Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[NOW EXPIRED]: SQ releasing almost all F award (O)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Thanks for the advice. Flight is in 3.5 weeks. Arrive home on Friday, don't have to be at work until Monday. I'm still doing daily checks for F to open up on various routes that would trump this decision closer to departure. Think I'll make the switch today though.
Your best chance at LH F opening would be 3-10 days prior to departure.

Originally Posted by skymatty
After getting my ticket confirmed with eTicket number etc, UA agent got me the SQ Booking Reference Number which I used to change my seats, book meals etc on the Singapore Airlines website.

Tonight, I tried to log in again, and everything is gone. No flight is showing up. I tried it on Lufthansa's website which had previously displayed my flight again with no luck. Checkmytrip also doesnt show the flight. The Mobile site also doesnt display any details.

Any one else getting this?
no, mobile.sq.com still has all my tickets and seats in tact

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
My TPAC SQ F segments that I booked online yesterday with Aeroplan have been cancelled. Regional SQ J segments have been left intact. I have ticket numbers and confirmation emails from various carriers in the itinerary all showing the SQ segments booked and confirmed.

I called SQ yesterday to obtain my PNR...they confirmed my booking was in order and took additional contact information from me. I also have screen shots from the SQ mobile site of my booking and seat assignments.

I would assume that filing a complaint with the US DOT would be a good place to start in getting SQ to reinstate my booking?
you must have been seeing phantom inventory, the booking error closed on Sunday.

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Perhaps wishful thinking on my part, but I hope you're right about the PR effect. If the headline is simply that SQ cancels tickets, that looks very bad.
Us bloggers would see to that....

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jul 12, 2012 at 9:27 pm Reason: merge
Old Jul 12, 2012, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
no, mobile.sq.com still has all my tickets and seats in tact
So far everything looks good . Hope it stays the same way.

Last edited by flyer31; Jul 13, 2012 at 1:41 am
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Your best chance at LH F opening would be 3-10 days prior to departure.
Yep, and it turns out I didn't make any change. Either I saw phantom availability, or I wasn't paying attention and the flight I saw FRA-JFK was actually the LH flight in J

Now I need to figure out if LH old F (like old 744 or old 333) would be better than ps F + SQ J.... My chances of finding LH new F are slim (IAH or SFO on 388 or fly to MUC from LAX/SFO instead)
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Yep, and it turns out I didn't make any change. Either I saw phantom availability, or I wasn't paying attention and the flight I saw FRA-JFK was actually the LH flight in J

Now I need to figure out if LH old F (like old 744 or old 333) would be better than ps F + SQ J.... My chances of finding LH new F are slim (IAH or SFO on 388 or fly to MUC from LAX/SFO instead)
Finding new F for a flight 3.5 weeks out will certainly be tough. they've been mixing it up really well lately.......
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum Million Miler, Lifetime Marriott Titanium
Any info on when SQ inventory will show up again? I am in HKT now on vacay and would really like to extend my return trip back to DFW next week (currently booked to DFW via BKK and SIN).
Old Jul 12, 2012, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by 1K-DFW
Any info on when SQ inventory will show up again? I am in HKT now on vacay and would really like to extend my return trip back to DFW next week (currently booked to DFW via BKK and SIN).
most likely never. This was an accidental release from everything we can tell. While there may continue to be very scattered reports of single seats in business I don't think the tidal wave you saw last weekend will happen again simply because it was not supposed to happen.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Aeroplan still show phantom business class seats but UA/ANA sees nothing. When I tried to book ZRH-SIN on UA, agent said is was single cabin flight. On hold and double check with SQ agent confirm SQ only released X inventory now.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:51 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by colpuck
Seriously??

There is a DIFFERENCE between downgrading for operational reasons and a downgrade because the airline doesn't feel like owning up to their mistake.

Anyways the remedy is the same, downgrade compensation equal to the difference in fare or rebooking on a flight with F on it.
I have NO IDEA what SQ will do and even if the DOT would even bother getting involved with FF tkts but neither do you. For ANYONE to make a blanket statement saying what SQ will or will not do or what the DOT will ir will not do is ridiculous.

