Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:11 am

This morning the twittersphere is abuzz with the travelocity $200 coupon for flight/hotel with no minimum spend as folks figure out ways to game the website by booking stays in cheap-o hotels in Asia they have no intention of ever staying in or vice versa. Obviously TL has screwed up the coupon here as it's not in the business of taking off $200 from airfares or hotel stays unless it's profitable. So call it a "mistake coupon."

I'm trying to figure out why this 4 mile award deal ignited such a firestorm of criticism while I haven't heard or read a single peep about how folks getting in on this deal are ripping off travelocity. As I go through the moral arguments raised in this thread (UA didn't mean to deceive anyone, customers knew it was too good to be true, obvious mistake, these customers aren't true loyalists, etc), I find they can easily apply to travelocity if TL decides to cancel all bookings under this coupon and start over. And yet, I suspect if TL did that, the outcry would be equally ferocious.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:16 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by Fredd
..For faux pas you could substitute faux pax.
Good one ^ !

The stowaway in the overhead, so to say.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by colpuck
The DOT and UA are looking for a way to settle this dispute.
Is this speculation or insider knowledge?

I've been taking a time out from posting here -- surprise, surprise, I've had nothing new to add -- but reading the recent posts, tow things occurred to me.

First, I know it's been hinted at here and there, but to my knowledge not spelled out: This HKG situation is really complicated. Even putting aside the award-as-opposed-to-revenue aspect, there are a lot of variables at play: standard vs. saver awards; all-UA vs. *A itins; had vs. didn't have the RDMs to cover the amended cost of one or more bookings; already flown vs. not flown; and booked a couple vs. a dozen or more seats. If UA's "solution" is ruled invalid by the DoT, what is UA supposed to do? Refunding RDMs is one thing, but reinstating all of the cancelled tickets may not be possible. But then what do you do? It's all a mess.

Second, what are the odds that we won't hear anything more, ever, from UA and the DoT about this? I've been going on the assumption that, based on the complaints and the press attention, the DoT would, at some point, have to make some public statement, but is that the case? Is it possible that it will all end with a whimper rather than a bang?

Originally Posted by bangkokiscool
I'm trying to figure out why this 4 mile award deal ignited such a firestorm of criticism while I haven't heard or read a single peep about how folks getting in on this deal are ripping off travelocity. As I go through the moral arguments raised in this thread (UA didn't mean to deceive anyone, customers knew it was too good to be true, obvious mistake, these customers aren't true loyalists, etc), I find they can easily apply to travelocity if TL decides to cancel all bookings under this coupon and start over. And yet, I suspect if TL did that, the outcry would be equally ferocious.
As some have opined, MRs usually don't get discussed at length in the relevant airline's forum -- they get discussed in the MR forums, where those who find taking advantage of such things immoral self-select themselves out of the conversation. Because the HKG situation was not mileage earning, it wound up in the UA forum, where people who normally ignore such things had it pushed under their noses. It sounds like this TL thing affects all bookings...that means the opposition to it is likely to be diffuse. I would imagine that if, say, HH was "selling" all of its hotel rooms worldwide at 1 point per night, and someone posted about it in the HH forum, you'd see a similar circus as in this thread...

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:27 am Reason: multi-quote
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:35 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
Originally Posted by Firewind
colpuck earlier said that s/he previously worked in FAA (not DOT) enforcement.
colpuck specifically stated that the information came from United.

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Some FFPs call it an award, some a reward. Perhaps you should speak to them about who mixes up what.
Instead of rolling your eyes at me, read the thread. In post #3031, weero rolled eyes at a previous poster who used "reward" instead of "award," I was was defending that poster against snarkiness.

Originally Posted by weero
When did whistleblowing become unethical?
It is not whistleblowing to leak confidential company information to someone suing the company for personal gain. Whistleblowing is alerting the general public or the authorities to illegal or unethical practices.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by burmans
Are you seriously suggesting the way they would enforce a rule would be to change it to have a quite different meaning?
Yes.

There is something definitely delaying any enforcement action against UA. I am only speculating as to possible outcomes of their investigation, however, the public comments from the DOT since the 4-Mile Fiasco have indicated that they are looking at the intent of the law/rule and whether UA's practices were "deceptive".

Thus, they may be considering changing the interpretation of the rule to apply to only those instances where the fare mistake was an "unfair and deceptive practice".

Here, I believe, are the most recent DOT comments on the situation:

"As you may be aware, the Department recently issued a regulation, 14 CFR 399.88, that is intended to prevent airlines from unfairly and deceptively raising the price of a ticket after a consumer has paid in full and purchased that ticket. As stated in the regulation, such conduct would constitute a prohibited unfair and deceptive practice under a statute enacted by Congress, 49 USC 41712. The goal of our investigation is to determine whether UAL has acted unfairly or deceptively to consumers who acquired Mileage Plus Awards tickets as described above. Please note that, regardless of the outcome of our investigation, consumers are free to pursue claims (e.g., a breach of contract claim) against the airline in an appropriate civil court for monetary damages and other remedies particular to their situation."

