Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
COPA ceased using MileagePlus in July 2015 --forming its own program, ConnectMiles. However, COPA has continue to allow the use of UA MP GPUs.RPUs
With the introduction of PlusPoints, those are usable on CM.

FAQs:
Q: Can I use United GPUs/RPUs (and PlusPoints) on Copa?
A: Yes, both GPUs and RPUs can be used on Copa operated flights.

Q: What fare class do I need to be available for a GPU/RPU?
A: Z space on Copa. Or is it X? There are conflicting reports.

Q: Where can I find out what fare class is available?
A: Expertflyer is the best best. There are a few (old) reports that you can look for Z space on the UA site using expert mode. But that does not appear to be true.

There are also reports that Copa's I and Z inventory are closely, if not directly, correlated. Use the UA site to search for business saver award.

Q: Who do I call to process the upgrade?
A: Upgrades are processed by the "Star Alliance Desk" (which is not part of UA). Instead it appears to be a facilitator for travel on different *A carriers. Call United and asked to be transferred to the Star Alliance Desk. (Please add a direct number here if anyone has it).

Q: How does this work?
A: the Star Alliance Desk will create a United PNR for your Copa reservation and then apply the instrument for upgrade. You can see this PNR later in your UA account.

Q: Can I waitlist for an upgrade?
A: No. There is no current mechanism to wait list for flights. Keep checking back to see if space opens up.

Q: What fares are mileage upgradeable?
A: Copa Airlines – M, H, Q, K, V, U, S, O, W, E, L, T and A class

Pre-separation thread
COPA Upgrades for United members?
Related thread
Mileage Plus PQD/PQM for Copa?

Print Wikipost

Upgrades for UA MP flyer on COPA post MP separation

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2018, 8:31 pm

So this is odd. The return posted but with these totals.
PTY-IAD

PQM 2060
PQS 1
PQD 260
Award Miles 2860

However, remember this is a 016 ticket, and their receipt shows I should I gotten this.
AWARD MILES - 3586
PQM - 2060
PQD - 326
PQS - 1

Firstly, before I even address the errors, why in the world would they be able to figure out the return but not the outbound?
Also, with a 016 ticket, how do they get the figures wrong?
UA MP Service Center told me they have to send it to CM for approval. Does CM then put in the totals even with a 016 ticket?

Ugh. This has taken an inordinate amount of time and I haven't even gotten the outbound posted.

[/QUOTE]
Old Dec 3, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .53 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre, Hertz PC
United 1K flying Copa - Who do I book with?

My companion and I are planning on going to MDE next year, and my plan is to fly Copa from SFO, through PTY, to take advantage of Copa's new 737 MAX9 business seating. I would like to use my GPU's / RPU's for at least my ticket (and may use miles for my companion.) Dumb question - can I book the cash ticket directly with Copa and still use my United SWU's to upgrade? Would I call United or Copa to request the upgrade? Aside from price, is there any advantage to booking with one over the other? I'm planning on crediting the travel to my United MP account if that makes a difference.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN | UA 1K
Use RPUs (or 22.5k milles - sweat spot!) and make sure upgrade space is available for the leg SFO-PTY (usually PTY-MDE is always available since that’s only 55min flight time but in case there isn’t you just don’t care).

You have to call United and ask to be transferred to the Copa desk.

PS: There is no guarantee the 737-MAX with the new seats will be available
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
My companion and I are planning on going to MDE next year, and my plan is to fly Copa from SFO, through PTY, to take advantage of Copa's new 737 MAX9 business seating. I would like to use my GPU's / RPU's for at least my ticket (and may use miles for my companion.) Dumb question - can I book the cash ticket directly with Copa and still use my United SWU's to upgrade? Would I call United or Copa to request the upgrade? Aside from price, is there any advantage to booking with one over the other? I'm planning on crediting the travel to my United MP account if that makes a difference.
ticket stock does not matter. You can directly boom with CM, it might be even easier. Of course your RDM earnings with change like with any 016 vs. non-016 ticket ... so you'll have to calculate whether miles per dollar or distance-based is the better deal.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:14 pm

Speaking of: E-fares on Copa are ridiculously cheap compared to 016 stock
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by schlang
Speaking of: E-fares on Copa are ridiculously cheap compared to 016 stock
That's what I noticed. It's cheaper right now to book directly with Copa vs. the code-share flights with United. Is there a fare class requirement for using a United instrument on a Copa ticket? (Can you even do that?)

