Community
Wiki Posts
Search

$724 LAX HNL is a "sale"?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by 4BandE
Overall hotel occupancy is up, but I'm seeing more foreign travelers there, which is what is keeping the Hawaii economy afloat as opposed to coming from our own US dollars.
Sure. With the ¥ what it is today, I'd be heading to Hawaii as well if I was Japanese
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:27 am

Programs: TK G,UA *S
Originally Posted by weezl
Got an email from UA for their "Islands on Sale" only to find that all islands are >$700 RT. I realize that fares to the islands are up since early 2011 but this is hardly a "sale". Pre-2011, HNL could be had in the low $400s, what happened? Fuel costs? With our economy, one would think that the opposite would be true. I think the airlines have figured out that they can fly fewer flights and command a higher fare due to supply/demand and rich folks who like the islands. But the island economy stinks, and this is one reason why: fewer pax.

One way to help out our friends on the islands is to fly more people over at lower rates. Might work, eh? Build more properties, stimulate the economy, make things better for the islanders. They deserve it.
For this price I was able to buy a GDL-IAH-SFO-OGG route back in May, almost 10k miles and saw availability also in September in some days of the week. Of course not today, because the weekend is coming and the fares are up as usual.
For me it is a sale at that price
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:34 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by channa
Not exactly.
Indeed.

Those who actually go beyond "shore tourism" know that Hawai`i has a lot of poverty and the decent, safe, and affordable housing is not where the jobs are in most cases.

Spend some time on Molokai`i or in Puna and encounter what life is like for lots and lots of locals -- and "rich" is not a word that would describe such.

Last edited by cblaisd; Jun 7, 2012 at 11:47 am Reason: spellin'
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by channa
Why is it an airline's job to stimulate an economy? btw, it's all competition. Hawaii is cheaper than ever from the Bay Area thanks to AS.
Bless the presence that AS has had on the Bay Area. I see sub $400 fares from SJC and OAK to HNL and OGG in Sept. It's currently the high season due to summer and school being out, its unreasonable to expect anything lower than $600.

I miss the sale Delta had last year. SFO-HNL for $230 AI RT.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 7, 2012 at 11:57 am Reason: fix html
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:44 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Yes, this "sale" gave me quite a chuckle this morning. The fares have been very high all summer long and have been slowly settling. Hawaiian has been having intermittent real fare sales for summer flights from various California airports, but it hasn't shaken the UA IM folks to do anything but this.

I've been using a mixed bucket of award redemptions and one way fares for my summer commute.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:45 pm

Programs: United
Originally Posted by 4BandE
Overall hotel occupancy is up, but I'm seeing more foreign travelers there, which is what is keeping the Hawaii economy afloat as opposed to coming from our own US dollars.
Has always been a lot of Japanese travelers to Hawaii, and the drop in numbers due to the earthquake/tsunami ended up being less than expected. At the same time, Hawaii is directly benefiting from rise in U.S. visitors as well due to worries about Mexico violence.

On the Hawaii economy, it's an expensive state to live, which is not the same as being a rich state. Most folks are poor or middle-class, while prices of homes, gasoline, groceries are among highest in the country, making it very difficult to live affordably.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA1K, 1MM,AA Exec. Platinum, Global Entry, Nexus
Bought tickets for $560.00

Originally Posted by exerda
Given some folks were reporting $2000+ economy fares to the islands not so long ago, $724 is indeed a "sale."
Going to Hawaii in mid-August got three FREE tickets for the kids. Exit row seating too. Almost dropped my jaw at those prices. Bought tickets about 7 days ago.

good luck
LAX HNL at 9:30 am
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by tomj888
Going to Hawaii in mid-August got three FREE tickets for the kids. Exit row seating too.
Hopefully the kids are 15 and over
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Exec Plat
I was surprised as well by $724 fare promotion, but hopefully will go down after summer pick season...
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I just saw a fare yesterday from JFK-HNL thru SFO/LAX of $850
You can send a thank you note to Hawaiian Airlines for that one (the link explains why).

I'm in Oahu right now and paid $220ish one-way from JFK to get out here. The return is an award ticket. I probably would have eventually found a good fare but I was dead-set on the time/date/flight I wanted so the award made more sense.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum (and falling fast)
Originally Posted by GroundStop
for a trip at the end of July from SFO-KOA.

Price back then was $980 r/t, has since come down to $780.
[snip]
The $780 fare currently books in S bucket, and with pax loads so low I'm banking on them opening up T or L at some point in the next few weeks.
T bucket opened up today......price now at $720

Still hoping for L / <$700
Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Imagine that $700+ and a luxurious 737 that pulls in 15 minutes before the Pan-Am Clipper for the suckers who will tolerate it
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA MM, Marriott Platinum
I was pleasantly surprised to pay $716 for ORD-HNL r.t. from late August to early September. I like any fare under $900.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.