Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 1, 2013, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Ari
PLEASE READ FIRST: WIKIPOST and MODERATOR NOTE

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please note: Insensitive or attacking posts, discussion about other posters and their motives, and other off-topic posts/comments are not allowed, per FlyerTalk Rules.

--> If you have a question or comment about moderation, use the "Alert a Moderator" button left of every post, or send a PM. Do not post such comments/questions on-thread. Thank you.

N.B. Please do not alter the above message.

• • • • •

[Please post NLY status updates and relevant Q&A here.]

Plaintiff: George Lagen, on behalf of himself and all others similarly situated
Defendant: United Continental Holdings, Inc. and United Airlines, Inc.

Filed In The United States District Court For The Northern District Of Illinois Eastern Division

Case No. 1:12-cv-04056
Filed: 05/24/2012

Judge Harry D. Leinenweber
Magistrate Judge Young B. Kim

Proposed class: All persons, as of midnight, December 31, 2011, who were members of the Million Mile Program under United Airlines’ Mileage Plus frequent flyer program.

Filings/rulings can be found on www.pacer.gov (requires registration)

12 June 2012 - Amended Class Action Complaint filed
Spring 2013 - Court denies United's request to close case
Spring 2013 - Plaintiff files for suit to become a class action, United asks Judge before he decides if there could be limited discovery (which typically happens after case becomes class-action). Judge allows it.
August 2013 - Depositions/Limited Discovery completed and transcripts were handed over to the court.
22 October 2013 - Pursuant to an order of the Court, both sides filed cross-motions for summary judgment:

Plaintiff contends that he is a United pre-merger Million Miler, that United promised Million Miler fliers certain lifetime benefits on its web site, including two regional upgrades every year and Premier Executive status, which provided certain delineated benefits (e.g., 100% mileage bonus). Plaintiff cites deposition testimony from United stating "lifetime" means: "as long as they were really able to fly … as long as someone is coming on a plane and alive and capable of flying." Plaintiff concludes by stating that United has breached its contract with its pre-merger Million Miler fliers by reducing the lifetime benefits they were promised.

United contends in its motion that Million Miler is part of the MileagePlus program, that United reserved the right to make any changes it wishes to the MileagePlus program, and that the changes it made that plaintiff now complains of are therefore contractually permissible. United does not admit, and does not address, the "lifetime" benefit statements that it made on its website.

23 January 2014 - Judge denies Plaintiff's motion for summary judgment and grants United's cross-motion for summary judgment. Judgment entered in favor of United.

The Judge begins his Opinion with a quote from Job: “The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away” and then holds that Plaintiff has not produced any evidence that UA made him an offer to participate in a separate MM program.

The Court noted that: “The sum total of his evidence is vague references to ‘electronic and written correspondence’ from United, which, in both instances postdates his qualification as a Million Mile flyer and was not directed to him; and a 1997 Newsletter from United announcing the creation of the program he could not remember receiving. However the card he did receive from United, admitting him to MililionMile Flyer Program, shows that his new status is clearly a status within the Mileage Plus Frequent Flyer Program, as does the form letters United sent to applicants advising them of their admission to the MillionMile Flyer program. In fact, Plaintiff in his Complaint alleges that the MillionMile Flyer program was part of the Mileage Plus program. He has not produced any document that comes close to substantiating that the programs were separate and distinct."

Bottom line: The Court agreed with United's position that the Plaintiff had not proved the existence of a separate contract between itself and the Million Milers.

Full decision: http://media.wandr.me/MMerOpinion.pdf

20 February 2014

Plaintiff filed a notice of appeal of the trial court's decision. The record on appeal is due by March 13, 2014.

Appeal docs available at:
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-Appeal-filed-2-20-14.pdf
  • http://media.wandr.me/UAL-MM-letter-of-appeal.pdf
Appellant's (Lagen's) Brief due 4/2/2014

8 September 2014
Oral arguments were heard by a three judge panel. Links to the original MP3 of the Court's recording and also some transcription can be found around post 2350 and for several more following that.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23496499-post2361.html

22 December 2014
Affirmed over a dissent.
http://media.ca7.uscourts.gov/cgi-bin/rssExec.pl?Submit=Display&Path=Y2014/D12-22/C:14-1375:J:Wood:aut:T:fnOp:N:1474449:S:0
Print Wikipost

Million Miler Sues United [Judgment for UA Jan 2014] Judgment Affirmed Dec 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2012, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA Global Services / Million Miler, Marriott Ambassador / Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by travel.flier
Using the arguments in this thread, then i don't see why this would be limited to current MM'ers. If you paid UA Full F v competition for 3 years and ended at 990k miles, to me, you have as much damage as a current MM'er.

(FWIW, I'm still a yr from getting it, but I definitely directed BIS traffic to UA in expectation of 2 CR1's for life once hitting MM)
Bingo. I've argued this many times over in the mega MM thread. I was exactly at 800K BIS miles on 12/31/11, and you can bet the lure of promised lifetime benefits over the course of YEARS played very heavily into my decisions for the 10 years of heavy travel leading up to that. It's a slippery slope and shouldn't be solely about officially having crossed 1M BIS by 12/31 or not. If there is resolution, it needs to be whole resolution. And if that means I need to keep flying to get to 1 M UA metal BIS to get it, that's fine by me. I'd much rather get rid of my current MM status post conversion (at about 1.25M or so with the extras due to lots of paid international Z, D and C) and still go for what the benefits had been promised over many years.

