Wiki Posts
Search

TOD offered on intl flight?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
TOD offered on intl flight?

Anyone been offered a tod on a intl flight? If so how much and what was your route?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:44 pm

There is already a consolidated thread for posting of TOD offers so I'm not sure if the moderators will eliminate this and shift it into that thread. In any case, I am curious to know about TODs on international flights as well, since this frankly is the only UG situation that I really care about. The loss of UG opportunities in the US is small in comparison with being forced to endure E hell for > 10 hours.

If anyone posts responses, I request/suggest more information:

date of travel
origin - destination
fare class / fare
amount of tod offer
how and when offer was given (i.e. web, mobile, email, check-in) and T-x
status of flyer
same information about other parties also flying
flight #
Old Jun 17, 2012, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond
Thx for adding to my post. Interested to hear if these exist
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:21 pm

Programs: VAG
How many tens of dollars counts as tens of dollars? Fewer than ten tens?
Old Jun 17, 2012, 5:27 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
I fly TPAC a couple of times a year, and have NEVER been offered anything that did not involve at least five Benjamins.

EmailKid
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:02 pm

Forget exact amount but AMS-ORD upgrade Y-C offered at $550-600.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Jalen500
Anyone been offered a tod on a intl flight? If so how much and what was your route?
They are listed in the master thread (some of the 1st few are to/from places like CDG, LHR and ICN):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iscussion.html
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
There are some other threads on UFCs. Since 3/3 there have been no reports of a bonafide cash upgrade on an international flight for anything other than the fare difference.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat
SFO > SYD was ~$2100 to upgrade to C. I don't think UA wants to dilute the cabin with ToDs on those flights. Cheapest I have ever gotten was at the gate asking for miles + cash, which was the classic 30k + $600, or $1200 without miles.

Hey, I just realized that either way that's valuing the miles at $.02 each ^

Cheers,
Adam
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
I think for international the nomenclature has become "HODS" (hundreds of dollars) recognizing that even the bean hoarders at UA would not be so foolish as to sell an international C ticket upgrade for less than $100.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Typically pre 3/3 TPAC UFCs were offered $500 to $900. Now they are offered $1500 to $2000. I'm sure UA will look at the number, but my guess is that at $500 to $900 the number of upgraders is small but significant. At $1500 to $2000 it's approximately zero, i.e. the old international UFC policy made more money for UA than the current one where they only sell upgrades for the fare differential.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by EmailKid
I fly TPAC a couple of times a year, and have NEVER been offered anything that did not involve at least five Benjamins.

EmailKid
The basic issue with the TOD process is that super-cheap UG are sold to non-members while 1K's cannot clear with instruments. If the super-cheap offer is made to a 1K, then I think it's fair game, though it does cause GPU to be worth something extremely close to zero.

I'd consider $500-600 to be TOD for these purposes. If a kettle can pay $700 for a RT TPAC or TATL itinerary and then get a seat in C that would otherwise have cost $7,000, and meanwhile force the 1K into the back of the plane because his or her instrument didn't clear on waitlist, then, that should qualify as a TOD.

Originally Posted by 5khours
Typically pre 3/3 TPAC UFCs were offered $500 to $900. Now they are offered $1500 to $2000. I'm sure UA will look at the number, but my guess is that at $500 to $900 the number of upgraders is small but significant. At $1500 to $2000 it's approximately zero, i.e. the old international UFC policy made more money for UA than the current one where they only sell upgrades for the fare differential.
The key difference is that UA didn't make these offers if there were elites sitting on the wait list to UG whereas CO apparently makes these offers to everyone, no matter how many 1K's are on the waitlist for UG.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: VAG
Originally Posted by mitchmu
The basic issue with the TOD process is that super-cheap UG are sold to non-members while 1K's cannot clear with instruments. If the super-cheap offer is made to a 1K, then I think it's fair game, though it does cause GPU to be worth something extremely close to zero.

I'd consider $500-600 to be TOD for these purposes. If a kettle can pay $700 for a RT TPAC or TATL itinerary and then get a seat in C that would otherwise have cost $7,000, and meanwhile force the 1K into the back of the plane because his or her instrument didn't clear on waitlist, then, that should qualify as a TOD.
That's still a TOTOD, not a TOD.

Even the TOTODs seem to be mythical, though.
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Jorgen
That's still a TOTOD, not a TOD.

Even the TOTODs seem to be mythical, though.
If it's mythical then why has it become so much harder to upgrade as a 1K?
Old Jun 18, 2012, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mitchmu
If it's mythical then why has it become so much harder to upgrade as a 1K?
Because others are actually buying biz seats? Or a higher fare basis than you and upgrading ahead of you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.