Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I just hope the people that got this deal and now have this holier then thou attitude have a nice trip. When they get back they no longer have the right to consider themselves "some of Uniteds best customers" nor should they ever open their mouths again and complain how the airline is treating them. If I was United I would let everyone who got this mistake fare go on their trips and then close down each ones account and rip any status away. The whole purpose of these programs is to reward loyalty. The whole purpose of Elite levels is to reward UA's best customers. None of these people fall under the category of "best customers" if the airline is forced to take a bath on an "obvious mistake" that some people exploited
I hear ya and understand why you said this, however most likley it wont affect UAs finest, simply since most likely they didnt have say 1k in their accts but most likely 100s of 1000s and therefore UA withdrew the proper amount and not just 4 miles.

But even if they didnt have enough to pay the actual amount if all they cashed in for was 1 tkt then Id think UA shouldnt go after them. But for those who cashed in for 10s of tkts either for themselves or their entire extended family then I agree with you especially if they went to DOT or filed a law suit . If someone cashed in for 2 tkts for themselves and their spouse or SO then UA shouldnt throw the book at them if it was a simple US-HKG Itin, but if they booked flying all around Asia and or Europe UA should throw the book at them.

That said COdbaUA is no Favorite of mine but for now I cant divorce her, it would work against me. I just hope that with all that has happened since 3/3that Jeff comes down off his High Horse and starts looking at not what is the cheapest way to run this Airline but instead starts thinking what do we NEED to do to make sure this Airline is #1 in all facets

Last edited by craz; Jul 17, 2012 at 9:04 pm
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Often1
Is there anybody who seriously thinks that UA hasn't already informed DOT as its primary regulator? And, having done that, is there anybody who thinks that UA won't confer with DOT about what it intends to say to each pax and then do?

This whole thing is way overblown. Except for the few people who really were headed to HKG and expected to pay more cash/miles and were simply pleasantly surprised, the rest will cancel and this will be over.
UA and DoT colluding. Riiiiigggggghhhhhhttttttt.

So now there's an underlying 'needs' test? At least your posts are predictable.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I just hope the people that got this deal and now have this holier then thou attitude have a nice trip. When they get back they no longer have the right to consider themselves "some of Uniteds best customers" nor should they ever open their mouths again and complain how the airline is treating them. If I was United I would let everyone who got this mistake fare go on their trips and then close down each ones account and rip any status away. The whole purpose of these programs is to reward loyalty. The whole purpose of Elite levels is to reward UA's best customers. None of these people fall under the category of "best customers" if the airline is forced to take a bath on an "obvious mistake" that some people exploited
Playing devils advocate here:

When the fox gets the sheep all is well. When the sheep traps the fox the fox gets to say "whoa, let's go back to the beginning, this ain't right."?

We have posters on one side talking DoT complaint and lawsuits, which I think is premature. We have others prominently desiring UA to cancel MP accounts and blacklist these people which is just a tad vindictive. Just a tad......

We also have a number of posters, like me, who didn't partake in the purchase and are quite entertained at all that is going on.

Forget the popcorn, I'm sitting down with a few bottles of vodka and a case of soda water. This is gonna be interesting watch play out.

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
It's a shame SHARES sucks otherwise it would be great if they could notate every person who took advantage of the deal and go out of their way to apply every rule to the letter of the law. No exceptions. No breaks. No favors. As punitive as possible.

Programs: AA Exp, MM, UA
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Are you saying that you think UA could intentionally pretend that those on these tickets don't exist, sell their seats in the F cabin, and then when presented with the resulting oversold situation move those people to the back of Y?
An oversold situation could be the result of a computer buggage, similar to a scenario that would allow the purchase of a 4 mile F ticket to HNK.

I see it this way, if an F cabin is oversold, someone needs to be moved. Depending on the cost of the seat, compensation could be 160K miles, or 4 miles, Plus a Y seat of course.

