Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread isTo split or not to split PNR
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2019, 6:57 pm

Hello there! First time poster to the forum - lots of good information here!

Here's my situation:

Traveling with family - 2 adults and 2 kids. I'm the only one with status (1K) and I've requested Mileage Upgrade for all 4 of us. We are currently booked into Premium Economy ("O" class fare). I also hold a United Club card.

Would you recommend splitting? We would need to be a minimum of 2 and 2 (since both kids are minors). Would my wife and kid inherit my status after splitting? What happens on the return?

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by unknownrendezvous
Hello there! First time poster to the forum - lots of good information here!

Here's my situation:

Traveling with family - 2 adults and 2 kids. I'm the only one with status (1K) and I've requested Mileage Upgrade for all 4 of us. We are currently booked into Premium Economy ("O" class fare). I also hold a United Club card.

Would you recommend splitting? We would need to be a minimum of 2 and 2 (since both kids are minors). Would my wife and kid inherit my status after splitting? What happens on the return?

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to flyertalk!

I'll cautiously recommend that, if you're fine with 1 child and 1 adult in each cabin, that you split to have you + kid1 on one PNR and wife + kid2 on another PNR. In that case, since you requested the upgrade for everyone, likely everyone gets your 1K priority. If your status doesn't get inherited, the 'O' fare class means highest priority among non-status passengers in Prem. Econ. as a backup.

If you want everyone together, don't split but watch for PZ4 like mad, especially within 1mo. of departure.

In this case, the Club card doesn't help anything (except meaning you can guest both kids and leave your wife in the cold if nothing clears).
Old Jul 15, 2019, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Welcome to flyertalk!

I'll cautiously recommend that, if you're fine with 1 child and 1 adult in each cabin, that you split to have you + kid1 on one PNR and wife + kid2 on another PNR. In that case, since you requested the upgrade for everyone, likely everyone gets your 1K priority. If your status doesn't get inherited, the 'O' fare class means highest priority among non-status passengers in Prem. Econ. as a backup.

If you want everyone together, don't split but watch for PZ4 like mad, especially within 1mo. of departure.

In this case, the Club card doesn't help anything (except meaning you can guest both kids and leave your wife in the cold if nothing clears).
Thank you!

Why watch PZ4? Do I need to do something to get the upgrades applied?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I’m quite new to the PNR splitting game since most of my travel is with my fiancé who has the same status.

i have a work trip coming up tomorrow with a non-status work colleague. What is the best way to ensure the reservation doesn’t get split, so she can inherit my status benefits throughout the whole trip?

Do we need to both check in for every single flight together? Or can we check in separately when the app presents that option?
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jeff Love
Hoping that you all might be able to help me. I'm a Gold flying this Friday. I don't need them upgraded except for possibly 1 person as my companion, but I do want to retain the free bag allowance for all 7 of us. If I split the PNR I know that I'll be able to get my upgrade, but I worry about losing the free bag allowance for everyone else. Any suggestions on how I can get my upgrade to clear and still keep the free bag allowance for everyone?
Check in after everyone else except you and your companion.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by david_oz
I’m quite new to the PNR splitting game since most of my travel is with my fiancé who has the same status.

i have a work trip coming up tomorrow with a non-status work colleague. What is the best way to ensure the reservation doesn’t get split, so she can inherit my status benefits throughout the whole trip?

Do we need to both check in for every single flight together? Or can we check in separately when the app presents that option?
You can check in separately. When you check in it will ask about splitting. You can refuse.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you!

Why watch PZ4? Do I need to do something to get the upgrades applied?
Sorry, that was an incompletely-explained reference to this phenomenon:
Upgrade still waitlisted even though PZ (previously R) class is available

It should be handled automatically, but it may not be. So regardless of whether you split, you should check occasionally-to-frequently for PZ>0 if you waitlist an upgrade. Opening of two spaces is more likely to occur than four, so if you can chance clearing in twos you may all still ultimately clear), then splitting isn't a bad idea.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Sorry, that was an incompletely-explained reference to this phenomenon:

It should be handled automatically, but it may not be. So regardless of whether you split, you should check occasionally-to-frequently for PZ>0 if you waitlist an upgrade. Opening of two spaces is more likely to occur than four, so if you can chance clearing in twos you may all still ultimately clear), then splitting isn't a bad idea.
Got it. I actually observed a few interesting things:

1. PZ changed status in this order: PZ1, PZ2, PZ4(under T96).
2. When I noticed PZ4, I went to check my ticket status and it showed Upgrade Confirmed.
3. I went back to check PZ status and it still showed PZ4 even though I took up my seats in Business.
4. Right now, PZ is at PZ0.

