Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which of those flights gives better chances for upgrade

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Hi,
Which one of those flights would have a better chance of upgrading a Platinum?

UA727 - Jun 15 - SFO-IAD 12pm. Seats: http://i.imgur.com/UGhWM.png
UA574 - Jun 15 - SFO-IAD 1pm Seats: http://i.imgur.com/9Fh7K.png
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
You need to look at the itinerary and fare class to see what R>1 or more or and apply a GPU.

Seat map is as worthless as can be.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
SFO-IAD is an extremely difficult route for 1Ks, I've failed to clear even on the 777.

It depends on what your status is and how you are wanting to upgrade? Are you wanting to upgrade with CPU, RPU/GPU, miles?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Continental250K
You need to look at the itinerary and fare class to see what R>1 or more or and apply a GPU.

Seat map is as worthless as can be.
They are both 'U' Fares. I put the seatmap as a *extremely* rough approximation of how many FC seats available vs Plus seats.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: United Premier 1K, GE/Nexus, Hertz Pres Circle, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Holiday Inn Plat
Neither of which have UG availability so I'd take the UA 727 with 9 first class seats open and hope that UG availablity is opened up T-48 and apply an UG then. But with all the 1K's on that route on a Friday afternoon I'd say you're pretty much confined to coach.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Are you a 1K? If you're buying a U fare, I'd go with whichever one has more available F seats (via inventory, not the seat map) at the current time.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by demkr
Are you a 1K? If you're buying a U fare, I'd go with whichever one has more available F seats (via inventory, not the seat map) at the current time.
Miss the part in the OP original statement of Platinum?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Continental250K
Neither of which have UG availability so I'd take the UA 727 with 9 first class seats open and hope that UG availablity is opened up T-48 and apply an UG then. But with all the 1K's on that route on a Friday afternoon I'd say you're pretty much confined to coach.
Thanks. I fly DL, which has no directs SFO-IAD/DCA, but had just gotten a status match to UA Platinum.

Since upgrade chances are slight I think I'll just stick with a DL connection.
Thanks guys.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:07 pm

Programs: CO-Plat/UA-1P, HHonors-Gold
As said, SFO-IAD is rough.

There was a site that someone had put together listing the upgrade percentages that was pretty thorough.

Hopefully someone has the link (sorry to be a tease).

Unfortunately, I'd be prepared to fly in the back of the bus.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by BuckleandBoots

Unfortunately, I'd be prepared to fly in the back of the bus.
Thats basically the way I look at it nowadays , either ante up the $$ for an FC tkt or set your mind you are flying in the back and chose a seat that meets ones expectations. Especially with Jeffs TODs. this of cause assumes R= 0 @ time of purchase for using a RPU. Looking for a CPU as they say in Brooklyn ForgetAboutIt

this said the only real time to know which flight has a better chance is maybe @ T-3 which of cause is way too late
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AVIS President's Club
I believe the site BuckleandBoots is referencing is http:\\www.udustats.com

Good luck and I hope the OP is able to get the upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.