back.
Old Aug 5, 2012, 9:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
With that line of thinking, would you also eliminate the premium cabins? after all those seating in front either used more money or elite benefits to gain more space than the 6'5" person in back.
It sounds like InDelaware would rather fly B6 or WN. That might be fine for him, but I suspect many of us aren't so egalitarian.

For my money, the day United gets rid of E+ is the day I stop being a United customer.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
I am totally confused.

Ditching E+ is an idea before the merger (without pmCO involvement) or what?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:29 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
I am glad that you feel comfortable. It was not the space that was funny feeling, it was the inequality of it. I feel sorry for ther 6'5" person in the rear. Don't you? Why should one 6'5" person have more space than another? Because s/he flies more or has more money? That's just not right.
If you don't think that people should be allowed to pay for the product that they want, I think you're in the wrong country, possibly the wrong planet.

If you don't think that people should get any benefit from airline loyalty, you are definitely on the wrong web site.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:37 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by garykung
I am totally confused.

the article was referring to the period of time the new UA was uncertain if it was going to continue to provide E+ post merger.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...here-stay.html
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:37 am

Programs: UA Platinum, AF, Chase, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by garykung
I am totally confused.

The article quoted in the OP says that PMUA (that's right, UA before the merger) seriously considered, or even planned, to axe E+. A lot of the squawk boxes on here are either misreading that, reading over it, or didn't bother to read the article altogether and jumped to attack mode.

It was also reported several months ago that the new UA also went through another evaluation as to whether E+ should continue. There was a quote from Smisek at that time (or perhaps it was one of the other executives) who said something along the lines of that E+ was a 'no-brainer' to keep just looking at the cost benefits and not even considering the loyalty aspect. I tried to find the quote quickly just now but couldn't.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
the article was referring to the period of time the new UA was uncertain if it was going to continue to provide E+ post merger.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...here-stay.html
Look at the article again. The article in the OP says that PMUA was planning on axing E+:

Economy Plus was supposed to be euthanized, until … Before the merger between United and Continental, United decided to do away with its premium economy class, which was being given to elite-level customers at no extra charge.

But Maria Walter, the airline’s director of merchandising and revenue optimization, begged for a reprieve. What if she should upsell other economy class passengers into Economy Plus? Would they consider saving it?

A manager gave her a number (she declines to reveal it) and said if she could sell enough seats, they’d keep EP. She met the goal. “Then they gave me another number,” she says, “And we made that one, too.”
If what this article says is true (and admittedly it can be difficult for journalists to pick up complex details like this and convey them properly), we can say that "United" evaluated E+ twice: once right before the merger, and once during/after the merger w/r/t extending it to the PMCO fleet.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 6, 2012 at 6:26 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by char777
If what this article says is true (and admittedly it can be difficult for journalists to pick up complex details like this and convey them properly), we can say that "United" evaluated E+ twice: once right before the merger, and once during/after the merger w/r/t extending it to the PMCO fleet.
Thanks - It is difficult for me to believe PMUA want to axe E+ (I remember around that time, DL rolled out EC to compete with E+).

BTW - I am the OP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.