Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Likelihood of clearing the wait list?" thread (International)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:32 am

Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by richfish13
UA 869 mileage upgrade waitlist for 11/26

Available Cabins: F6, FN6, A6, ON6, O0, J9, JN9, C9, D9, Z9, ZN9, P9, PN0, R0, RN0, IN0, I0, Y9, YN9, B9, M9, E9, U9, H9, HN9, Q9, V9, W9, S9, T9, L9, K9, G0, N0, XN9, X9

Any chance this will clear well prior to T-24?
Upgrade confirmed this morning. Says online to call United to have the itinerary reticketed so I can pick a seat. Will this just automatically happen?
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold
Upgrade confirmed this morning. Says online to call United to have the itinerary reticketed so I can pick a seat. Will this just automatically happen?
In my experience, you will need to call in.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
TRY reissue by going through "Add E-mail Address and Request Receipt" below "view receipt" line. I succeeded once, but not the second time on the same PNR. Good luck.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It typically clears within 24 hours. I don't call unless I'm anxious to pick a seat.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 5:19 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by edcho
We use tools like ExpertFlyer.com or turn on Expert Mode on ua.com. Unfortunately expert mode is broken at the moment.
Originally Posted by UAConvert
I was wondering about expert mode. How do you activate that??
I have mine checked, but it doesn't work unless I go back in, uncheck it, save it and recheck it and save it. Then expert mode works.....
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
anyone got a sense of how UA803 NRT-SIN has been lately? i'm considering this option for travel on either a Friday or Saturday evening in mid-October -- currently R=0 of course. not particularly interested in clearing to NRT only to not clear to SIN.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 9:08 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
anyone got a sense of how UA803 NRT-SIN has been lately? i'm considering this option for travel on either a Friday or Saturday evening in mid-October -- currently R=0 of course. not particularly interested in clearing to NRT only to not clear to SIN.
I find it much easier to clear ORD-NRT and vv than to clear NRT-SIN and vv even as a GS.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 3:18 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by PushingTin
I have mine checked, but it doesn't work unless I go back in, uncheck it, save it and recheck it and save it. Then expert mode works.....
It doesn't work because you are not fully logged in. Uncheck "Remember Me" at the log-in screen. You need to fully log in each session in order for expert mode to work.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:25 am

Programs: UA 1k

Currently booked LAX to LHR on a Y saver award (2 persons) on the 25th. Waitlisted for both LAX - LHR and SFO - LHR business saver award.

I'm assuming that I take priority over R space if seats become available, and logic would say that LAX is easier to clear than SFO.

Any experience of the probability of success?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Richym99
Currently booked LAX to LHR on a Y saver award (2 persons) on the 25th. Waitlisted for both LAX - LHR and SFO - LHR business saver award.

I'm assuming that I take priority over R space if seats become available, and logic would say that LAX is easier to clear than SFO.

Well, you are waitlisted for "I" space, not "R" space. So if "I" opens up you can get the seats.

Based on the seat map I would say there's a very good chance of LAX-LHR opening up. That BF cabin is barely booked...which should make you mad because at least "I" space should be open already. Sadly it's not. (Yes, I know the seat map is not a good indicator of how booked a cabin is but when combined with J9C9D9Z9 it looks pretty wide open).

It sucks that UA no longer releases inventory into all buckets at the 24 hour mark. It's killing upgrades.

-RM
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I cleared both segments IAD>NRT and NRT>SIN late last month. NRT>SIN cleared a day after the other segment. I haven't missed it this year.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Richym99

LAX is booked slightly lighter (25/40) in J than SFO (30 and 31/40).

UA will open PN and R before they open I. In fact, they may never open I.

LAX and SFO are more or less the same for upgrades on that route. SFO has two daily flights most of the year, so at least twice as much capacity. If I had to choose one flight to standby on that date, it would be LAX based on the slightly lighter load.

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That BF cabin is barely booked...which should make you mad because at least "I" space should be open already. Sadly it's not. (Yes, I know the seat map is not a good indicator of how booked a cabin is but when combined with J9C9D9Z9 it looks pretty wide open).
I would not call 25/40 "barely booked." This is a fairly high demand business route, so the idea that UA might sell 15 J seats in the next ten days is not irrational.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 9:16 pm

Traveling with my wife. We're both UA Silver. I did the booking for both of us.

Want to use miles + $$$ to upgrade from E to BF
Monday 11/17 UA869 SFO-HKG
Sunday 12/7 UA870 SYD-SFO

Anyone know what the chances of this happening? The UA869 flight still has most of the BF seats open (40 out of 44 are open), but R=0 for now. I see another user on this page had his 11/26 UA869 E to BF upgraded, and I see that flight is still R9 with only 24 out of 44 BF seats available. Don't understand United's logic on this....

And if an upgrade happens, is it possible that United might upgrade 1 person and not the other, or will it be all or none? As much as we're hoping for the upgrade, I don't think we want to be split up for a 13-15 hour flight.

Last edited by Alzarius; Sep 14, 2014 at 9:26 pm
Old Sep 15, 2014, 1:08 am

Originally Posted by Alzarius
The UA869 flight still has most of the BF seats open (40 out of 44 are open), but R=0 for now. I see another user on this page had his 11/26 UA869 E to BF upgraded, and I see that flight is still R9 with only 24 out of 44 BF seats available. Don't understand United's logic on this....
There is no aircraft in the UA fleet with 44 BF seats.

The logic is that SFO-HKG is a high demand paid J route. Up until relatively recently it was one of the handful of toughest upgrades in the entire system. That situation has eased somewhat, but it's still no lock.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
There is no aircraft in the UA fleet with 44 BF seats.

The logic is that SFO-HKG is a high demand paid J route. Up until relatively recently it was one of the handful of toughest upgrades in the entire system. That situation has eased somewhat, but it's still no lock.
You're right. Don't know how I miscounted. 56 BF seats. 52 available on my flight, whereas other flights with fewer BF available are showing R>0. In fact, all of the Monday flights in the next couple of months show R=0. On the other hand, some Tues, Wed, Thurs flights in the same timeframe have R>0 even with less than a dozen BF seats available.

Next time I'll try to fly mid-week if I can. Fingers still crossed for a possible upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.