Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UAs Official Response to HKG Ticketing/IT Error: Redeem @ Correct Amount or Redeposit

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:28 pm

I'd probably settle for some miles or a voucher
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:31 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
Ha! So it seems there ARE errors they CAN resolve quickly.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by cjermain
I'm not a lawyer, and I know nothing about DOT regs on error fares, but I know enough about contract law to know that for a contract to be valid, you need consideration. When you book an award ticket, something of value has to flow from United to you (the flights) and from you to United (they get miles off of their books). As I understand it, the law looks at the presence of consideration (not fairness or adequacy) but somehow I think that 4 miles qualifies as the absence of consideration on UA's part! Plus, let's be real everyone: if you booked the 4-mile fare, you knew it was an error and not a real offer. That also would seem (to me) to influence whether there was consideration.

Any real lawyers what to chime in?

Still, I'll be totally floored if people don't get some sort of goodwill gift (miles or certs) from UA. Just some small token. If UA gives nothing, it'll show that they are truly as messed up these days as most people argue they are. After all, this was their screw up.

Amen to your last paragraph. As to the consideration issue, it would be more of an issue if the DOT did not specifically have the mistake rule, which basically says the fare has to be honored whether there is sufficient consideration or not. But even absent the DOT regs, the consideration they requested at the time of booking was paid and the tickets were issued. There is no doubt some consideration was exchanged, albeit minimal.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by davidbridgman
Save the sermon. This is a matter of federal law and whether it was/is being followed by UA. And if the choices being offered to us by UA do not even acknowledge a violation, the parties involved have no choice but to fully pursue the remedies available to them under the law. That's just the way the law works, you know that. If UA doesn't want to play nice, we shouldn't either.
Just because the law allows it doesn't mean you don't have a choice whether to pursue the matter or not. Remember, laws have allowed things we probably all deem to be wrong, but that didn't necessarily make doing that thing more or less right. In this case the DOT will make a recommendation, and they probably have more leeway than most courts do on actual intent of the law and willingness to set precedent.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AAExP, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cdegt
Everyone has booked all should knew that most of pages displayed no mileage requirements at all which should be displayed below the fare type icons. Only confirmation page displayed the "required miles" which was normal and "total miles" which was 4 or 8.
Just as an FYI my confirmation page showed 4 miles Required and Total Miles of 4 as well. It did not show what UA says was the 'disclosed' amount as I worked my way through booking. Not that it seems to matter....
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by JC1120
Just because the law allows it doesn't mean you don't have a choice whether to pursue the matter or not. Remember, laws have allowed things we probably all deem to be wrong, but that didn't necessarily make doing that thing more or less right.

Very true, but in my view UA is violating federal law by trying to rescind these tickets. They do not have the right to do it. They made a mistake and they are trying to get off unscathed. But they don't let us off unscathed. When things seem fair to us and they want a fee the answer is RULES RULES RULES. Turnabout is just fair play, I'm going to enforce every last entitlement of the rules just like they would on a 51 pound bag.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
It's days like today, when I'm embarrassed to be an online member of Milepoint and Flyertalk.

If you want to live a healthy stress-free life, move on. I won't bother with additional editorial comment, since it's already been discussed (not on this thread, but on many threads over the years).

If you're keeping score over the years, we've done well.

$25 fare SFO/CDG on UA
$20 BA fare in WT from the US to Europe/Middle east
$2.00 fare to ART (Watertown NY)
$1500 biz class fare NY/SYD/Auckland on UA
Larnaca fare
$25 room at the W Times Sq (that was a good one)
Etc etc etc.

dh
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sal2009
I agree...I'd suggest everyone say "no." when they ask you to make a choice, just say no. say you bought a confirmed ticket....which was then ticketed by them and you expect them to honor it. see what they do....i'm not so sure they would cancel it. if it is the law...for all we know this is their way of decreasing their final costs of their screwup.
Really?

What you bought is a ticket to fly first class to Asia for four (4) miles.

Obviously a mistake. Move on, people.

(Though I do agree with the following sentiment - if UA can cancel tickets when it makes mistakes, clearly customers should be given the same latitude.)
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:45 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by fragment54
You'll get miles (8 of them).
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Very true, but in my view UA is violating federal law by trying to rescind these tickets. They do not have the right to do it. They made a mistake and they are trying to get off unscathed. But they don't let us off unscathed. When things seem fair to us and they want a fee the answer is RULES RULES RULES. Turnabout is just fair play, I'm going to enforce every last entitlement of the rules just like they would on a 51 pound bag.
Why dont you start the petitioning of filing a class lawsuit on this? Since you keep harping about there is Federal Laws being violated and "we" should pursuit to the fullest extent of the Letter of the Law...

Take action, show your color to UA and argue your case in the Federal Court, instead of an internet website!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by dhammer53
$25 fare SFO/CDG on UA
$20 BA fare in WT from the US to Europe/Middle east
$2.00 fare to ART (Watertown NY)
$1500 biz class fare NY/SYD/Auckland on UA
Larnaca fare
$25 room at the W Times Sq (that was a good one)
Etc etc etc.
Yeah, I got the Lanarca fare (that is Cyprus, right)? I also remember something sweet to Rome, no?
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by iahphx
The other thing UA should do is throw a bone to the "disappointed" HKG ticket holders.

AA's shopping website company offered 2500 miles "on your next purchase" to anyone who bought one of those silly $5 Verizon products in the hopes of snagging the "promised" 80,000 AA miles.

UA could easily offer 5000 miles off your next award ticket (maybe with a 30 day time frame) to everyone who's getting their HKG rez cancelled.

Who's doing PR for this company? Use your noggin. Don't look like the heartless, uncaring huge corporation that your critics are making you out to be.
I've got no skin in this one but I agree they should throw everyone 5-10k miles to the people getting their reservations cancelled. Also people are much more likely to voluntarily cancel their reservation is you do. To all the people saying that UA has had lawyers looking over this I'm sure they have and I'm sure they figured that very few people will actually sue them or even file with the DOT hence it's worth the risk.
Cheers
Howie

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fragment54
Considering how they used to hand out vouchers like candy.....

It seems they could make this whole issue go away with a $250 e-cert for each booking.... no stupid minimum spend, no strings. Simple e-cert.

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Good luck fighting this battle. I am willing to bet that the DOT won't do anything to UA. This one just isn't worth your time since the odds of success will be so low.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: Hilton G/SPG G/IHG RA/Accor P/Aeroplan Elite/CZ S
Originally Posted by miffSC
Just as an FYI my confirmation page showed 4 miles Required and Total Miles of 4 as well. It did not show what UA says was the 'disclosed' amount as I worked my way through booking. Not that it seems to matter....
on my confirmations fare price displayed like sample below:

Purchase Summary

2 award 130,000 miles
additional $103.40
taxes/fees
-----------------------------------
Total Price 8 Miles and
$103.40

It didn't even mention "miles required"
at least for me, there are many ways to interpret this@:-) let alone the receipt we've received.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.