Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Raising Fares Again

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Or people are still accumulating unnecessary debt on their credit cards or loans.
Originally Posted by JetAway
Actually, I think you are correct. A lot of people are living off of their credit. Not a healthy situation.
Not to continue with this completely off topic direction, but you are both dead wrong.

Personal debt continues to drop and saving rate is near its high over the past 10 years in the USA.

UA is raising prices because they can.

Capacity discipline is being adhered to, and simple supply and demand dictates that UA should be able to push through price increases.

Prices will be even higher at this time next year...
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Not to continue with this completely off topic direction, but you are both dead wrong.

Personal debt continues to drop and saving rate is near its high over the past 10 years in the USA.

UA is raising prices because they can.

Capacity discipline is being adhered to, and simple supply and demand dictates that UA should be able to push through price increases.

Prices will be even higher at this time next year...
Debt/savings rate is relative. US had/has one of the highest debt rates/lowest savings rates in the world. And unemployment rate continues at historic high.

It'll be interesting to see if your predictions about prices next year are similarly correct.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by Often1
UA's clearly-stated strategy is to focus on large corporate accounts. While those fares are discounted, they also include a good deal of paid intl. F/C and other extremely lucrative sources of cash.

If OP doesn't like the fare he's offered, he shouldn't accept it and will need to seek alternatives or not fly. If he's joined by enough people, maybe UA (and others) will relent or go belly up.

UA is betting that the steady corporate revenue will beat the occasional leisure traveler or jumps ship to KettleAir, and UA's bets are likely the result of serious market research. Not that research isn't sometimes wrong. But, here what UA is doing does seem to make sense.
Clever man, Jeff Smeagol. The more you yank up the fare, the classier the product looks. Amazing nobody thought of that before!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by JetAway
Debt/savings rate is relative. US had/has one of the highest debt rates/lowest savings rates in the world. And unemployment rate continues at historic high.

It'll be interesting to see if your predictions about prices next year are similarly correct.
8.3% is an historic high? How do you figure?

And unfortunately, I do believe that airfares will be higher in summer of 2013... I would love to be wrong on this one.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by giacona
but just the fact that they are doing this makes me unhappy with this airline.
Really? Just this? Everything else is hunky-dory?
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dcutcher
I don't have all the details but my bro tells me his daughter's family's trip SFO-Italy, France, currently taking place, was cancelled by her when UA upped $200 per pax allegedly for fuel surcharges, apparently after the original tix were issued.
Piqued, MA reticketed the whole 4 week trek on Delta, presumably without paying any fuel surcharges, though with a connecting flight out of DTW TATL.
Just food for thought...
Sorry something doesnt add up, once a tkt is issued the carrier can NOT up the price in any way
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL
I don't have all the details but my bro tells me his daughter's family's trip SFO-Italy, France, currently taking place, was cancelled by her when UA upped $200 per pax allegedly for fuel surcharges, apparently after the original tix were issued.
Piqued, MA reticketed the whole 4 week trek on Delta, presumably without paying any fuel surcharges, though with a connecting flight out of DTW TATL.
Just food for thought...
Assuming the tix were already issued, it sounds like a clear violation of the DOT regs. They can file a complaint with DOT if they're still PO'd about it.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:39 pm

I may be mistaken in my membory, but this seems like SOP from airlines going back sometime. If they are sucessful with one increase, they try another.

On a whole, the industry has been much more succesful since the DL/NW merger (NW often held out on fare increases), now with the UA/CO merger, there is less competion - except on certain route flown by WN and new LCC carriers. One can only imagine what will happen to the market place with further consolidation. Passengers almost never win in a merger - although I think the US/PI and the TW/OZ mergers may be exception.

They always say it is about creating a seemless network, but really codeshares, through fares, interline ticketing, and interline baggage is seemless enough in my book.

Just food for thought...
Originally Posted by craz
Sorry something doesnt add up, once a tkt is issued the carrier can NOT up the price in any way
Indeed. And how long has MA been out of business anyway? Besides even when there was a Malev, it was a Oneworld carrier; what would they be doing tickeintg on DL?

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 3, 2012 at 5:54 pm Reason: merge
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, AA Lifetime Platinum, Delta PM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Or people are still accumulating unnecessary debt on their credit cards or loans.
Bingo!!

