Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Flight showing YBMH 9 but will only let me purchase Y?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold

I am headed BOS > LHR next week and home BRU > BOS. I have to travel AA there because I will be with colleagues, but I am hoping to come home on UA for the miles (and better traveling experience, since I have no status on AA).

The BRU > EWR flight is showing YBMH 9 and even a few W and V fares when I look at "fare class", but only Y shows up available for purchase. Is there a reason it won't allow those other fares to be purchased? Is it because the ticket is 1-way? Not really sure whats going on, but I'd like to avoid American if I can, and the $3k 1-way Y fare won't pass muster with accounting.

Any insight is appreciated!
Old Jun 27, 2012, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
A ticket requires not just inventory, but also a valid fare. If no valid fare exists at lower buckets (considering advance purchase requirements, one way/round trip/circle trip/open jaw), then you may only be able to purchase Y, the completely unrestricted full fare ticket.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by aindfan
A ticket requires not just inventory, but also a valid fare. If no valid fare exists at lower buckets (considering advance purchase requirements, one way/round trip/circle trip/open jaw), then you may only be able to purchase Y, the completely unrestricted full fare ticket.
Naively, I would think that buckets other than Y showing up in the flights "fare class" would be indicative that a fare exists???

OP might try a search for those fare classes and see what shows up. One explanation which doesn't seem likely is that Y is the cheapest ( or maybe priced the same as the other fares) and the search is for the lowest priced fare. (??)
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:28 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Or it could be that the lower fare classes are only available more than 7 days out as another possible fare restriction.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Michael D
Naively, I would think that buckets other than Y showing up in the flights "fare class" would be indicative that a fare exists???
Nope, it just means the inventory exists. There are several reasons why they might do this: 1) lower fares are not filed for that market, but perhaps they want to sell those lower fares on a different market, e.g. BRU-LAX by flying BRU-EWR-LAX, 2) fares for lower classes are filed but they do not satisfy purchase requirements such as advance purchase requirements or round-trip travel or any number of other things.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Antipode
round-trip travel
In this case, this is the answer. Y is the lowest one-way fare on BRU-(EWR)-BOS next week
Old Jun 27, 2012, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold
Thanks for the insight. For what it's worth, I am 7 days out from the return, but of course it's not round trip. The tool will let me purchase H fares one way from LHR, but not one way from BRU. The H fare is available when I price out a round trip (BOS > BRU) but not one way, so looks like that answers my question.

Still frustrating, though! Looks like it's the dAArk side.
Old Jun 27, 2012, 9:52 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by ExExpat
Thanks for the insight. For what it's worth, I am 7 days out from the return, but of course it's not round trip. The tool will let me purchase H fares one way from LHR, but not one way from BRU. The H fare is available when I price out a round trip (BOS > BRU) but not one way, so looks like that answers my question.

Still frustrating, though! Looks like it's the dAArk side.
This may or may not help (sorry, IANATA ), but:

(1) Playing with ITA suggests that lower fare classes (and moderately cheaper fares) are available if you book a round trip (open jaw, technically) -- even with the outbound on AA. Obviously you can't do this on united.com, but a TA should be able to do it. I'm seeing r/t fares between $2.5K and $3.2K (ai) with BOS-LHR on AA and BRU-BOS on UA. There's an H fare connecting through LHR, or a B fare on BRU-EWR-BOS.

(2) Round trip or open jaw tickets (BRU-BOS-xxx) with the return in low season are much cheaper than BRU-BOS one-way. I'm seeing $1612 for random dates (BOS-BRU next week, BRU-BOS in November, H fare), and as low as $1476 if you make it a double open jaw BRU-BOS / EWR-IST). There are so many reasons to miss your return flight... Dunno if your accounting dept. would go for that, but it might be worth a shot (although if they demand lowest fare, you're gonna have trouble beating the AA r/t fares).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.