Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread isTo split or not to split PNR
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drewguy
However, all three have been a result of the auto-split at check in. Maybe try splitting at T-36 to see whether the result is the same?
Yep, I called to split around T-36. They said my companion wouldn't inherit the benefits. I'll share what happens.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke777
Yep, I called to split around T-36. They said my companion wouldn't inherit the benefits. I'll share what happens.
My Gold companion didn't inherit the benefits on the return. I've already cleared one return leg but my companion has not. Looks like if benefits are carrying on, it only applies when the auto-splitting at T-24 occurs. At least I got my upgrades...
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Thanks for the report back @Duke777. Good to be able to piece together how things are working (or not working) now.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Another follow-up for researchers.

On-line, I could only change seats one at a time, and MsCP had a charge. I had to call - the agent first told me he couldn't move her to E+ without a fee because they were split, but then said "let me try this other internal system" and got it done.

I asked whether we would both be on the upgrade list and the response was "I think you may need to do that at the airpor....no wait, I can see you both on it now. You've both been added"

We were not. I didn't bother as both flights were checked in full or -1 and I was already 4 or lower.

I must say that this whole "ruin the rest of your trip's reservations just to get a shot at an upgrade" is the dumbest scheme I've seen in a while.

It was interesting to look at the upgrade status for our flight down and see Booked with a number and "(+1 blocked)" after it. Apparently Cedric the Entertainer, who sat in the row in front of me, blocked the seat next to him - paid for, I assume.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
So, looking at recent experiences on this thread, seems benefits survive a split PNR for the return now, and seem to be consistent. Is this accurate?

We're going to LAX in a couple of weeks, 2 silver adults and a non-status child (4), (plus a lap infant, which should be pretty irrelevant). If we decide to split on the outbound, am I correct that each of the 3 ticketed travelers on the return should automatically:
  1. Get the silver 1 bag allowance
  2. Be on the [invisible] pre-check in CPU list
  3. Assuming upgrades haven't cleared at T-24, be able to select E+ for free at check in (which, since split, would require 3 separate check ins)
  4. Be placed on the upgrade standby list at the gate, after check in
Appreciate any confirmation.

Also, anyone know if IRROPS/automated re-booking would put us altogether if we needed that? Not expecting that would be the case, but asking just to see if anyone knows.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
If I were you, I'd split the children off to a silver adult each. There is no benefit at all in both of the Silvers staying on the same PNR.

End result is the same number of check-ins, but easier to manage and a better chance on the UG list (i know, it's silver) but still...right now you will only clear if 3 are open.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 5:46 pm

Programs: United Gold
I just became a Silver and flew first time with my son last week.

We ended up splitting the PNR at T-24, checked in online. Bag benefit did follow my son but being able to choose E+ seat was a challenge. For 2nd leg of the trip, we weren't able to chose E+ seat ( was asking for payment ), but ended up getting the upgrade so it wasn't an issue, there were plenty open seats in first class.
For the return trip, same thing happened for the 2nd leg. I ended up calling the Premier reservation line because we weren't going to be upgraded, first class was full. I was on the phone for 15-20min for to have my son to sit next to me in the E+ section.

Is there a procedure that I should be following? I have to be doing something wrong.
Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by opusx100
I just became a Silver and flew first time with my son last week.

We ended up splitting the PNR for CPU at T-24, checked in online. Bag benefit did follow my son but being able to choose E+ seat was a challenge. For 2nd leg of the trip, we weren't able to chose E+ seat ( was asking for payment ), but ended up getting the upgrade so it wasn't an issue.

For the return trip, same thing happened for the 2nd leg. Ended up calling the Premier reservation line and was on the phone for 15-20 for to have my son to sit next to me in the E+ section.

Is there a procedure that I should be following? I have to be doing something wrong.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!!!
don't know specifically about the return of the split, which is what I was just asking about here. However, for E+ For silvers, when checking in, the 2nd (or later) leg will show a charge when selecting the seat if that flight is still more than 24 hours away from departure. However, selecting the seat won’t charge you. You’ll know because after completing seat selection, there won’t be a purchase page asking for your card.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: United Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe

don't know specifically about the return of the split, which is what I was just asking about here. However, for E+ For silvers, when checking in, the 2nd (or later) leg will show a charge when selecting the seat if that flight is still more than 24 hours away from departure. However, selecting the seat won’t charge you. You’ll know because after completing seat selection, there won’t be a purchase page asking for your card.
I thought that was supposed to happen also, but it did take me to the purchase page asking for my card and wouldn't let me confirm the seat without paying.
I am flying again in a couple of weeks with my wife, will give it another try.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
So, looking at recent experiences on this thread, seems benefits survive a split PNR for the return now, and seem to be consistent. Is this accurate?
Well, they survive in that after you have to call on the phone and ask at the gate, they will follow the documented rules. The website doesn't show that they "survive".

am I correct that each of the 3 ticketed travelers on the return should automatically:
Automatically? No, none of the above, in my extremely recent experience. Nor the other two listed just above.
Old Aug 17, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Another data point that the splitting at T-24/checkin now preserves companion benefits.

2 pax itin, 1K/GM, on roundtrip with stop each way. CPU for both on first leg at T-96. Split at checkin on app, with notification (split or no upgrade). On return, companion had 1K benefits, including 3 bags and group 1. Showed on waitlist below me (although despite consecutive sequence numbers was several names below on one of return legs - presumably a bunch of others in same fare class).
Old Aug 17, 2019, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Showed on waitlist below me (although despite consecutive sequence numbers was several names below on one of return legs - presumably a bunch of others in same fare class).
ive seen this quite a bit over the years when my wife and I were different status levels, and now both of us with same status but no status children. Despite the wording online which seems to suggest everyone on the same record should be right next to each other on the list (wording ‘same priority’), they aren’t always. My suspicion has always been the lower/no status person goes to the bottom of the list of the higher level. Ie, wife and I gold, kid no status all on the same PNR in T class, wife and I will be next to each other on the list, other golds in L and K (for example) will go be next, then our no status kid goes below the lowest fare class gold, then the silvers.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

ive seen this quite a bit over the years when my wife and I were different status levels, and now both of us with same status but no status children. Despite the wording online which seems to suggest everyone on the same record should be right next to each other on the list (wording ‘same priority’), they aren’t always. My suspicion has always been the lower/no status person goes to the bottom of the list of the higher level. Ie, wife and I gold, kid no status all on the same PNR in T class, wife and I will be next to each other on the list, other golds in L and K (for example) will go be next, then our no status kid goes below the lowest fare class gold, then the silvers.
Believe this is correct for CPU companions (not instruments).
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC

Do you book all 4 on PNR or do you do 2 and 2? We are in the same boat and I have booked our next 2 trips both ways. However I am now wondering if I should double split the next trip (4 on same reservation) or will that happen automatically? Thx.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Data Point: My wife was flying with her nephews and had the PNR split on the outbound flight. The new PNR with her nephews on it showed up in the mobile app, so we could check them in for the return. No report on status as there were two people on the new PNR and my wife is Gold, so they weren't on the UG list anyway (and they weren't checking bags).

I'm still trying to figure out why my son doesn't show up on the list of people who can get on the upgrade list when I'm flying with him. I was going to test using a browser (instead of the mobile app) to check in for our last flight, but we got upgraded before T-24.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.