Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Converting United MileagePlus into United Club

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum

I already had a United MileagePlus Explorer Card (got the 50K first use bonus but still haven't credited my bonus for adding an additional user which was done a few months ago).

Someone on FT (Thank you!) gave me a code to use for the First Year Annual Fee Waived on the United Club card and I went for it as I'm almost at Premier Silver due to*A flights this year and saw that United Club card holders do not need a minimum of 4 flights on UA metal to earn Premier Silver so I applied for it.

I then called Chase to inquire if they could convert my United MileagePlus Explorer Card into a United Club card and keep the First Year Annual Fee Waived promotion and they said they could not? Has anyone been able to convert ("product upgrade") the MileagePlus Explorer Card to the Club Card? If so, how did you do it?

Also, is there a minimum number of months the MileagePlus Explorer Card needs to be held in order to keep the 50K miles bonus?

Thank you FT!
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
I asked the same question and was told no. So I applied for the Club card separately and then cancelled the Explorer once the Club card came, though I've had the Explorer card for a few years.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 1:32 am

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by smilinganddialing
I already had a United MileagePlus Explorer Card (got the 50K first use bonus but still haven't credited my bonus for adding an additional user which was done a few months ago).

Someone on FT (Thank you!) gave me a code to use for the First Year Annual Fee Waived on the United Club card and I went for it as I'm almost at Premier Silver due to*A flights this year and saw that United Club card holders do not need a minimum of 4 flights on UA metal to earn Premier Silver so I applied for it.

I then called Chase to inquire if they could convert my United MileagePlus Explorer Card into a United Club card and keep the First Year Annual Fee Waived promotion and they said they could not? Has anyone been able to convert ("product upgrade") the MileagePlus Explorer Card to the Club Card? If so, how did you do it?

Also, is there a minimum number of months the MileagePlus Explorer Card needs to be held in order to keep the 50K miles bonus?

Thank you FT!
I read in the Terms that you had to keep the card for 6 months to be able to keep the 40K, 50K bonus miles... but other than that I thought you would be able to upgrade to the Club or downgrade to the Explorer as I also previously heard that in a different thread.

with UnitedF1rsts situation, he probably had the One Pass plus (which was converted) to the Explorer since he "had the Explorer card for a few years."

Im guessing even though its basically the same card, Chase might have seen it in the system that his card was changed.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 2:01 am
uwr

Programs: AS MVP Gold75K
I tried to do the same thing last year when I wanted to convert the OnePass Plus into the Pres Plus. I was told by Chase that the new federal law states that credit card companies can't increase fees in the first year (or something to that effect), and Chase interprets this to mean that they can't upgrade the card.

I simply applied for the Pres Plus for no annual fee (for the first year) and kept my OnePass Plus card also.

Your scenario is similar, but substituting the new UA cards for the old CO cards.

You should apply for the Club card with the offer of no annual fee for the first year. You can cancel the Explorer card after six months, keep your mileage bonus, and pay no fee.

In the past week, I have visited UCs in MSP, ORD, and SEA, and I picked up 8 codes to waive the Club card's annual fee for the first year. I have sent codes to four FT members, but I still have four codes. PM me if you would like one of the codes. Valid if you apply by June 30.

EDIT: I have sent all 8 of my codes. I will post again if I find any more during my trips to SFO this week and next.

Last edited by uwr; Jun 17, 2012 at 8:36 pm
Old Jun 17, 2012, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for all the great feedback. I already got a code from another member on FT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.