Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

New United Flight Attendant Uniforms are here...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New United Flight Attendant Uniforms are here...

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Sulley
CO uniforms are navy as well?
You sure about that? Could have sworn they were black...maybe I'm thinking of the pilots.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
You sure about that? Could have sworn they were black...maybe I'm thinking of the pilots.
100%

Pilot uniforms are indeed black.

The new UA will feature navy pilot uniforms a la PMUA.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Our current uniform fabric is a blue, wool/polyester blend, 45% & 55% respectively. The new uniform fabric will be a black, wool, polyester, spandex blend (44%, 54% & 2%, respectively) which makes for a lighter weight fabric designed for comfort and ease of movement.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I guess so long as the employees like it, all is good. I agree that something a bit more fashionable could have been done, but it is a risk. I mean, Virgin Atlantic's Red only works because Virgin employees tend to be, err, newer? But the purple ties, which tie into their branding are an eyesore. If it were me, I probably would have gone for a traditional Pan Am type look, including the hats similar to what the Lufthansa ladies wear, and capitalised on some sort of, "new airline, rediscovering our roots" sort of advert campaign to at least pretend to the people that they are going to bring back the glamour of flying. (I mean, just seeing the crews walking around the airports in such uniforms really can make a difference in how you feel) But thank god they are moving to black and got rid of Continental's gold.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 7:39 am

Programs: united 1k
looks not bad really
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:26 am

Programs: UA
Good not great, a little bland...

I really wish they'd redesigned the entire airline ala DL's recent efforts. They're clearly working off of a much more refined, developed, and implemented set of branding guidelines over in that camp.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 1:58 pm

This is interesting

"Soon, Flight Attendants will have the ability to vote on the uniform dress, an optional piece that will likely not be immediately available with the launch of the new uniform."

Maybe there will be an attempt at flair here. Let's be honest, it's the occasional red dress that makes the Delta crews stand out, not the standard issue uniform.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: VAG
Wow. This process is still ongoing?

An excellent example, I think, of how complicated, tortuous and eventually naff you can make a project, when you manage to get enough people involved. Learning that the union is involved with the selection process makes the snail's pace of progress make sense.

There are hundreds of airlines in the world. Most of them don't have even ten percent of the resources of United. Most of them have much better uniforms. Most of them, I suspect, when they need new uniforms send a few people down to the local uniform supply company, look at a few samples, and choose one over a couple of weeks.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:27 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
"She may be weary..."

[QUOTE;

<snip>
The real question -- the important question -- is whether FAs will like them. Anything that helps employees feel professional and take a little more pride in their job is all right by me.[/QUOTE]

...women DO get weary, wearing the same, shabby dress..."

But tenderness in itself wouldn't/doesn't relieve the tedium of wearing "the same uniform" every workday.
From that point of view, the more garment options the better, though how a wide variety of such would square with branding/creating a clearly identified image, ....um...well...
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I asked a few FAs back in November what they thought of the new uniforms and one of them told me "the models they use are way too thin, I don't know how they'll look on REAL people!".
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
I asked a few FAs back in November what they thought of the new uniforms and one of them told me "the models they use are way too thin, I don't know how they'll look on REAL people!".

Some of the DEN RCC agents said that the models looked like "praying mantises"
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
Learning that the union is involved with the selection process makes the snail's pace of progress make sense.
Yeah, ridiculous that they'd actually include the people that have to wear and work in them.
Silly unions. If it wasn't for the workers on the line the company would run so much smoother.

Couldn't possibly be the managers.
Like the ones that picked a new coffee blend?
Tested it at the office but didn't actually run it thru the coffee makers on the plane.
You mean the water in the airplane tanks and the makers themselves might actually affect the taste of the product? Go figure.

Yeah, it's gotta be the employees.
So predictable.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb New United Flight Attendant Uniforms are here...

taken from anet

Cynthia Rowley, who was signed on in 2009 to design new uniforms for PMUA, abruptly left during the project's final stages in 2011 when new management heads post-merger demanded downgrades in the materials used. She refused to put her name onto said materials.

These uniforms are designed and manufactured by Cintas. Although some are stating that Cynthia Rowley is part of Cinta's "in-house" design advisory, she has no control over textile quality used and is a third party consultant at most.

Last edited by tuolumne; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:00 pm
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:09 pm

Work on the street has it that these uniforms were plagiarized by Cynthia Rowley!

http://www.pajiba.com/assets_c/2011/...x276-22056.jpg

http://x8d.xanga.com/b1ef46647863225...s201657359.jpg
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by tuolumne

Cynthia Rowley, who was signed on in 2009 to design new uniforms for PMUA, abruptly left during the project's final stages in 2011 when new management heads post-merger demanded downgrades in the materials used. She refused to put her name onto said materials.
Where did she state this? You're passing that off as fact. Can you source it, or is that just what you gathered from reading comments on the a.net thread? It's easy to sound authoritative on a message board... I've heard about 5 different stories about why Rowley was discharged from the project. Inferior fabrics, pay disputes, her own delays, you name it.

As for the uniforms, yeah, they are bland, but I think these look better than the current ones. s-CO's are a throwback to the early 90s (Murphy Brown, anyone?) while s-UA's look like they got a great deal on uniform pieces from a post-WWII Army-Navy surplus store. I don't need flight attendants sashaying down the aisles in haute couture; a modern, functional uniform to go with a smile and friendly service is more than sufficient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.