Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Switching seats between Economy and Business with Traveling Companions [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Switching seats between Economy and Business with Traveling Companions [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: If only all those cards were made from the precious metals and gemstones they claim to be.

I'm travelling next week with my aunt and we are travelling on the same outbound flight but a different return. I called United but they say they cannot merge the outbound itinerary’s in order to avail of the companion upgrade feature.

If I were to get a UDU on the domestic leg of our trip, would there be a problem with me giving my aunt my boarding pass, taking her E+ seat and letting her have my F seat?

Would it be a case of explaining it to the flight attendant or is this considered foul practice? If It makes any difference, we will be travelling with my mother who is on an F ticket for the entire journey.

I don't want to try it only to find it is frowned upon!

Thanks
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
Just ask the FA and they will allow it 99% of the time.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Gold
I do it all the time for my 2P spouse who has had three back surgeries. Even though we have different last names (and races), has never raised an eyebrow.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:33 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
The only time they ever attempt to verify is when it is meal time. Your aunt can always state that you are sitting in the back of the bus if asked. So far I have never had problems with giving up my UDU seat to my mother.

I have only seen them count the number of open FC seats (rarely happens on domestic) and check if that matches with the total on the passenger manifest.
PremEx2000 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Let FAs know, but not GAs.

It should be fine.
PremEx2000 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 6:24 am

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
I've done it with my wife, my kids, and total strangers who were in a seat I wanted. No need to ask permission even.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
As long as the change is permanent, it should not be a problem. Just sit in their seat and they sit in your seat. If for some reason you actually get asked about it, just have the person up-front say "I'm traveling with (your name) and we switched seats."

If you're switching seats mid-flight, it might be a bigger issue.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Last time I did it (always for my SO), I got her 17A on the old 777, so lots of kudos for little pain. However, she deemed that I was getting on too well with my seat mate in 17B (who had also swapped with her BF) and so there was some difficulty later to ensure that everything was in order (sadly, it was). But the difficulty was from the SOs, not the FAs.
Old Sep 13, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
I was on a CO flight where the GA came on board and called someone from Y to fill a vacant F seat. He sent a woman up to take the seat and the GA announced that if the person specified wasn't going to take the seat, she was obligated to offer the upgrade to the next elite on the list. So the guy took the seat.

I have never seen this on UA, and it is a sample of only 1, so as always, YMMV.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1kBill
I was on a CO flight where the GA came on board and called someone from Y to fill a vacant F seat. He sent a woman up to take the seat and the GA announced that if the person specified wasn't going to take the seat, she was obligated to offer the upgrade to the next elite on the list. So the guy took the seat.

I have never seen this on UA, and it is a sample of only 1, so as always, YMMV.
I can imagine they do that so #2 on the list doesn't get extremely upset, or call shenanigans.

If they have not called out a name and end up with a gender switch, it shouldn't be an issue.
Old Sep 14, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
Originally Posted by raehl311
I can imagine they do that so #2 on the list doesn't get extremely upset, or call shenanigans.

If they have not called out a name and end up with a gender switch, it shouldn't be an issue.
Agreed, -- clearly the better strategy would have been for the person called up -- to take the upgraded seat & then deal w/the pax switch after the flt was in progress, so as not to create any confusion!@:-)
Old Sep 14, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: Starwood Plat, UA Plat, 2MM, AS MVPG
I've done this with my wife at least six times and it has never been a problem on UA. "Happy wife, happy life."
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:54 pm

Switching seats from Economy to First with Non-Upgraded Parter

My girlfriend and I are traveling from the states to Australia. I have enough miles for one first class ticket on United. I have status with them as well, so I was planning on booking the award ticket in her name and booking the economy ticket in mine as its more likely I get upgraded. If I don't get upgraded will we be able to switch seats 1/2 way through the flight so we both get some sleep? Or do we have to stay in our assigned seats?
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:06 pm

What kind of upgrade were you thinking of?

UA (along with just about everyone else) does not upgrade status members on international flights (OK.. on long haul international flights!) for free..... especially not from Y to F...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 2:10 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
ask the purser in a nice manner about the swap....they might do it....neither of you can sleep in coach?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.