*EDIT*

Nevermind, I didn't see the answer above.

PS: There is no guarantee the 737-MAX with the new seats will be available
Is there any way to know what frames will be flying? That aside, don't all of the 737-MAX9's have the new seating? And isn't the MAX9 the only 737-9 that Copa is flying? ipso facto, if it says 737-9, can I assume that it's the MAX?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 3, 2018 at 10:37 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by LRMErnst
don't all of the 737-MAX9's have the new seating? And isn't the MAX9 the only 737-9 that Copa is flying? ipso facto, if it says 737-9, can I assume that it's the MAX?
No you can't assume anything with CM. It has always been total aircraft roulette. And they currently have only three of these aircraft.
schlang likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:14 am

According to their website they will have five until the end of the year and plan to add another eight during 2019: https://www.copaair.com/en/web/us/co...ents-new-max-9

Since I'm from Medellin I always fly via Panama to the US, either Copa or United, and after having 40+ flights with Copa I have to agree with Kacee: when it comes to Copa you can never rely on anything.
I'm pretty sure they intend to serve their high valued routes (LAX, SFO, NYC) with their 737-9 but in case of any irrop you are stuck with their old 737-8.

Another thing I must add is that I have never tried to upgrade a Copa flight earlier than 4 weeks to departure - I don't know if there always is upgrade space available or they just open it up at some time. What dates are you looking for? Regarding the fare classes, I'm not aware of a fare class restriction but since I have managed to upgrade E-fares two times in a row I don't think there is any.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When they were introducing the 738B (with barcaloungers) to the fleet you didn't know until you boarded what you were going to get. CM tried to keep them on the premium routes (e.g., LAX-PTY) but it was never assured.

SFO-PTY-MDE is still your best routing. Next best (sticking with *A) would be AV via LAX and BOG. The J fares are dirt cheap on that route but AV is horrible in IRROPS (CM can also be pretty bad).
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
When they were introducing the 738B (with barcaloungers) to the fleet you didn't know until you boarded what you were going to get. CM tried to keep them on the premium routes (e.g., LAX-PTY) but it was never assured.

SFO-PTY-MDE is still your best routing. Next best (sticking with *A) would be AV via LAX and BOG. The J fares are dirt cheap on that route but AV is horrible in IRROPS (CM can also be pretty bad).
Thanks for the insight. I'll keep AV in mind.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:17 am

Avianca in general is a terrible airline: expensive, service is non-existing, food sucks and no matter what class you are flying they treat you {poorly}.
On top of that the crew is busy chatting behind the curtain and they treat gringos especially arrogant.

Besides the hardware, Copa is far superior in any matter.

€dit:

Originally Posted by Kacee
Can you give me an example of dirt cheap AV J fares that do not include 3 stop overs?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Dec 4, 2018 at 10:40 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:45 am

Avianca in general is a terrible airline: expensive, service is non-existing, food sucks and no matter what class you are flying they treat you {poorly}.
On top of that the crew is busy chatting behind the curtain and they treat gringos especially arrogant.

Besides the hardware, Copa is far superior in any matter.

€dit:

Can you give me an example of dirt cheap AV J fares that do not include 3 stop overs?
Yeah, getting from SFO to MDE looks to be the easiest, and fastest, via PTY on CM.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:48 pm

SFO-LAX-BOG-MDE (two stops) can be had in the $1400 range (earlier in the year it was even cheaper). LAX-BOG is the 788 with lie-flats. UA will sell the ticket, so you get full PQD.

It's definitely superior to the UA routing via IAH, which is also two stops, much more expensive, and no longer has lie-flats.
schlang likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...when it comes to Copa you can never rely on anything...
Well, let's be clear here - hopefully you're referring to aircraft type to expect. Otherwise, Copa is very reliable in a lot of areas. I've made many connections (incl. short ones) at PTY to/from farther south and I wish more airlines were more reliable. Soft product isn't spectacular, but reliable. also.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Soft product isn't spectacular, but reliable. also.
"Pollo o carne?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.