Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Switching seats between Economy and Business with Traveling Companions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching seats between Economy and Business with Traveling Companions [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Marriage counseling? ....

How about changing to even (you) and odd (him) days and ignore past history. That's what I do for the grandchildren who have similar issues of what gets what when.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by zrs70
Perhaps I fly enough that I'm a little bit blasé on these things. I'm beginning to find that coach is really not all that much worse the first, and I'd rather just fly with my husband in coach.
This is the case for my family as well.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by morelegroom
Marriage counseling?

What you should have are two lists. list one is the swapping "guaranteed" first class. list two is the "lucked out upgrade". you alternate places on each list, and keep extra credits on list 2

He has two credits on list 2. He gets to use them the next time 2 tiems there is no guaranteed upgrade.
Thanks that's a good idea having two lists.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 6:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA

How about changing to even (you) and odd (him) days and ignore past history. That's what I do for the grandchildren who have similar issues of what gets what when.
Some months have more odd than even numbered days. The person having odd gets seven or eight, depending on leap year, days to get the upgrade.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 7:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.... How about changing to even (you) and odd (him) days and ignore past history. That's what I do for the grandchildren who have similar issues of what gets what when.
Some months have more odd than even numbered days. The person having odd gets seven or eight, depending on leap year, days to get the upgrade.
less than a 2% error (49%/51%) and something a 7 & 9 year have not yet worked out. Probably better than a coin flip.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA:21884698
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
.... How about changing to even (you) and odd (him) days and ignore past history. That's what I do for the grandchildren who have similar issues of what gets what when.
less than a 2% error (49%/51%) and something a 7 & 9 year have not yet worked out. Probably better than a coin flip.
I just let the Mrs take first whenever I can. However when we fly as a family, it doesn't make sense for first unless everyone is UG, which is not worth it domestically. SO, we typically request that our PNRs do not get split. In a shout out to UA it finally has added an option on OLCI to forego theUG. And so far it has worked
Old Dec 4, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NewSilver
I am silver and my husband is gold on UA. If only one of us makes F, we take turns on each flight taking the FC seat. In the past year we have swapped as follows: time 1 he took F and I got coach. Time 2 I took F and he coach. Time 3 he took F but at last minute I got upgraded to F. Time 4 he also took F and I sat in coach and again I got upgraded at last minute and was moved up to F. My question to him at that time was: next trip isn't it my turn to get first dibs on F? He says no since I got moved up both times to F at last minute But I think it IS my turn. Taking turns to me means getting the first choice of the FC seat - and if we luck out and get a second F seat at last minute then great. But if we don't and I'm in coach (according to his system) then it is too late to swap. Help and opinions please.
If he is gold sounds like the UG is his and you're lucky he gives it to you at all!
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:07 pm

Programs: MP Ag, former 1K
Originally Posted by chavala
If he is gold sounds like the UG is his and you're lucky he gives it to you at all!
A different school of thought is that even if the husband is upgraded, the upgrade belongs to the wife. Even if he is GS and she is kettle. She will decide whether she will permit him to keep the upgrade - or not.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by davewang202
A different school of thought is that even if the husband is upgraded, the upgrade belongs to the wife. Even if he is GS and she is kettle. She will decide whether she will permit him to keep the upgrade - or not.
This is certainly how it works in my family.

It reminds me of the old joke:

The husband says he’s focused on “important things” — like the federal budget, health care reform and peace in the Middle East. The wife says she’s focused on the “small things” — like their household budget, their children’s health care and keeping peace within their family.
Greg
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:25 am

Is visiting a spouse in business class from economy allowed?

Hi, I tried searching this but only came up with threads that talked about splitting a PNR so that one spouse could get the upgrade while the other remained in economy. For couples who flew separately, did you not see each other until after the flight landed, or could you visit each other during the flight?

My husband is traveling for work and can fly business class. I am going to take vacation and pay out of pocket to accompany him, a trans-atlantic flight of 11 hours. Unfortunately for me, there are no saver award miles for business class, so I redeemed miles for economy.

Now, my husband has never flown business class, so I thought he should try it out. We are both small people and could fit easily in the same seat. Does the United crew discourage people from other cabins to visit other passengers? We wouldn't talk (I think that could be disturbing to others) - we are content just sitting next to each other.

If visiting is frowned upon, would swapping seats mid-flight be possible, so we can both get some rest in a better lie-flat seat?

We may not have much leverage because I lost my status, and my husband has never had status.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Feb 8, 2015 at 6:46 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Feb 8, 2015, 2:59 am
Suspended

I would think(actualy,Im pretty darn sure) that the crew would strongly opose to 2 grown persons traveling in one seat,sorry!!
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:35 am
Formerly known as Stephenk19

Programs: Free Agent
I think it depends largely on the crew.

I have been on many flights where people traveling in different cabins have come for short visits (either Y to J or J to F). One time some buddies came back from F to visit me in J when my upgrade didn't clear - mostly to rub it in then to "visit", but that is another story.

I think visiting is fine, as long as you are not annoying the other PAX and the "visit" does not turn into an "extended stay"

I'm not sure the sharing the seat for more then a few minutes would fly, but again if the crew is not paying much attention maybe could get away with it. Yet even with being "small people" as you say I'm not sure two people in a UA BF seat would be that comfortable. Switching seats mid-flight may be the better option to let each of you have some time where it is possible to get some easier sleep.

Also are you in an aisle seat for the flight? If next to the window or in the middle of the 4 in the 2-4-2, that may be awkward I would think and might invite a comment from the PAX seated next to you asking what is going on.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 3:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by giceh
Hi, I tried searching this but only came up with threads that talked about splitting a PNR so that one spouse could get the upgrade while the other remained in economy. For couples who flew separately, did you not see each other until after the flight landed, or could you visit each other during the flight?

My husband is traveling for work and can fly business class. I am going to take vacation and pay out of pocket to accompany him, a trans-atlantic flight of 11 hours. Unfortunately for me, there are no saver award miles for business class, so I redeemed miles for economy.

Now, my husband has never flown business class, so I thought he should try it out. We are both small people and could fit easily in the same seat. Does the United crew discourage people from other cabins to visit other passengers? We wouldn't talk (I think that could be disturbing to others) - we are content just sitting next to each other.

If visiting is frowned upon, would swapping seats mid-flight be possible, so we can both get some rest in a better lie-flat seat?

We may not have much leverage because I lost my status, and my husband has never had status.
As long as you both have aisle seats you can get up and visit each other without disturbing other passengers. No way is the airline going to let you share a seat, even for a few minutes.

The only other worry is that if you decide to try to swap seats in the middle of the flight the airline might object if it looks like you're trying to get 2 business class meals.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 5:41 am

I have noticed that, in general, going 'down' in cabin is usually ok (F->J, J->Y) but going 'up' in cabin can get you in to trouble.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: United Platinum; Hilton D; Marriott G
You can't share a seat due to safety. Think about it--there is one seat belt, and there is one oxygen mask. As much as you love each other, you will either have to both sit in the back or remain split.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.