For reference, here is the link:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...om+the+Wing%29

Last edited by zombietooth; Jul 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
This morning the twittersphere is abuzz with the travelocity $200 coupon for flight/hotel with no minimum spend as folks figure out ways to game the website by booking stays in cheap-o hotels in Asia they have no intention of ever staying in or vice versa. Obviously TL has screwed up the coupon here as it's not in the business of taking off $200 from airfares or hotel stays unless it's profitable. So call it a "mistake coupon."

At least they had the good sense to limit it to 3,500 bookings so their max exposure is $700K... assuming their IT system knows how to count.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by burmans
Are you seriously suggesting the way they would enforce a rule would be to change it to have a quite different meaning?
I don't think the regulation ever intended for airlines to be frauded for millions of dollars due to obvious IT glitches.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by allofthelights
I don't think the regulation ever intended for airlines to be frauded for millions of dollars due to obvious IT glitches.
No doubt you are referring to Korean Airlines.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Fail.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer, US Air DM, VelocityRewards, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by as219
Second, what are the odds that we won't hear anything more, ever, from UA and the DoT about this? I've been going on the assumption that, based on the complaints and the press attention, the DoT would, at some point, have to make some public statement, but is that the case? Is it possible that it will all end with a whimper rather than a bang?
Well there was no public statement in the RGN case but that's not the same as nothing happening.
At a minimum I think those who had the multi-leg booking had a reasonable case so am expecting to hear something.

Originally Posted by zombietooth
There is something definitely delaying any enforcement action against UA. I am only speculating as to possible outcomes of their investigation, however, the public comments from the DOT since the 4-Mile Fiasco have indicated that they are looking at the intent of the law/rule and whether UA's practices were "deceptive".
Agree that this is the case but also note that this is not about whether this is a mistake or not, UA's language has moved away from saying this is a mistake to saying that you were informed all along as to what the right fare was. I see no evidence in DOT's language about the fact that the basic concept of a mistake is being reviewed.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 29, 2012 at 10:21 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by uwr
..It is not whistleblowing to leak confidential company information to someone suing the company for personal gain. Whistleblowing is alerting the general public or the authorities to illegal or unethical practices.
Given the circumstances, UA might definitely attempt something which is not lawful or at least not in the spirit of the law. So it is whistleblowing. Preemptive but whistleblowing.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP(.96MM), AMEX Platinum, United Premier Silver, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum 50, Hilton Gold VIP

FYI AA vacations, orbitz, expedia, and travelocity often runs these vacation package promos and they get game'd all the time.. did you miss out on them? It happens every year and they do not cancel them.. it gets honored.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:01 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
The airline was not frauded.
The airline asked for 4 miles for payment, the customer agreed. How is that fraud

So anytime that Spirit has had $9 sales, any passenger who was lucky enough to score a seat at that fare should be worried that they're committing fraud ? How can the customer be expected to differentiate between a mistake fare versus low ball, free publicity grabbing promo fare ??

To put it another way ...
(debating UA's rebuttal that the stated price all over the web/FF T&C/etc that such a fare is NOT priced at 4 miles, thus we're ok) ...
You walk into the "DollarOrTwo" store to buy a widget.
As you walk in, you see the big poster stating "all items priced between $1 and $2"
That concerns you a wee bit since you're only here because your friend said they had widgets for 22 cents.
You need a new widget so bad that you'd pay $1 or 2 for one, but 22 cents would be so sweet !
You find the widgets. The price sticker says $1 with no promo type sales sign to be seen.
You need it so pick one up, ready to pay $1, but thinking about asking the clerk about the $0.22 price your friend paid.
Lo-n-behold, despite the banner at the store entry, or the shelf price, the clerk says "22 cents please".
As you walk out the door, the inventory control alarm rings.
The security guard sees you're trying to leave the store with a $1 item that you only paid 22 cents for.
  • is it right for security to arrest you for fraud ?
  • is it right for security to demand you pay the remaining 78 cents before you can leave the store ?

I'm sorry. UA advertised the price. They're committed to it.
Nothing wrong with stopping the misquotes as soon as they noticed them, but those reservations quoted at the mistake fare need to be honored. The "form of payment" is irrelevant. This was UA's mistake, not the customer's.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:29 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by steve64
....How can the customer be expected to differentiate between a mistake fare versus low ball, free publicity grabbing promo fare ??....
Maybe when one part of the page stated one price (more or less the normal price) and other part listed a very different, very unusual price (which had not been promoted by the airline)???
It sort hard to say that 99.9% of the folks that when this route did not realize it was a fare mistake, as it was hyped in the internet blogs.

The issue as to if UA should honor the fare mistake or not, is a valid issue -- but there is no confusion as to if this was a fare mistake or not.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by steve64
How can the customer be expected to differentiate between a mistake fare versus low ball, free publicity grabbing promo fare ??
by calling the airline and asking them if there is a promotion going on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.