Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade international Y-C SURPRISE priority

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2012, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle

Bah-Iad

no R availability

It is J9,C9,D9,Z0

A friend is getting the cash upgrade offer of $1128 or 35k miles and 600 bucks.

How is this possible? She confirmed the upgrade with miles and copay with me still on the waitlist with a SWU!

For the return

Iad-bah

no R

J9, C9, D9, Z9

She didn't have enough miles but did the cash upgrade for 1088.

I am on her outbound but not return so I don't know about those on waitlist.

I guess I'm not surprised about the return clearing with the cash upgrade offer but the miles/copay clearing acting like a PCU (premium cabin upsell) and confirming instantly is surprising. She is a premier member and shot right past this 1k.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:09 am

Programs: No longer loyal "over-entitled" 1K
Welcome to COdbaUA.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, FPC Premier
Originally Posted by kkjay77
Welcome to COdbaUA.
+1. I've given up hoping for upgrades to clear automatically anymore. I hunt for R, otherwise buy STLK.
Old May 28, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by schley
Bah-Iad

no R availability

It is J9,C9,D9,Z0

A friend is getting the cash upgrade offer of $1128 or 35k miles and 600 bucks.

How is this possible? She confirmed the upgrade with miles and copay with me still on the waitlist with a SWU!

For the return

Iad-bah

no R

J9, C9, D9, Z9

She didn't have enough miles but did the cash upgrade for 1088.

I am on her outbound but not return so I don't know about those on waitlist.

I guess I'm not surprised about the return clearing with the cash upgrade offer but the miles/copay clearing acting like a PCU (premium cabin upsell) and confirming instantly is surprising. She is a premier member and shot right past this 1k.
This whole situation is just odd. She shouldn't clear with miles and co-pay if there is no R availabilty or your SWU should have cleared first. I'd PM UAInsider for good measure as this seems to be a clear example of the upgrade system being royally messed up. It won't fix the solution but at least you'll be giving UA more datapoints. This is deeply disappointing...
Old May 28, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K
Crazy idea: married-segment availability. Have you booked flight UA981, "direct" from BAH-IAD, which is actually UA981 BAH-KWI plus UA981 KWI-IAD?

If KWI-IAD were R9 and BAH-KWI were R0, under many circumstances you might see R0 online, and under many circumstances a waitlisted upgrade on the KWI-IAD direct flight might not clear. I can imagine circumstances where availability opens up on just the longhaul segment KWI-IAD and united.com is smart enough to let you buy-up on just that segment individually.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
Cash vs. Coupons (Miles, SWUs, RPUs, etc.). COdbaUA means cash is king and everything else walks to the back of the bus...
Old May 28, 2012, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mh3265a
This whole situation is just odd. She shouldn't clear with miles and co-pay if there is no R availabilty or your SWU should have cleared first. I'd PM UAInsider for good measure as this seems to be a clear example of the upgrade system being royally messed up. It won't fix the solution but at least you'll be giving UA more datapoints. This is deeply disappointing...
Correct, they both come out of the same bucket! How am i waitlisted and she cleared?

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Crazy idea: married-segment availability. Have you booked flight UA981, "direct" from BAH-IAD, which is actually UA981 BAH-KWI plus UA981 KWI-IAD?

If KWI-IAD were R9 and BAH-KWI were R0, under many circumstances you might see R0 online, and under many circumstances a waitlisted upgrade on the KWI-IAD direct flight might not clear. I can imagine circumstances where availability opens up on just the longhaul segment KWI-IAD and united.com is smart enough to let you buy-up on just that segment individually.
Woah you may have a point here.......I need to check this. There is a possiblity that she only used miles/copay for the Bah-Iad leg as her onward flight was a one cabin RJ........This could be a possibility if my iad-ord flight is the one that is holding up me clearning I need to call and see this asap.......wouldn't that suck........ Usually i only sponsor the over water leg but in this case I was sponsored by another person who I believe has the entire leg sponsored. Great suggestion, it could be my domestic leg that held this up and masked the R availablity (if there was any) for the Bah-Iad.
Old May 28, 2012, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

it could be my domestic leg that held this up and masked the R availablity (if there was any) for the Bah-Iad.
While it could mask things in the web page search it shouldn't for the system actually processing the upgrades. Those should still be handled segment-by-segment.
Old May 28, 2012, 12:35 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sbm12
While it could mask things in the web page search it shouldn't for the system actually processing the upgrades. Those should still be handled segment-by-segment.
+1. The more I think about it just if it is a married segment issue shouldn't allow someone with "miles and co-pay" at a lower elite level to clear before an SWU at a higher elite level.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:08 pm

Correct, they both come out of the same bucket! How am i waitlisted and she cleared?
Other than the KWI-BAH tag on the OP's flights, and the cash/miles+cash offer, is there anything materially different from how GPUs were/should have been handled in terms of priority vs. the experience using miles vs. a GPU in the thread linked below?

Info/Experiment on Intl Upgrade Priority Miles vs GPU
Old May 28, 2012, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kkjay77
Welcome to COdbaUA.
Umm, as the thread proves, research has proven a strong reason for this.
Old May 28, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM

Woah you may have a point here.......I need to check this. There is a possiblity that she only used miles/copay for the Bah-Iad leg as her onward flight was a one cabin RJ........This could be a possibility if my iad-ord flight is the one that is holding up me clearning I need to call and see this asap.......wouldn't that suck........ Usually i only sponsor the over water leg but in this case I was sponsored by another person who I believe has the entire leg sponsored. Great suggestion, it could be my domestic leg that held this up and masked the R availablity (if there was any) for the Bah-Iad.
That being said, PLEASE forward to UAInsider and get feedback with detailed flight info. It would be nice if they admit error, but silence can be deafening in this case.

Who knows, you may get your UG if (and only if!) you do this....
Old May 28, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Where does United say that GPUs, RPUs, miles+copa; buy up (not for eg at time of purchase to buy from W to C), come only from R buckets?
Old May 28, 2012, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA, AA, LH, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, Hertz
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 9000 (Bold): Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9900; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.576 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by AeroWesty
Other than the KWI-BAH tag on the OP's flights, and the cash/miles+cash offer, is there anything materially different from how GPUs were/should have been handled in terms of priority vs. the experience using miles vs. a GPU in the thread linked below?

Info/Experiment on Intl Upgrade Priority Miles vs GPU
I don't thinks there is any difference b/w the 2. Looks like another case of cash (any amount of cash) trumping GPU regardless of the status, be it pax or sponsor status. We will probably hear another fairytale about glitches but I learned not to trust them anymore.
Old May 28, 2012, 2:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by aacharya
Umm, as the thread proves, research has proven a strong reason for this.
I don't think so.

It is possible that the search showed R0 if the OP was looking at a connection and the extra segment didn't have the R inventory. And there is a slim possibility that UA had R0 on KWI-BAH and not BAH-IAD. Otherwise it seems like something is amiss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.