Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rude comments just becoming the norm?

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2012, 1:21 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; DROID RAZR 4G Build/6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-8) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

A while back on a Co flight prior to the merger, I listened to some unprofessional commentary about the airline, etc from some crew. Tonight while waiting for check in, I heard a crew member comment, and I quote...working for this airline gets more embarrassing...they ate treating us like the passengers now.

Man I would hate to be one of those lowly...passengers.
Old May 26, 2012, 3:03 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Platinum,
We should counter it with a Kindness Pay it Forward.

When a FA gives us attitude, we should retort back with kindness. If we meet rudeness with attitude, we'll just continue the cycle...
Old May 26, 2012, 4:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bsmnsr

When a FA gives us attitude, we should retort back with kindness. If we meet rudeness with attitude, we'll just continue the cycle...
You could also counter it with another air carrier...
Old May 26, 2012, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by BillBauman
You could also counter it with another air carrier...
^^^
Old May 26, 2012, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by bsmnsr

It takes two to tango.
Old May 26, 2012, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by antonius66
[SIZE=1]
they ate treating us like the passengers now.

The entire industry treats the employees better than passengers...

employees get to cut the security line

employees get three carry-ons

employees flying as passengers generally get the exit row seat while non-employees get the seat in the last row when both get cleared from the standby list

employees flying as passengers often get a free snack box and/or adult beverage

Not making value judgements (and it happens in other industries...chefs often get comped stuff in other restaurants)...just pointing out that there is some merit to the statement
Old May 26, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
When I hear something like this, which is rarely, all I do is make sure that the person that said it knows that they were overheard.

Everyone's under pressure from this merger, employees too, and there are bound to be instances of saying things that you might not have said had you thought about it first.

I cut them some slack as long as they do their job well, and don't take it out on the passengers. If they start to treat us without courtesy, my approach is to push back (verbally) gently but firmly, for example repeating back to them what they said with a question mark.
Old May 26, 2012, 4:34 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; DROID RAZR 4G Build/6.5.1-167_DHD-14_M3-8) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

A while back on a Co flight prior to the merger, I listened to some unprofessional commentary about the airline, etc from some crew. Tonight while waiting for check in, I heard a crew member comment, and I quote...working for this airline gets more embarrassing...they ate treating us like the passengers now.

I'm actually surprised to hear you find this rude. Maybe it was the tone?

It's less about passengers being, well, "lowly passengers" as you put it, and more about flight crew recognizing that the company they work for treats its customers poorly (and getting worse), and are starting to feel like they are being treated just as poorly as well.
Old May 28, 2012, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Oh the tone was very rude. The guy was clearly having a bad day...
Old May 28, 2012, 8:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by StingWest
my approach is to push back (verbally) gently but firmly, for example repeating back to them what they said with a question mark.
That'll teach 'em.
Old May 28, 2012, 9:26 pm

You really have no context in how he was saying this do you? I think United treats its passengers horribly now, so saying what he said could mean their treating the employees even worse than before now. Example is our pass riding program is in shambles now, hard to get anywhere, PNR's disappearing, no way to buy offline tickets with GA's not knowing how to do it in SHARES and no telephone support anymore from the company, etc....do these complaints sound familiar to what you hear on FT from passengers?

So he didn't say "lowly passengers", those were your words. Based on the verbage you wrote, it could have been pity towards what you go through now. I do find it funny that once again a passenger is out out eavesdropping on what other passengers or crew are saying so they can run to FT and write about it. Did you happen to notice who was in FC and whether any were employees daring to sit there?

AD

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 29, 2012 at 9:32 am Reason: off-topic
Old May 28, 2012, 11:00 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
B) That's because we're working and have bags that are for work. When traveling on passes we have the same restrictions as everyone else....
Likely that a pilot might have a pub bag, but not not sure this applies to FAs. Original comment was about "employees" in general....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.