Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2012, 6:29 pm

Anyone get a $200.00 gift certificate from United that this article mentions? First time hearing about it. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...rfare-bargain/
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

El Al is honoring the 5000 fare mistakes sold this week.
UAL should follow their example.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Putting aside your slanted summary, you still don't see the obvious difference?

Cash paid = ticket may be honored - depends on carrier and amount at issue. $400-600 fare is not patently absurd in light of actual fare sales, particularly to uninformed consumer. Even $20 may not be absurd on a RyanAir route.

Miles used = extremely doubtful. 4 miles is patently absurd even to Joe Kettle who knows it takes 25k miles for a domestic saver (or perhaps 10k miles when there is a well-advertised promotion). Not a single consumer made a mistake here or was duped.

Get it yet?
300.00 is patently absurd as well. Get it yet?

Originally Posted by Microsando
Anyone get a $200.00 gift certificate from United that this article mentions? First time hearing about it. http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...rfare-bargain/
I know a voucher was being discussed, but not that any have been issued.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck
Actually, the ticket is for future travel.
No disrespect, but, I simply don't believe it.

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I doubt anyone has hade their tkt reinstated (except for those who were told at the beginning they could travel. The DOT has said nothing so far. Actually, they have said they cannot force an airline to reinstate these tkts (fines would do this but no fines have been issued. Just cuz some nameless, faceless person on FT says they have reinstated their tkt.......come on. I just said yesterday I could post UA is honoring my tkt, apologized and gave me 140,000 miles for my trouble and I'm sure some people on FT would take that as fact. Unless I see proof UA has honored any more tkts, it's BS as far as I'm concerned.
I agree. If UA reinstated even 1 ticket, I think it would get out. And if they reinstate 1, I think there would be several tickets and thus multiple stories.

Again, not trying to disrespect anyone, but, I do not believe it.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 110pgl
No disrespect, but, I simply don't believe it.
United can't claim a computer error when the ticket was booked over the phone. It takes out United's main argument for not honoring the tickets. It makes sense that tickets booked over the phone would be honored.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 7:57 pm

United can't claim a computer error when the ticket was booked over the phone. It takes out United's main argument for not honoring the tickets. It makes sense that tickets booked over the phone would be honored.
I had not thought of that. It is a good point. Can you verify the story or did you hear/see it else where?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had not thought of that. It is a good point. Can you verify the story or did you hear/see it else where?
It comes from a close friend of mine.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Semi OT but noticed a post on the FB page about UA trying to upfare someones unrelated standard award

If United quotes 50,000 miles for two domestic round trip tickets (total), accepts 50,000 miles in payment, and then after 24 hours of no confirmation we call to inquire and they confirm that a confirmation email will be sent in a few minutes, you would expect to be done and done. Right? But United says they made an error and it's actually 100,000 miles total and expects us to fork over the rest. Why am I paying for their mistake? We bought more miles to meet the necessary 50K and they already accepted our form of payment? Shouldn't they own up and honor what they told us and what was originally seen online?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just got this VIA FT PM I have redacted the identifying information. replacement information is in bold

Thought I'd say that our tickets are still intact for 2013 travel--all 3 of them. We booked the 4 mile deal (saver first with only one small leg in On an OAL), UA later took the miles out (not the full amount but enough to clean the account out) and we called and told them they didn't have the right to do that, and they returned all the miles and said they'd honor the tickets. The phone conversation happened Monday morning the day after the 4 mile offering.

The other interesting tidbit is two tickets, on the same PNR, show the 4 miles, while a one-way under a separate PNR shows 70K even though the miles were returned.

What I find very interesting, and perhaps compelling to the DOT, is if they didn't deduct the correct amount of miles initially, but when the did the manual deduction and it wasn't for the "published" amount is that a form of manipulation after the fact?
Old Aug 8, 2012, 8:43 pm

It comes from a close friend of mine.
Thanks. I take you at your word and I believe you.
Old Aug 8, 2012, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
I don't get it. Do you mean to say that just because a ticket is booked over the phone means the Agent did not have to use a computer? Do you think the Agent was writing a manual ticket with a pen like the 80s???? The Agent also had to use a computer to issue the ticket.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by DFWsakp
I don't get it. Do you mean to say that just because a ticket is booked over the phone means the Agent did not have to use a computer? Do you think the Agent was writing a manual ticket with a pen like the 80s???? The Agent also had to use a computer to issue the ticket.
Even I have to admit that a tkt booked by phone is a whole different ball game. I'm sure UA does not want to see it that way but I don't see how they can argue against it successfully. The phone agent is a live sales person. Maybe UA will learn if they have to honor a few tkts issued this way that call centers in India don't save money, they just piss off customers who on average spend twice as long on the phone w them. A lot of banks, etc have already learned this

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
El Al is honoring the 5000 fare mistakes sold this week.
UAL should follow their example.
ElAl charged the FULL fare on this. They forgot to add the fuel surcharge to the price. The tkts were still aprx $400. If you can't see the difference, I don't know what to tell you

(it is very common for Fuel Surcharges to be more then the actual fare itself. Since the airlines keep all of this I can't see how the DOT or European, Australian, etc agencies have not made this illegal but they haven't. The "base fare" to TLV is aprx $400 so that's not a mistake. They just forgot to load the fuel charge (haha). Even a reasonable person who hardly flys could believe this was a sale. I'm sure if UA had the same glitch & charged the fare but no fees we would not be arguing as they would also probably honor the tkts (El Al is not losing any money on this)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 9, 2012 at 5:07 am Reason: merge
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:09 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
Even I have to admit that a tkt booked by phone is a whole different ball game. I'm sure UA does not want to see it that way but I don't see how they can argue against it successfully. The phone agent is a live sales person. Maybe UA will learn if they have to honor a few tkts issued this way that call centers in India don't save money, they just piss off customers who on average spend twice as long on the phone w them. A lot of banks, etc have already learned this
Let me get this straight, they honor a 4 mile ticket on the phone, but they shouldn't honor one for the same value on the internet?

So, it's only a mistake because their live person entered it into the same booking system. When our live people entered the same route for the same price, it's not the same ballgame? Now it's a cancel-able mistake.

This logic cracks me up.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

(El Al is not losing any money on this)
Irrelevant.
Old Aug 9, 2012, 3:15 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Let me get this straight, they honor a 4 mile ticket on the phone, but they shouldn't honor one for the same value on the internet?

So, it's only a mistake because their live person entered it into the same booking system. When our live people entered the same route for the same price, it's not the same ballgame? Now it's a cancel-able mistake.

This logic cracks me up.
That's not my logic but it looks like its Uniteds. I don't think they should honor any of them. However, I see where the DOT is more likely to get involved when someone spoke to a LIVE person. This is NOT my view, only what I see happening

Originally Posted by sonofzeus
Irrelevant.
True, it's irrelevant regarding how much money (if any one carrier loses vs another). I said that because I bet if ElAl was losing money, they would not be as quick to honor these tkts

Also, there is a BIG difference still between the LY & UA situations (IMO)

LY-mistake fare
UA-just "mistake" (no fare)

Last edited by iluv2fly; Aug 9, 2012 at 5:10 am Reason: merge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.