I believe my best option to avoid splitting when using an instrument upgrade, is to not check in (and give up on the possible CPU) since the instrument upgrades keep processing till the flight transfers to the gate. I’ll be at the airport by then, and I can request it in person at the check in counter.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe my best option to avoid splitting when using an instrument upgrade, is to not check in (and give up on the possible CPU) since the instrument upgrades keep processing till the flight transfers to the gate. I’ll be at the airport by then, and I can request it in person at the check in counter.
If you have an instrument applied, you're not eligible for CPU -- the instrument trumps it. I think what you mean is "give up on the possible gate upgrade." That said, AFAIK, if you haven't cleared by the time you get to the airport, you'd be out of luck in terms of avoiding the split. As soon as you check-in, the records will be split. It's not possible for a checked-in passenger to be waitlisted for an instrument upgrade without having split the reservation -- the systems don't permit it.

But, are you saying that your reservation wasn't split automatically at T-24, without checkin in, when you had an instrument applied? That would be new. Previously, waitlisted records were split at T-24 without check-in occurring. You'd sometimes get an email to tell you about it ("Sorry we were unable to confirm your upgrade.")
Old Jul 16, 2019, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
If you have an instrument applied, you're not eligible for CPU -- the instrument trumps it. I think what you mean is "give up on the possible gate upgrade." That said, AFAIK, if you haven't cleared by the time you get to the airport, you'd be out of luck in terms of avoiding the split. As soon as you check-in, the records will be split. It's not possible for a checked-in passenger to be waitlisted for an instrument upgrade without having split the reservation -- the systems don't permit it.
I was hoping to avoid the split by not checking in till I got to the airport and spoke to an agent at the check in desk.

But, are you saying that your reservation wasn't split automatically at T-24, without checkin in, when you had an instrument applied? That would be new. Previously, waitlisted records were split at T-24 without check-in occurring. You'd sometimes get an email to tell you about it ("Sorry we were unable to confirm your upgrade.")
Didn’t realize that the records are split automatically when an instrument is applied, even though I might not have checked in!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was hoping to avoid the split by not checking in till I got to the airport and spoke to an agent at the check in desk.
Didn’t realize that the records are split automatically when an instrument is applied, even though I might not have checked in!
UA's day-of-departure system will not allow multiple-passenger records to be on a waitlist of any kind (including the standby list). It doesn't have the ability to process multiple passengers at once.

For instrument upgrades, there has been a process that would automatically move uncleared instrument upgrades to the day-of-departure system at T-24, which necessitated splitting the records. The passenger never interacted with this system, and the only way to avoid it was to call to remove the upgrades before T-24. If that is no longer occurring, that would be news.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:18 pm

UA's day-of-departure system will not allow multiple-passenger records to be on a waitlist of any kind (including the standby list). It doesn't have the ability to process multiple passengers at once.

For instrument upgrades, there has been a process that would automatically move uncleared instrument upgrades to the day-of-departure system at T-24, which necessitated splitting the records. The passenger never interacted with this system, and the only way to avoid it was to call to remove the upgrades before T-24. If that is no longer occurring, that would be news.
Got it. I'll watch for it - for now I got lucky and my upgrades cleared just under T-96.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think the auto-split at T-24 even with a certificate has stopped, actually. Instead it silently happens on check-in.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I believe it was always split at check-in, not T-24. The sweep running at T-(24+ε) just tagged the PNR with the appropriate WLPx SSR code which notified the check-in code to split the PNR and process the addition to the upgrade standby list at the corresponding priority. The check-in interface has an option to decline this for CPU priority but nobody every added it for SSR-driven upgrades. Technically you could still check in without the split, but you would need to find an agent who knows what an SSR code is (and you the pax probably need to be able to tell them that it's an SSR issue) and how to remove it from the PNR manually before processing the check-in. If you managed to do this, you would not be added to the upgrade standby list (though theoretically could still clear off of the PZ waitlist process prior to gate control).
Old Jul 17, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Sorry if this is repeating what folks already know, but new to me. Checked in online (computer, not mobile) for 3-pax itin, one elite (myself). Alerted me to the ability to designate only one companion for upgrades, which it then allowed me to choose from a drop down. I selected one of my companions. The reservation was then split into three PNRs, but my selected companion appeared on the upgrade list with me (just below), and for the return trip also has "CPU requested" (or whatever the language is) showing. It's not clear whether I can move that companion to a different E+ seat online. We'll see if on the return companion appears on upgrade list with me, and where.

The only hiccup was that while the separated non-companion's PNR showed in my account, the retained companion didn't, so I had to log into companion (child's) MP account to get the info to complete checkin. Not sure why I could see one but not the other.

So, so far this seems like exactly the type of behavior that should happen, so long as my designated companion actually retains my status for upgrades. The E+/baggage issue is a possible hassle, but I guess is the cost of having a chance at an upgrade (which in this case is pretty low, with 10/12 booked).

Last edited by drewguy; Jul 17, 2019 at 8:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.