Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Noodlesz
I don't think it's fair for those giving UA a hard time about this. Award mileage requirements are clearly posted on their web site so this is an obvious erroneous error. Revenue tickets are a different story since prices constantly change and there's no set price.

I feel it's naive to believe someone is entitled to this ticket for only 4 miles and think UA has been nice enough to honor even tickets through July 21. While I'm all about getting things for free I think if you want to make complains to the DOT you are really just trying to take advantage of something you shouldn't have received anyway. It's like finding a million dollars in your account and shocked when the bank wants it back. Better off sticking with mistake fares since those will be honored. :-D

However, if you did already depart on your trip, congrats!
Under normal circumstances it might not be fair, however this case is definitely another straw that breaks many FTer's back, or a chance to revenge.

They just dont care, dont care about customer satisfaction, dont care about their fame.

Well, I'm really curious why AC is not screwing most Canadians even when they have a more significant advantages in its market.

Now who still remembers the Karma discussion in the last few days? UA is just enemifying people to hit back eye-to-eye.

Programs: UA, SPG, Hilton, Mrt., PC, Hertz
Thumbs up

I feel like I have been glued to some sort of Reality Twilight Zone for Obsessed Flyers!!

The party is over. Hope everyone had fun. It was entertaining and fun to watch!

Originally Posted by West Coast Ace
Yeah, all in favor of a Low Fare Czar, say 'aye'! (/sarcasm)
I would accept if the DoT came back and said it was making a one-time exception for United given there was obviously no intent to deceive anyone, the error was quickly fixed (i.e. they removed Hong Kong from the award booking engine), while acknowledging that United broke the rules and mistakes are in general United's problem.

I will be disappointed if there is some technicality that allows UA to escape the DoT regulations, but I really do believe we need such protections. Buying plane tickets (and, for that matter, hotel rooms, other travel services, etc.) ain't like buying TVs.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Will that include future purchases where the customer knew that he/she was doing something akin to fraud and taking advantage of an honest -- if regrettable and stupid -- mistake?
We get it, you're obviously of higher moral standard than us "fraudsters". How many times do we have to hear the sermons?

How is this any different than RGN or any other obvious mistake fare? I assume all the moral lecturers have never, and will never, fly a mistake fare regardless of magnitude. And never FD either (which, one could argue is worse since it's purposely seeking out to take money away from a "normal" purchase for a given trip)?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by mabramovich
Well, in December, Aeroplan ran an F-for-J and J-for-Y promo, as you may know about. There, the award charts had the standard rates but lower mileages popped up when selecting flights. Granted, they weren't 4 miles, but they certainly weren't the standard rates. Aeroplan did not say anything about this promo (but eventually did acknowledge there was a promotion if you asked about it when calling in). So how are we supposed to know that wasn't a mistake but this one is? Could Aeroplan cancel whichever tickets are left and say "well, you know, we actually goofed and never meant to have a promo."

Obviously, I'd like to fly to HKG for 4 miles, but more importantly (well ok, not more), I'd like to see that the DoT actually protects us!
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

Furthermore, I think UA have to prove this which everyone redeemed his/her tickets knew it was not true.
Did anybody see it?
UA said so, how? This is a typical false statement.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Silver/Marriott Gold/Hilton Gold
I think the one thing we can all learn from this thread is that everyone on FT is most definitely unilaterally entitled.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:34 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Well, in December, Aeroplan ran an F-for-J and J-for-Y promo, as you may know about. There, the award charts had the standard rates but lower mileages popped up when selecting flights. Granted, they weren't 4 miles, but they certainly weren't the standard rates. Aeroplan did not say anything about this promo (but eventually did acknowledge there was a promotion if you asked about it when calling in). So how are we supposed to know that wasn't a mistake but this one is? Could Aeroplan cancel whichever tickets are left and say "well, you know, we actually goofed and never meant to have a promo."

Obviously, I'd like to fly to HKG for 4 miles, but more importantly (well ok, not more), I'd like to see that the DoT actually protects us!
AA recently ran a promo as well cutting the award rate by a half for flights to Asia. Technically, it's not entirely unreasonable for a person to assume that this is a once-in-a-lifetime deal or pricing error at that. Also, the fact that there were two prices posted does not mean that the higher price is the correct pricing at that time. Online retailers/website typically show a higher pre-total price but charge a lower (sale) price.

