Old Feb 3, 2024, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread isTo split or not to split PNR
Print Wikipost

To split or not to split PNR {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
On the IAD->LAX 757 (UA 719) in early October. We are waitlisted with RPUs at this point. Flight is listing as F7 right now. I'm a Plat and DW is GM.

Wondering if and if so then when I should split the PNR to maximize our chances of upgrade? I'm not worried about the split mucking up the return flight as our upgrades have already cleared for that flight. I can check all our bags on the outbound under my PNR and not worry about any fees for her. The only thing I'm worried about is her possibly getting bounced out of her E+ seat, but if I don't touch her seat assignment post split is that really something can happen?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
It basically won't matter unless you see R1 and want to split in order to snag it. If you don't mind being separated, splitting now is probably preferable as the odds of one clearing when two might get skipped are very small, but strictly higher than the odds of her losing her E+ seat due to a shuffle after you get upgraded.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by drowelf
On the IAD->LAX 757 (UA 719) in early October. We are waitlisted with RPUs at this point. Flight is listing as F7 right now. I'm a Plat and DW is GM.

Wondering if and if so then when I should split the PNR to maximize our chances of upgrade? I'm not worried about the split mucking up the return flight as our upgrades have already cleared for that flight. I can check all our bags on the outbound under my PNR and not worry about any fees for her. The only thing I'm worried about is her possibly getting bounced out of her E+ seat, but if I don't touch her seat assignment post split is that really something can happen?
To maximise your chances for the second upgrade, you should not split. Upgrade waitlist no longer clear FIFO, it clears by status, then fare, etc.

Is it common for PNR splits to mess up E+ seat assignments? It's never happened to me. On a future flight schedule change, my family's E+ assignments were preserved across 3 split PNRs with a plane swap from 737 to ERJ. I'm on a separate PNR. Maybe being GS helped, I'm not sure.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Splitting PNR/Upgrade question

Quick Question. I am going to waitlist for a long haul flight using GPUs(IAH->SYD). It is 4 of us traveling, one of us is UA Plat. I figure we should split the PNR since 4 people clearing will be very difficult. A few questions though.

1. If we do that, only my PNR will be prioritzed as platinum correct?
2. GPUs are now processed using status of the person using them, not the person who owns the GPU(im my case the person giving me the GPU is Global Services).
3. Any other considerations when splitting? Are there any reasons i should not split? Should i wait until a few days prior to split?

Thanks.

Last edited by njxbean; Sep 23, 2018 at 9:34 am
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
GS GPUs waitlist for PN regardless of the status of the traveler, and so implicitly retain priority over all non-GS instruments. It's possibly worth considering your odds of clearing at all and who your party of 4 is; split PNRs can be a pain depending on the circumstances.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by findark
GS GPUs waitlist for PN regardless of the status of the traveler, and so implicitly retain priority over all non-GS instruments. It's possibly worth considering your odds of clearing at all and who your party of 4 is; split PNRs can be a pain depending on the circumstances.
How So?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by njxbean
How So?
Some examples:

- if your party is a family with children, having minor children on their own PNR may cause system issues around unaccompanied minors, and clearing upgrades independently may actually not be desired
- if you are relying on elite benefits like the expanded baggage allowance, it is more challenging to keep the extra allowance applied to companion with a split PNR
- this is often completely impossible if relying on *G benefits for partner segments; e.g. NZ will assign good seats to *G pax but not to off-PNR companions
- you are much more likely to get separated in IRROPS if you are on separate PNRs as the system will not keep you together during an auto-rebook

On the other hand, if everyone in your party is a nimble, able adult with some knowledge of frequent flying, most of these things are minor inconveniences at worst and the increased upgrade odds are probably worth it. YMMV.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by findark
Some examples:

- if your party is a family with children, having minor children on their own PNR may cause system issues around unaccompanied minors, and clearing upgrades independently may actually not be desired
- if you are relying on elite benefits like the expanded baggage allowance, it is more challenging to keep the extra allowance applied to companion with a split PNR
- this is often completely impossible if relying on *G benefits for partner segments; e.g. NZ will assign good seats to *G pax but not to off-PNR companions
- you are much more likely to get separated in IRROPS if you are on separate PNRs as the system will not keep you together during an auto-rebook

On the other hand, if everyone in your party is a nimble, able adult with some knowledge of frequent flying, most of these things are minor inconveniences at worst and the increased upgrade odds are probably worth it. YMMV.
Good points. we would be a family of four. Was going to put myself and my wife on separate PNRs. But not sure if the risk of IRROPS makes it worth it. On the flip side IAH->SYD is looong for a 1 year old!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:18 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by flyerbjorn
To maximise your chances for the second upgrade, you should not split. Upgrade waitlist no longer clear FIFO, it clears by status, then fare, etc.

Is it common for PNR splits to mess up E+ seat assignments? It's never happened to me. On a future flight schedule change, my family's E+ assignments were preserved across 3 split PNRs with a plane swap from 737 to ERJ. I'm on a separate PNR. Maybe being GS helped, I'm not sure.
I thought it clears by Upgrade Type (Instrument vs Paid), Satus, then fare. Now what I've always been unclear about is an Instrument (RPU) == Paid?
Old Sep 24, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I thought it clears by Upgrade Type (Instrument vs Paid), Satus, then fare. Now what I've always been unclear about is an Instrument (RPU) == Paid?
I'm not sure what "Paid" would be in this context. There is no distinction between the various upgrade types.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
I'm not sure what "Paid" would be in this context. There is no distinction between the various upgrade types.
RPU/GPU is the instrument method
Miles/Cash Upgrade would be the paid method

I'll have to go view one of the wikis again to refresh my memory on the priorities.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RPU/GPU is the instrument method
Miles/Cash Upgrade would be the paid method

I'll have to go view one of the wikis again to refresh my memory on the priorities.
Miles (+ Copay) is another type of instrument, for these discussions. It makes no difference what type of instrument is used -- RPU, GPU, and miles + copay are all equivalent in priority.
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by njxbean
On the flip side IAH->SYD is looong for a 1 year old!
IAH->SYD is looooooooong for an older adult with back pain and leg cramps.

IAH->SYD is looooong for the parents of the 1 year old.

IAH->SYD is looong for the neighbors of the family that includes a 1 year old. Or is that reversed? Looong for the parents vs looooong for the neighbors.....

IAH->SYD is no problem for the 1 year old.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:51 am

Am I blind or did they totally remove the option to separate reservations online?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 12:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by joder
Am I blind or did they totally remove the option to separate reservations online?
Still there but slightly different.

Go to the reservation while you want to split a passenger off of.
Select change flights
Look for "Would you like to change the flight(s) for all people in this reservation? "
Select " No, change flights only for those people selected below: "
And "continue", exit before confirming a flight change and the PNR will be split.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.