Personally, I hope most of the people that booked have their tickets honored. But the few fools that have posted about how they have taken SQ to the cleaners, etc may just ruin it for everyone. While FT is not indicative of what most people think or how they travel, people do glance at these boards. I could just picture some Jr executive at SQ printing these pages and handing them to his boss
Old Jul 12, 2012, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by pdx1M
Just an observation - while we discuss stuff like this here on FT at length there actually are folks who simply purchased these tickets. Granted most of the tickets undoubtedly went to FT types but I will use my example as a case in point. I actually was in the process of planning a trip to SIN for a wedding and happened upon availability when I was looking to book flights. Now it also happens that I am on FT so I then found out what was afoot but I would have booked the flights nonetheless were I not aware of FT. For such folks SQ can hardly just drop their flights. From their perspective (and it is mine in the sense that I didn't get in on this for the sake of flying SQ and taking advantage of something) they simply booked tickets, got successful confirmations, and have moved on with their lives and trip planning. How do you suppose that SQ is to deal with such folks, who saw nothing amiss in their booking and who saw that they paid exactly what they were supposed to have paid for now confirmed tickets? I find it unlikely that SQ will be simply canceling out such folks. It wouldn't match any notion of consumer contract let alone any informal notions of what consumers think happen when they purchase something.
This is an interesting point. (I assume that by "purchase" you mean obtain with miles.) For SQ to not honor tickets at this point would seem to involve some affirmative action on its part, rather than simply letting people show up at the airport for ticketed, overseas flights to find out that in fact their tickets are invalid.

Originally Posted by peteropny
I know a FTer who booked IAH-DME-SIN-BKK-HKT(on TG)-HKG(on TG?)-SFO. So it can be done - you might have to pay a change fee however. USM you would not be able to add to itinerary since it's not served by a *A carrier (I believe the only carrier is Bangkok Airways).
But TG serves USM...
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:59 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by mediator
Aeroplan still show phantom business class seats but UA/ANA sees nothing.
ANA will not show SQ C/F on A380/77W/A345 even if it is there on Starnet. Their search engine hides it on the front end and specifically mentions that these classes on these aircraft are not allowed and hence the results page shows as if the class doesn't exist rather than sold out like other airlines flights do.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:50 am

Programs: United Plat
An Upate Since My Last Post

Originally Posted by sfo3388
Tuesday morning I made 2 one-way SQ C class reservations on SQ1 and SQ2 (SFO-HKG-SIN). SQ2 reservation was instantly ticketed. SQ1 reservation on United.com has the following message above flight details:

There is a delay in the issuance of your ticket(s). We have requested confirmation of your flights from Singapore Airlines.This process may take up to 24 hours. Your miles will not be deducted from your account until your flights are confirmed and your ticket is issued. We will notify you via email upon confirmation.

This reservation is not ticketed. Pending confirmation from Singapore Airlines
Thank you for choosing United Airlines. Your purchase is confirmed. You will be promptly notified once the internal processing of your reservation has been finalized so that you can request additional receipts, export to Microsoft Outlook, refund or change your flight, view/change seats, check-in, or email or print your itinerary.

Under the flight details, another message:
This flight segment cannot be confirmed. Please contact United Reservations for assistance.

Last night I called United, the agent in India said that only Y class was available that SQ1 flight.

The 24 hours window is up so I have questions:

1. Should I give UA and SQ more time to clean the mess and hopefully they can honor the C class reservation?

2. Is UA supposed send me an email to tell me the reservation with SQ can not be confirmed eventually? Instead of having me keep checking United.com?

3. If I take Y class, how likely the SQ C class award seats will open up later? (I am leaving in later September during mid-week.) Does SQ normally release award C or F seats when approaching the departure date?

Thanks!

11JUL2012 2200 PDT: Called United and asked the status. The agent from India call center spent a few minutes doing something then said the reservation would be ticketed in 24 hours. If not, call back in 24 hours. After I hang up, the "pending confirmation" message above and below Flight Details on United.com disappeared.

12JUL2012 1100 PDT: Could not wait for 24 hours. Called United and asked the agent to push my reservation to front of ticketing queue. The Indian told me the ticket would be issued 48 hours before departure. I did not believe what she said.

12JUL2012 1200 PDT: Called United again and asked the agent to ticket my reservation. After a few minutes, the Indian agent told me the ticket was issued. After I hang up, the status of my reservation on United.com was changed to "ticketed". However, the link to Receipt went nowhere.

12JUL2012 1600 PDT: Got receipt.

12JUL2012 1700 PDT: Called United to ask for the record locator of my SQ reservation. The American agent said they did not have it. She asked me to call SQ.

12JUL2012 2200 PDT: Called SQ. Confirmed everything and got seat assignments.

I don't know how the agent I spoke to on Wednesday night was able to change my reservation status from "pending confirmation from Singapore Airlines" to confirmed and ready to be ticketed. Looks like she did some magic touch. Could she call SQ from India and have SQ confirm my reservation? Could UA block the SQ award seats from United.com and only call center have the access? If SQ blocks all C seats from their side, how could UA find me a biz class seat in 5 minutes?

