Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Well done UA! Good move to cancel those tickets which had insufficient miles for redemption.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:07 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by hobo13
Given that it is 8 PM in Chicago / Houston, I expect this is another lie.
About two minutes ago, I received an email from Customer Service about a different matter I'd written them about.

In fact, I just checked my last couple of emails from Customer Service or Smisek's office and found that they occurred after 10pm Central time.

I have a lot of beefs with United; the hard-working-ness of the CS staff or their "lying" [sic] isn't one of them.

Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Well done UA! Good move to cancel those tickets which had insufficient miles for redemption.
Concur.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I suggest to everyone to stop arguing the points back and forth, and submit your DOT complaint if you feel like doing so.

I believe United had a contract in the form of a ticket with me, they now must deliver.
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Given that it is 8 PM in Chicago / Houston, I expect this is another lie.
Now, now... I am as critical as anyone of UA these days, but I don't doubt at all that there are folks who have been detailed to making contact (after the fact of cancellation, of course!) and who are already on the task.

What I am curious about is how many heads are rolling in IT for even allowing this to happen to begin with... I do think the buck needs to stop somewhere at the top with those responsible for saddling us with such crappy systems!
Suspended

Originally Posted by sal2009
semantics....and besides the dot said so themselves that award ticket do fall under the law.

Also UNITED: You guys are a bunch of liars too.....remember that statement you bragged about in the wsj article a couple years ago....i think you said something along the lines of you would always honor any mistake, "no matter how large." LIARS....Again...bad company.
who promised that if PMCO well CO is no longer at least legally, if UA well once CO took them over they can undo those things. If it was said after the merge was done then I agree with You
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Well we won the lottery: traveling to HKG this weekend. I'm disappointed that my trip to SIN in the spring was canceled though. However, unlike others, I'm not going to storm the castle.
Congrats. Glad you won!

I think the only lesson I've learned from this experience is if there's ever a crazy award redemption amount loaded by an airline, fly IMMEDIATELY!

I probably could have travelled this week. Oh, sure, it would have been inconvenient for me, but a free FC trip to HKG? If only I had known. I had to be rational and put my lottery ticket in for a "convenient" vacation time.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Well-done. ^ Thanks for hanging in here in the face of all the rudeness and attacks.
+1

While I don't think people trying to get their 4 miles redemptions to HKG are doing anything unethical, I also don't think there was any harm done on the part of UA.

As parents sometimes say to children, "some day we'll look back on this and laugh."
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cblaisd
About two minutes ago, I received an email from Customer Service about a different matter I'd written them about.

In fact, I just checked my last couple of emails from Customer Service or Smisek's office and found that they occurred after 10pm Central time.

I have a lot of beefs with United; the hard-working-ness of the CS staff or their "lying" [sic] isn't one of them.
Not one FTer has posted that they have been contacted.

Want to take a bet that there are no reports of such until at least 6AM CDT tomorrow? I'm giving you 9 hours to cash-in.

If you don't take the bet, I stand by my position. They are 'in the process' of contacting...... no one.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:11 pm

It's travel BEFORE July 21st.

That means you fly tomorrow but not Saturday.

edit: i was wrong, saturday as well
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, I want to provide you with a further update on our Hong Kong award programming error from this past weekend. Specifically here’s how we are proceeding with these reservations:
  • For those customers who had sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles were deducted at the time of redemption. Any customers who do not intend to use the published number of miles for their ticket may cancel their reservation without paying a fee and we will refund all miles, taxes and fees.

• For those customers who did not have sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles could not be deducted at the time of redemption. These tickets have been canceled for non-payment and all taxes and fees have been refunded.

• For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

We are in the process of communicating with affected customers at this time. Once again, we appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
the way united handled this matter is unprofessional and disappointing. letting some people travel and others not. promising to be in touch, and then just canceling without a word. making a mistake, and not providing customers with some sort of compensation like some miles or a travel voucher.

what do I write in my DOT complaint?

Originally Posted by Jesperss

on or before
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by Jesperss

It said:

"begin travel on or before July 21"

Not one FTer has posted that they have been contacted.

Want to take a bet that there are no reports of such until at least 6AM CDT tomorrow? I'm giving you 9 hours to cash-in.

If you don't take the bet, I stand by my position. They are 'in the process' of contacting...... no one.
I agree....but i think you won't even get that much courtesy....look at how much they suck...all we will get an email....that's it.

Originally Posted by UA Insider
Hi Everyone, I want to provide you with a further update on our Hong Kong award programming error from this past weekend. Specifically here’s how we are proceeding with these reservations:
  • For those customers who had sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles were deducted at the time of redemption. Any customers who do not intend to use the published number of miles for their ticket may cancel their reservation without paying a fee and we will refund all miles, taxes and fees.

• For those customers who did not have sufficient mileage in their account for the correct award amount, the correct amount of miles could not be deducted at the time of redemption. These tickets have been canceled for non-payment and all taxes and fees have been refunded.

• For those customers who have already begun travel, or are ticketed to begin travel on or before July 21, we will not cancel these tickets and will allow travel to be completed in full. This is intended as an accommodation to those customers whose travel is already underway or the departure date to begin travel is imminent.
We hope you’ll agree this was a unique circumstance. Unlike other widely reported “mistake fares,” the number of miles required for these awards – the correct purchase price – was clearly disclosed to customers throughout the MileagePlus award redemption process and is also available on our MileagePlus travel award chart.

We are in the process of communicating with affected customers at this time. Once again, we appreciate your understanding.

Shannon Kelly
Director, Customer Insights
United Airlines
Hi, I'd like to pay a change fee and start my trip tomorrow. I think the fee for that is $75 for each of my tickets according to your site. I mean, you did say that anybody that is starting their trip tomorrow could still fly, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.