Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
This is so clutch. That sounds like the answer to me...
Agreed, and also "Johnson says United is cooperating with the inquiry and that "we're confident of a fair outcome." He is possibly saying that the current United stance is unfair.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: US CP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VandyBDL
Agreed, and also "Johnson says United is cooperating with the inquiry and that "we're confident of a fair outcome." He is possibly saying that the current United stance is unfair.
Johnson is the UA spokesperson. Mosley is the DOT guy. I wouldn't read too much into the UA soundbite there.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:51 am

Sorry, I just had coffee come out my nose on this one.

As a neutral, I am EQUALLY enjoying this delusional peanut gallery as much as the thought of UA squirming.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by jghassell
Johnson is the UA spokesperson. Mosley is the DOT guy. I wouldn't read too much into the UA soundbite there.
Agreed. I think in this situation, Mosley's comment means considerably more than United's.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:52 am

I just tried assigning seats for OZ segment of the trip on OZ website, and it worked just fine.

So far I can tell the tickets are still valid.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titantium Elite
That's different. This is as if we both purchased the same ring at the same time on different registers, and they made me bring my ring back, and not the other person. Mistake or not, it isn't equal. I get that life's not fair sometimes, but in this instance it is in fact unfair. And as several others have said, many of us have made mistakes when ticketing UA fares, and we have to pay for those mistakes, so why shouldn't UA?

Just because it is on a larger scale? If I need to change a ticket and it costs me a lot to change it due to fare increases, that doesn't make UA want to charge me less than if it were just the $150 change fee. Simply because it's a larger mistake than most, UA shouldn't honor it?
I do agree that United has to provide some sort of compensation - just as you stated, we as the consumer have to pay to cancel outside of 24 hours, and therefore so should United. All I'm saying is that IMO, United does not have to honor the tickets, but rather provide some sort of decent compensation.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by iahphx
On Sunday, I tried to book "the deal" into PVG and it didn't work. I switched to HKG and -- bingo. Not sure why this happened, and I didn't go back to try to book..
PEK worked.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
"fair" for one person might not be "fair" to another. That sentence really does not say much. I guess everyone can agree that to just cancel the tickets and do nothing would be unfair. But some people have mentioned as little as 10-15K RDM's as fair compensation. Others have said at least ONE ticket per passenger being honored is fair and others want ALL the tickets they have honored w no compromise. What the DOT considers fair may not appease everyone

Originally Posted by sky417
I just tried assigning seats for OZ segment of the trip on OZ website, and it worked just fine.

You were able to book this deal using partners? If that's the case move me over from the group that does not care to the group that's jealous!!! I saw this deal when it was still live and didn't want to get in cuz I could not stand the thought of ORD-HKG on UA metal. Had I known I could have gone w NH/OZ/TG I would have at least splurged and spent the 12 miles for 2

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 18, 2012 at 8:38 am Reason: merge
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sky417

U can also assign seats for unticketed itineraries there

As for mainland China... My understanding is that hong Kong had to part of the itinerary somehow. I got an open jaw to TPE which wouldn't book as a one way, but when I added a return from HKG it was good to go.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by jghassell
I missed that, but either way, at least the DOT gave their quote, it seems like it would be hard to go back on that. If they don't uphold the rule, in what cases should they?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
"fair" for one person might not be "fair" to another. That sentence really does not say much. I guess everyone can agree that to just cancel the tickets and do nothing would be unfair. But some people have mentioned as little as 10-15K RDM's as fair compensation. Others have said at least ONE ticket per passenger being honored is fair and others want ALL the tickets they have honored w no compromise. What the DOT considers fair may not appease everyone
Agreed. That UA sound bite, in my opinion, means nothing. Just like many people state we are confident we will win this lawsuit. Or that you will receive the republican nomination.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:06 am

You were able to book this deal using partners? If that's the case move me over from the group that does not care to the group that's jealous!!! I saw this deal when it was still live and didn't want to get in cuz I could not stand the thought of ORD-HKG on UA metal. Had I known I could have gone w NH/OZ/TG I would have at least splurged and spent the 12 miles for 2
Yes, most partners. The first reported person to travel was on LH F I believe.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Yup. We have both OZ and TG First trips including the new A380.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:12 am

Why doesn't UA just cancel any flights with 4 mile redemptions on it? Then just reschedule the flight, offer to rebook the previous passengers on it (that paid full fare), and say "Sorry, but no luck" for the redeemers?
Old Jul 18, 2012, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ExitRowLegroom
Why doesn't UA just cancel any flights with 4 mile redemptions on it? Then just reschedule the flight, offer to rebook the previous passengers on it (that paid full fare), and say "Sorry, but no luck" for the redeemers?
See post #833
http://travel.usatoday.com/flights/s...73516/1?csp=tf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.