Btw, their claim that up to the booking the advertised price is their regular redemption rate is entirely invalid. The 4-mile rate was quoted in the step where the UA's website asked one to review the itinerary and quoted other options for purchasing the ticket without having to redeem the meager 4 miles. Simply put, an argument could be made that the 4-mile rate is part of their advertised fare having been displayed as one of the alternative to acquiring the ticket.

I hope the DOT took this into account during their negotiation process and no wrongful information was given to them. The press seems to have gotten this wrong so I'm assuming that UA is playing this angle (i.e., the 4-miles-only-shows-in-the-end-so-it's-not-our-advertised-fare baloney).

Last edited by Bacopa; Jul 19, 2012 at 9:50 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
We get it, you're obviously of higher moral standard than us "fraudsters". How many times do we have to hear the sermons?

How is this any different than RGN or any other obvious mistake fare? I assume all the moral lecturers have never, and will never, fly a mistake fare regardless of magnitude. And never FD either (which, one could argue is worse since it's purposely seeking out to take money away from a "normal" purchase for a given trip)?
Also dont forget you can never wake up a guy who pretends being asleep, so just let it be.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2012 at 9:57 pm Reason: language
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Bacopa
AA recently ran a promo as well cutting the award rate by a half for flights to Asia. Technically, it's not entirely unreasonable for a person to assume that this is a once-in-a-lifetime deal or pricing error at that. Also, the fact that there were two prices posted does not mean that the higher price is the correct pricing at that time. Online retailers/website typically show a higher pre-total price but charge a lower (sale) price.
Two prices were displayed but United chose to sell the ticket at the lower price before getting into seller`s remorse.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:41 pm

Programs: AOPA
think about the example below.

A person bought the 4 miles ticket to HK on July 31st, 2012. The ticket was purchased and ticketed on Sunday July 15th. He/she does not check any of the blogs or forum, and booked all the hotel in HK.

Assume United does not contact him/her about the cancelation of the ticket. he/she shows up at the airport on July 31st, 2012 to check in. which he/she learned the ticket was canceled.

what is his/hers recourse against United? I would assume DOT will have something to say about that?

I would think DOT would have required United to communicated to the travelers before canceling the tickets.

It is interesting there is really never an "official" communication from United. why are they so worried about putting things on paper?
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:42 pm

What happened to the 2007 statement that United will honor all its mistake,,,

Originally Posted by teddy25

A person bought the 4 miles ticket to HK on July 31st, 2012. The ticket was purchased and ticketed on Sunday July 15th. He/she does not check any of the blogs or forum, and booked all the hotel in HK.

Assume United does not contact him/her about the cancelation of the ticket. he/she shows up at the airport on July 31st, 2012 to check in. which he/she learned the ticket was canceled.

what is his/hers recourse against United? I would assume DOT will have something to say about that?

I would think DOT would have required United to communicated to the travelers before canceling the tickets.

It is interesting there is really never an "official" communication from United. why are they so worried about putting things on paper?
+1

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by flyer31
What happened to the 2007 statement that United will honor all its mistake,,,
Oh but you are mistaken my friend...this was no mistake, this was a "programming error." Obviously those are very different......

United sucks....I'm going to American......where they answer my elite status line in less than 3 minutes.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by teddy25

Or how about 22 July? I mean that's in 3 days.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:48 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Or how about 22 July? I mean that's in 3 days.
Nobody makes hotel reservations more than 3 days in advance, don't be silly.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:48 pm

I understand all of the people who bought these tickets constantly checking this thread and posting their opinions, but I dont get why someone who didnt get in on this "deal" spends so much time in this thread strictly for the purpose of flaming on the people who did. Seems pathetic to me. I mean, you want to state your opinion once then by all means, but constantly rehashing it and arguing with those that disagree when you dont have a dog in the fight is just pointless.

As far as the deal, whatever the outcome is there is no question that UA could have handled this way better. Could they have handled it worse? Sure, but since when is that an excuse?
Its just a sign of an airline that doesnt have good leadership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.