:-::-::-:
Old Aug 3, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
$10 increases don't mean we're all paying more

Originally Posted by XLR26
Assuming the tix were already issued, it sounds like a clear violation of the DOT regs. They can file a complaint with DOT if they're still PO'd about it.
And I can't believe United would even try to get away with something like that. Fuel pricing has been volatile for years, and I've certainly purchased tickets at a time when the fuel was low and then zoomed skyward by the time I flew. Never has United (or any other airline) tried to ding me for more $$$.

Getting back OT, it's important to keep in mind who these increases are aimed at. It's not the Kayakers, who have the flexibility to shop for fare sales based upon destination. This is all about getting a few extra bucks from the traditional road warrior, the person flying SFO-ORD or LAX-JFK on a regular basis. For most of us, $10 here, $50 there, is irrelevant, because we're looking to buy when the timing's right, at prices well off an M, B or Y fare.

We also have, as mentioned, some flexibility in where we fly. I just saved a whole lot of $$$, and improved upgrade options, by flying SFO-BRU instead of SFO-CDG in a couple of weeks. Sure, I'll miss the inner guts of CDG, but I'll get over it.

Rather than focus on the mythical $10 increase across-the-board, we need to see what's happening to average fares overall.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:15 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Often1
If OP doesn't like the fare he's offered, he shouldn't accept it and will need to seek alternatives or not fly. If he's joined by enough people, maybe UA (and others) will relent or go belly up.
I'm a 1K (been so for 10 years) now but who knows going forward. Right now I'm only at about 35,000 miles for the year so it's not looking too favorable. I haven't posted in a while because I have taken the alternatives which have included other carriers and that old standby, driving. When I'm looking at a $750 one way fare or driving 12 hours, I unfortunately drive.

My wife is a silver as are my two sons, but going forward my wife is so pissed off at UA that she is shifting the family's travel elsewhere. She particularly disliked a comment made by a UA executive about UA elites having been "over entitled" and as a result now not being able to pick an E+ seat at time of booking.

She is an exec at a major national retailer and her biggest efforts there have been working with the sales force to enforce the culture that the customer is key and most important. This is what drives sales and loyalty. In her opinion she says that the new United just doesn't get it and predicts that eventually all the "over entitled" elite customers will just disappear from their flights.

PS...and by the way, who in their right mind thought the Spring break travel time was a good time to initiate the merger...and how could the senior management staff have agreed to it? My personal thinking is that it was a bunch of MBA's (not entrepreneurs) looking at spreadsheets.

My new motto when anything goes wrong these days is, "I've been Jeff'ed."
Old Aug 3, 2012, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Indelaware
Indeed. And how long has MA been out of business anyway? Besides even when there was a Malev, it was a Oneworld carrier; what would they be doing tickeintg on DL?
Not to go too OT, but as long as there is an agreement, a carrier can issue a ticket with segments on whatever carrier they want. In Feb., I was ticketed on TK via ORD, and despite them being in *A and UA offering non-stop service on my connector, they flew me AA.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
Not to go too OT, but as long as there is an agreement, a carrier can issue a ticket with segments on whatever carrier they want. In Feb., I was ticketed on TK via ORD, and despite them being in *A and UA offering non-stop service on my connector, they flew me AA.
Well, yes, of course. And I have purchased from UA directly on 016 stock a ticket for travel entirely on AS. But such is rare. OP was discussing a UA ticket, which was apparently was rebooked by MA for travel on DL -- all because of price, not irrops or anything. I'm just highly confused as to what transpired.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 8:34 pm

Programs: DL plat
Just looking at an NYC-CHI run for 8/9-8/11 and united is starting at $437. I've flown this route many many times and never seen it this high without being 1-2 days before. ITA shows options for AA at 280, DL, WN, B6, and NK (not an option though) at around 330.

Now I'm willing to pay a little extra to keep the miles under one roof with hopes that its sunny after it pours, but I'm sorry, the privilege of flying UA E is not $150 more than anyone else. Plus marine air terminal at LGA > terminal C zoo.

Not sure what type of customer this price is really targeted at..
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by 15cats
Just looking at an NYC-CHI run for 8/9-8/11 and united is starting at $437. I've flown this route many many times and never seen it this high without being 1-2 days before. ITA shows options for AA at 280, DL, WN, B6, and NK (not an option though) at around 330.

Now I'm willing to pay a little extra to keep the miles under one roof with hopes that its sunny after it pours, but I'm sorry, the privilege of flying UA E is not $150 more than anyone else. Plus marine air terminal at LGA > terminal C zoo.

Not sure what type of customer this price is really targeted at..
definitely amazed by how much price premium UA could command on such a competitive route ... and that 437 is out of LGA not EWR

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.