Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Status of Miles Redemption for United Club Membership/Renewal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Status of Miles Redemption for United Club Membership/Renewal?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:07 am
Original Poster

Can't Use Miles for UC Renewal

I don't see a thread about this yet, so...

Did anyone else get the email about not being able to use MP miles for renewing a UC membership after March?

Any idea why they're doing that? I would never use miles for that anyway, but it seems like it would be to their advantage, given the high mileage they require. Getting people to use their miles for that rather than for, perhaps, 3 RT tickets seems like a good thing for United.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by CaStarGazer
I don't see a thread about this yet, so...

Did anyone else get the email about not being able to use MP miles for renewing a UC membership after March?

Any idea why they're doing that? I would never use miles for that anyway, but it seems like it would be to their advantage, given the high mileage they require. Getting people to use their miles for that rather than for, perhaps, 3 RT tickets seems like a good thing for United.
Don't see what your complaint is at all. If you read the email you received, you'd see the ability to use miles for UC renewals is being "temporarily suspended" in March. That's presumably due to the combination of the two FFPs to accommodate the start of the new MP+ on 3/3. If you read the email, you're being offered the opportunity to renew now ahead of the temporary suspension.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:15 am
Original Poster

I'm not complaining (if you read my post, you'll see I don't use miles for the membership). Just posting it for discussion.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:11 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

In the email, it says its a temporary suspension
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Odd, I just received an email this morning to use my miles to renew my membership (even though I renewed it in December since it would have expired in January.)
Old Feb 4, 2012, 9:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
Odd, I just received an email this morning to use my miles to renew my membership (even though I renewed it in December since it would have expired in January.)
Did you read the email carefully? Here is the text of mine which makes it clear that it's a temporary suspension. I don't think it's worth a discussion unless somebody has any hard facts (not what they heard from a GA or from a drunk in the UC) as to what "temporary" means. If, as other suggest, its due to the comination of the two FF Programs into the new M+, as far as I'm concerned it's like my bank's website being down for maintenance. You know in advance, you renew now and all is well.

Use your miles today

As a member of United Club℠, you understand that club access isn't simply a luxury, it can often be a necessity.

The ability to use award miles for a United Club membership will be temporarily suspended beginning in March 2012. While you can, use your miles today to renew your membership.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH diamond, Priority Club G, Mariott G, etc
An opportunity

Unfortunately, I go to Platinum in March so I took the opportunity to renew until the end of 2013 at the 1K rate.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Often1
Did you read the email carefully? Here is the text of mine which makes it clear that it's a temporary suspension. I don't think it's worth a discussion unless somebody has any hard facts (not what they heard from a GA or from a drunk in the UC) as to what "temporary" means. If, as other suggest, its due to the comination of the two FF Programs into the new M+, as far as I'm concerned it's like my bank's website being down for maintenance. You know in advance, you renew now and all is well.

Use your miles today

As a member of United Club℠, you understand that club access isn't simply a luxury, it can often be a necessity.

The ability to use award miles for a United Club membership will be temporarily suspended beginning in March 2012. While you can, use your miles today to renew your membership.
Ah, yes, you're right. Read it too fast. Didn't see that the email was touting a 'temporary' suspension from using miles for club membership.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Just astonishing anyone would use miles to renew and or buy the merchandise they are trying to sell.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:12 pm

Programs: UA Gold, United Club, HHonors Diamond, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5 Star
Originally Posted by Continental250K
Just astonishing anyone would use miles to renew and or buy the merchandise they are trying to sell.
Lets say you are a young guy making a pathetic 50k a year but your company has you flying so much you have no time for trips. In that case the 500 bucks might be far more valuable than a bunch of miles you got for free that are just piling up and that you will earn back in the next six weeks anyway.

That used to be me 10 years ago when I first joined. I pay using my UA credit card now that I am not that guy anymore!
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dsybok
Lets say you are a young guy making a pathetic 50k a year but your company has you flying so much you have no time for trips. In that case the 500 bucks might be far more valuable than a bunch of miles you got for free that are just piling up and that you will earn back in the next six weeks anyway.

That used to be me 10 years ago when I first joined. I pay using my UA credit card now that I am not that guy anymore!
+1

My company did not and does not pay for club membership. I can't justify the cost of the membership myself. When I was 1K I was getting so many miles every year using miles for club membership was the perfect solution. I considered it a great use of miles.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Baze
+1

My company did not and does not pay for club membership. I can't justify the cost of the membership myself. When I was 1K I was getting so many miles every year using miles for club membership was the perfect solution. I considered it a great use of miles.
A few years ago, I also was in the same situation. At one time I had a half a million miles in my account and no plans to use them, so the membership was a good deal.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Originally Posted by Dsybok

I am that guy @ 28. 500k miles in 3.5 years and I do pay the 375 from CO for membership. Small amount of money to use for a lifetime of free travel ahead.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:21 am

Location: Clinging to the edifices of a decadent past from the biggest city in America nobody really cares about.
Programs: (ಠ_ಠ)
Exclamation pss Site Seems to Suggest Redeeming Miles for Club Memberhsip Will *Not* Be Possible

This was discovered in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-continue.html where JM noted mileage redemption for a United Club membership is not listed in the schedule of fees per the pss site.

As such, if you've got mileage to burn and are thinking about a club membership, you might want to act sooner than later.

Originally Posted by JM
If the mock up predicts the future, the PMUA option of using miles to buy a club membership seems to be going the way of other useful mileage uses. Using miles was always a useful option for those of us with more miles than we can use burn. I had always hoped that PMCO would follow PMUA's lead on this, but apparently not.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, AA GLD
Originally Posted by J.Edward
This was discovered in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/conti...-continue.html where JM noted mileage redemption for a United Club membership is not listed in the schedule of fees per the pss site.

As such, if you've got mileage to burn and are thinking about a club membership, you might want to act sooner than later.
There was an email about this very subject a couple weeks ago:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...c-renewal.html
Sounds like a temporary thing, but unclear when they might get a new system in place to allow for mileage redemption for memberships.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.