Would it be bad form on UA's part, absolutely. But oversells in premium cabins, while rare have occurred.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
It's a shame SHARES sucks otherwise it would be great if they could notate every person who took advantage of the deal and go out of their way to apply every rule to the letter of the law. No exceptions. No breaks. No favors. As punitive as possible.
Why so vindictive? How does this hurt you?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by murphyUA
If UA had a history of these types of antics, obviously something would need to be done. This doesn't seem to be the case.
If you think there are going less of these mistakes if the DOT sides with United then you are in denial. United will start abusing a favorable ruling the second it comes out.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by dsquared37
I think he is worried his poppa won't fit well in the Y seat when his upgrades won't clear because of us

I can't wait to have my 1K status devalued even more because a bunch of overentitled whiny brats are upset that they can't fly to HKG in F for 8 miles and $45.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:48 pm

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
i'm just waiting for my 5,000 AA miles provided by Cartera for my hockey puck
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by dsquared37
^

For all the finger-wagging over people upset at UA, the nastiness toward those who bought these tickets is just as bad on this thread.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by colpuck
If you think there are going less of these mistakes if the DOT sides with United then you are in denial. United will start abusing a favorable ruling the second it comes out.
What are you talking about?

First, you obviously didn't understand what I said. All I said was this is the first time (at least to my knowledge) something like this has ever happened.

Secondly, please enlighten me as to why United would do this on purpose (which is what you are insinuating, I believe)?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:53 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Post #582
Originally Posted by Happy
Somebody actually made this silly complaint? based on what?
There is no where in the system when making booking one is asked his/her age, so where is a discrimination coming from?
Happy meet Frugal Travel Guy
Post #28
Originally Posted by Frugal Travel Guy
I appreciate your coming forward with your decision in a somewhat timely manner. Unfortunately others have already travelled for the receipted amount of 8 miles and it would be discriminatory to allow them to travel at that rate and not me. I am a senior citizen and couldn't make arrangements that quickly to travel yesterday.
I am in hopes you will change your mind and make an offer to those that are being shortchanged and could not travel yesterday. Compromise usually provides a much better outcome than having this dragged through the DOT and the press, particularly based on other recent UA issues that did not show UA in a favorable light with consumers.
Clarification. I think FTG was just saying that it was discriminating to those who could not fly at once day before yesterday. Although it appears that it was hia age that slowed him down so that he could not fly at once without other arrangements, but not that his age was specifically discriminated against..

You gotta READ these things you know...
I understand the mods making new threads out of it does not help, but still....
I am a little miffed - my best OP.
They took the godzilla of threads and bwoke my thread baby apart......

I have not had this much fun with a thread since the US share promos of 2009.

Last edited by ffI; Jul 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm
Old Jul 17, 2012, 8:56 pm

Programs: AOPA
where should DOT draw the line on the size of the error, for honoring the tickets?

4 miles?
40 miles?
400 miles?
4,000 miles?
40,000 miles?

Will the people say it is unethical to travel on the 4 miles fare be ok with a 40, 400, or 4000 miles mistake fare?

you can NOT tell me 4,000 or even 40,0000 miles for first class round trip tickets to HKG is ethical if you think 4 is unethical. what is the difference if you know a big error made by the United's IT department?

would you have taken advantage of the error at 4,000 or 40,000 miles?

I just don't see any difference. going 40 mph or 50 mph on a 30 mph road are both speeding.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:00 pm

I agree that UA should follow all rules set by DOT. (Full disclosure: I didn't take any advantage of this 4-mile redemption.)

It is a country with rules. All rules are well written by DOT and have come into play for some time. In other words, UA should have known the rules and get advised by their legal department, so they should follow rules unless they don't want to play this game (their business) anymore.

Some of you may sympathize UA on the potential great loss by this silly mistake. Honestly, I feel sorry about this but it is a business world. If a company gets bankrupt solely because of a wrong transaction, I will feel sorry about it, but the transaction cannot be reversed at the expense of others who obey rules to take advantages.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:01 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
I am flying incognito and in spirit only.
I was busy so I booked a free trip for my brother and his friend
Used my friends acct with 100 miles. No risk of 70k miles being taken later.
So who is going to punish me or my brother?
UA with no upgrades - he does not get any anyway. I am not flying -
could not get off work - else I would have flown day before yesterday.
I want to file for worker discrimination as those of us with real full time jobs could not fly at once to Hong Kong or China.
My name is not on ticket. So who is going to punish me with the law for what?

Last edited by ffI; Jul 17, 2012 at 9:31 pm
Old Jul 17, 2012, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Somebody actually made this silly complaint? based on what?

There is no where in the system when making booking one is asked his/her age, so where is a discrimination coming from?
Secure Flight Program requires a date of birth, besides other details. Yes, it's a rather silly complaint but UAL does know your age.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.