Wiki Posts
Search

Flight Crew Unhappiness

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, AA Plat, DL - Gold, SW - A List
Flight Crew Unhappiness

I understand that the flight crews are not happy. But I am getting really tired of listening to all the crews regardless of whether they are pmUA or pmCO complain to each other and to the passengers. Or the pilots saying "This legacy Continental crew", etc.

Just being the galley or crew area does not mean I can't hear them.

If they want to vent to each other do it before we board the plane.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gjacobs
I understand that the flight crews are not happy. But I am getting really tired of listening to all the crews regardless of whether they are pmUA or pmCO complain to each other and to the passengers. Or the pilots saying "This legacy Continental crew", etc.

I agree 100%. It's a shame. But I guess they are human, and can't help it sometimes.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
I try to give the employees quite a bit of slack on this. Some of what they're going through is unprecedented, and their disappointment is understandable, especially given the contrasts between reality, communication coming from management, and expectations during the merger.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, AA Platinum (but I also just pay for upgrades if I want them)
yeah its so odd to hear them talking so bad about the company they work for and then coming by before we land personally thanking everyone for flying with United today and wishing us a nice time and hoping to see us again...

such odd behavior.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:30 pm

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by channa
I try to give the employees quite a bit of slack on this. Some of what they're going through is unprecedented, and their disappointment is understandable, especially given the contrasts between reality, communication coming from management, and expectations during the merger.
Why should we give them some slack?? This bellyaching has been going on for 5+ years. I don't want to listen to their schedule problems, union issues or contract complaints.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:31 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Oh come on...the unemployment rate is XX so the employees should just be quiet is getting old. Most human beings end up with a time in their lives when they are frustrated by their job. It can get especially bad when you are beaten down when trying to do your best. I've worked for an airline and was several times written up for going out of my way to help a passenger. Believe me when the cost cutting culture takes over, things like this happen.

It is a natural human reaction to vent to somebody that can understand your situation. For me, my decision was to leave. For others, they may have hope that things will change. Better to vent a little then to go ballistic in flight.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 1:32 pm

I have a different view. I appreciate the opportunity to connect authentically with people and to speak about the truth. They are human. They are upset, and for good reason. In fact, they are to be commended for what they have endured for the last decade. I don't know many people who could put up with what they've had to tolerate. I welcome the opportunity to connect with them as real people and to hear how they really feel. This is reality, folks. Hiding it and walking down the aisle with a fake smile is not the outcome I'd ask for. If you want to see happy people, then let's have people who are really happy. And, if you want to know how to make that happen, sit down and have a chat with $mi$ek.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yup, and that's a perfectly valid reason for them to complain behind closed doors, either to management or each other. It's not an excuse for complaining in front of customers, which is what the OP was referring to.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by PaulMCO
Why should we give them some slack?? This bellyaching has been going on for 5+ years. I don't want to listen to their schedule problems, union issues or contract complaints.
Well, you could take a minute and recognize that they are your fellow human beings, and cut them some slack given the upheaval they are going through. But that would mean thinking about someone else but yourself, wouldn't it?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club

+100 I couldn't agree with you more. These flight attendants have jobs, yes things have a changed, but they aren't part of the 8.2% of this country who is unemployed (larger if you use another measure). We had a horrible crew on the UA 145 IAD-HNL flight. All were grumpy and unhappy to answer any request a customer had. Time to get over themselves!
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I've talked to pilots many times over the last couple of weeks (hotels, before flights, etc.) and I cannot believe how upset they are. They all seem to despise Smisek, think he is blaming all of the cancellations on them when the cause (according to them) is is United scheduling too many flights without enough crews.

This looks like one of those labor battles where both sides will destroy each other and nobody will end up coming out ahead.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA Silver

Isn't Smisek from Continental? If they hate Smisek so much, why are they so proud of being "legacy Continental crew"?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: 2012 Plat-2013 Plat-2014 Silver-2015 GM
Like some here too, I always engage the flight crew and for that matter the GA's, TA's, etc. Heck, we are all in this together. I can help make their day more fun/better and they can help make mine.

The service they have to try and provide, and I'll admit I couldn't do it, is much different than many other service related businesses. It's longer in duration and in fairly close quarters. They have to be "on" for long periods of time unlike most other service/safety providers.

So it's all about perspective. I want to make sure I have fun whenever I'm on a plane, I get bored easily, and I want to make sure I take them with me. It's easy to do and doesn't take much effort. Empathy and humor is a scarce commodity when you are dealing with the public.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Oh come on...the unemployment rate is XX so the employees should just be quiet is getting old. Most human beings end up with a time in their lives when they are frustrated by their job. It can get especially bad when you are beaten down when trying to do your best. I've worked for an airline and was several times written up for going out of my way to help a passenger. Believe me when the cost cutting culture takes over, things like this happen.

It is a natural human reaction to vent to somebody that can understand your situation. For me, my decision was to leave. For others, they may have hope that things will change. Better to vent a little then to go ballistic in flight.
Originally Posted by mitchmu
I have a different view. I appreciate the opportunity to connect authentically with people and to speak about the truth. They are human. They are upset, and for good reason. In fact, they are to be commended for what they have endured for the last decade. I don't know many people who could put up with what they've had to tolerate. I welcome the opportunity to connect with them as real people and to hear how they really feel. This is reality, folks. Hiding it and walking down the aisle with a fake smile is not the outcome I'd ask for. If you want to see happy people, then let's have people who are really happy. And, if you want to know how to make that happen, sit down and have a chat with $mi$ek.
+1 to all of the above. As documented by dozens of threads here, this is a dysfunctional airline and it's only natural for personnel to be dissatisfied and to let off some steam about it. Whatever problems the dysfunction is causing for passengers, it's much worse for many employees.

Now, if frustration crosses over to taking it out on passengers, it's another matter. But simply sharing their frustrations with each other may not be the most professional to act, but it's very understandable and no big deal.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by mitchmu
Agree completely! We do not live in a vacuum...these are our neighbors, friends and in some cases our family.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.