Anyway, it is not important. I am happy now.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 12:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DrDesmo
FYI, the DOT doesn't regulate FF programs or take complaints:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...s/frequent.htm

Cheers,
Adam
This is true, but I would think that this would be a little different since this isn't just about a FF program. This about tickets for transportation which have been purchased, albeit with FF miles
Old Jul 13, 2012, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by peteropny
I know a FTer who booked IAH-DME-SIN-BKK-HKT(on TG)-HKG(on TG?)-SFO. So it can be done - you might have to pay a change fee however. USM you would not be able to add to itinerary since it's not served by a *A carrier (I believe the only carrier is Bangkok Airways).

I suggest you consider how much of a beach person you are - Bali, HKT, USM.
Along with the 800* flights a day on PG there is also the option of 2 TG flights.

*Maybe there aren't really 800 and just 12 from BKK and another 4 from HKT.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by colpuck
Seriously??

There is a DIFFERENCE between downgrading for operational reasons and a downgrade because the airline doesn't feel like owning up to their mistake.

Anyways the remedy is the same, downgrade compensation equal to the difference in fare or rebooking on a flight with F on it.
To me a downgrade usually occurs @ or near the gate, and compensation is normally refunded properly, on a case by case basis. Tickets issued, in advance, using miles that was obviously happened as a result of a change over of computer systems (imo) probably can and possibly may be revised somehow, in this case by SQ. The question is of course is when and how.

Posturing about how FTer's were smarter than the average bear and jumped on this mistake & screwed this airline then are dumb enough to follow up with threats of legal actions or DOT notifications if SQ somehow decides to change their ticket to a different class of service for a reduced amount of miles is chutzpa like I've never seen it before.

As some other have made notice of ---- Rubbing salt in the wound by being arrogant may just ruin it for others, which usually is the case.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 2:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Gold, plat, diamond and more
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
When I said "50" I was obviously exaggerating as there are not 50 world class airlines in the world with a first class. My point was Dom is not worth it's weight in Gold and not SOOO special on an airlineb (although certainly more special then it was 15 years ago when even UA served it

Anyway
Here are the airlines I have been on in the last year and a half that serve Dom (or better). FYI, Krug is a much better champagne, as is Laurent Perrier's Grande Siecle and even la Grande Dame

Jet Air (serves BOTH Krug and Dom)
Thai
Emirates
Etihad
Qatar
JAL (on some routes, had it from LHR, but not from LAX)
BA (serves a better champagne)
MAS
Cathay (has a better champaigne)
Air France (had la grande Dame last time I flew them)

And of course SQ

I'm sure I've missed a few. LVMH has a list of airline customers somewhere on their web site. They can list who buys Dom And who buys Moët
JL F NRT-LHR had Dom which terrible after the 2 bottles of Salon we had

Originally Posted by DrDesmo
FYI, the DOT doesn't regulate FF programs or take complaints:

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...s/frequent.htm

Cheers,
Adam
Originally Posted by harrison1186
This is true, but I would think that this would be a little different since this isn't just about a FF program. This about tickets for transportation which have been purchased, albeit with FF miles
Excactly- This is about a ticketed, and paid contract (with miles + cash/taxes and fees). Even if your route doesnt touch US soil I guess you are fine as long as ticketing carrier is US based (AC,US,UA).

Note also that EU regulations specifically include award flights in regards to compensation for cancellations, downgrades etc.

Originally Posted by LilAbner
To me a downgrade usually occurs @ or near the gate, and compensation is normally refunded properly, on a case by case basis. Tickets issued, in advance, using miles that was obviously happened as a result of a change over of computer systems (imo) probably can and possibly may be revised somehow, in this case by SQ. The question is of course is when and how.

Posturing about how FTer's were smarter than the average bear and jumped on this mistake & screwed this airline then are dumb enough to follow up with threats of legal actions or DOT notifications if SQ somehow decides to change their ticket to a different class of service for a reduced amount of miles is chutzpa like I've never seen it before.

As some other have made notice of ---- Rubbing salt in the wound by being arrogant may just ruin it for others, which usually is the case.
Dont agree. Fully paid - at the normal award rate for your FFP. SQ has offered the seats. No sympathy with SQ, and in case far less than for KE on the F mistakes ex RGN. There are tons of booking classes just within the Y segment, and if revenue management put all seats in the lowest bucket. That is the carriers problem- not the pax when tix are issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.