Kudos to someone at least taking a true stab at this.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:14 pm

Programs: Global Services
Originally Posted by TheCount2
The plaintiff did do something stupid to himself -- he did not read his contract. It is linked below, and as we all know United can modify the program at its discretion. He got what he paid for, which is $$hundreds of thousands of travel, according to the linked article. He may be really angry, as I would be, but I don't see the grounds for a successful suit. I'm sure I'll get flamed, but that's my opinion.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...s/default.aspx
The Million Miler description even today states that the benefits are "generous lifetime status rewards." No mention of "your lifetime or until we change our mind, whichever comes first." I am no lawyer, but it seems there is at least an argument here.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Ua has the right to change the program. If you are not a million miler, sucks to be you. In this case, though, the plaintiff has fulfilled the requirement of a million miler and as such is entitled to the benefits.

Imagine you accumulated 100k miles and booked a trip for September back in February. Would it be acceptable for the new Ua to undo the reservation and ask you for 120 k miles since that is what it would cost under the new program?

This will be fun.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by JetAway
I think this lawsuit is more about using potential adverse publicity against UA as leverage to get them to restore the lost benefits rather than winning outright. If the suit goes forward (and it's a big "if") the plaintiff can use Discovery to closely examine UA about both MP and the MM program. UA obviously would not want that.
+1

The MM changes were a while ago. He waited until now to sue.

From the article: "The suit notes a recent comment by John Rainey, United's new chief financial officer during an investor conference this month. Rainey said some members of the frequent-flier program were "over-entitled," a comment that drew customer ire on frequent-flier message boards."

The Rainey comment was what, a week ago? Either Rainey drove him to do it, or this gave him ammo to say UA had intent.

Either way, if he wanted to sue, he could have weeks or months ago. It's Rainey who made this bed.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat (1mm), Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by cdghart
The Million Miler description even today states that the benefits are "generous lifetime status rewards." No mention of "your lifetime or until we change our mind, whichever comes first." I am no lawyer, but it seems there is at least an argument here.
Unfortunately, I don't see how you get around the language that "MileagePlus membership and benefits, including the Premier Program, are offered at the discretion of United Airlines and its affiliates, and United has the right to terminate the Program and/or the Premier Program or to change the Program Rules, regulations, benefits, conditions of participation or mileage levels, in whole or in part, at any time".

IMHO, another case where if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere. I don't understand these type of lawsuits.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:33 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Originally Posted by channa
+1

The MM changes were a while ago. He waited until now to sue.

From the article: "The suit notes a recent comment by John Rainey, United's new chief financial officer during an investor conference this month. Rainey said some members of the frequent-flier program were "over-entitled," a comment that drew customer ire on frequent-flier message boards."

The Rainey comment was what, a week ago? Either Rainey drove him to do it, or this gave him ammo to say UA had intent.

Either way, if he wanted to sue, he could have weeks or months ago. It's Rainey who made this bed.
It's more like a they and not just a he since it's a class action I am sure it took sometime to coordinate. The CFO remarks were probably just thrown in at the last minute.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:38 pm

Programs: UA G
I'm not a lawyer. What's the significance of the benefits being "bargained-for"?
Old May 25, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
With the suit filed in Chicago, my fingers are crossed that the judge is a United flyer!
Old May 25, 2012, 6:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by johnathome
Unfortunately, I don't see how you get around the language that "MileagePlus membership and benefits, including the Premier Program, are offered at the discretion of United Airlines and its affiliates, and United has the right to terminate the Program and/or the Premier Program or to change the Program Rules, regulations, benefits, conditions of participation or mileage levels, in whole or in part, at any time". .....
IMNAL but to heavily use the term LIFETIME in your promotional materials clearly creates a customer impression regardless the fine print. Suspect this will be the cornerstone of the ligation.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Unfortunately, I don't see how you get around the language that "MileagePlus membership and benefits, including the Premier Program, are offered at the discretion of United Airlines and its affiliates, and United has the right to terminate the Program and/or the Premier Program or to change the Program Rules, regulations, benefits, conditions of participation or mileage levels, in whole or in part, at any time".

IMHO, another case where if you don't like it, take your business elsewhere. I don't understand these type of lawsuits.
I don't disagree that America is a relatively over-litigious society.

That said, it is a country of generally great extremes. These extremes lend both to companies going too far and people going too far. I reasonably doubt the "change any time" wording of many loyalty programs would stand up in countries with greater consumer protection. It is when the prominent wording of the program creates promises that conflict with the fine print, leading to deception, or the perception of deception, that a consumer could reasonably argue that damage has occurred. In this instance, to me, that is plainly, obviously the case. In court, over time, it is likely a wash. It will be interesting to see.

I am certain, though, that in no way is it likely that United can possibly come out on the positive side of this.
Old May 25, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
Originally Posted by u2vox
Bingo. I've argued this many times over in the mega MM thread. I was exactly at 800K BIS miles on 12/31/11, and you can bet the lure of promised lifetime benefits over the course of YEARS played very heavily into my decisions for the 10 years of heavy travel leading up to that. It's a slippery slope and shouldn't be solely about officially having crossed 1M BIS by 12/31 or not. If there is resolution, it needs to be whole resolution. And if that means I need to keep flying to get to 1 M UA metal BIS to get it, that's fine by me. I'd much rather get rid of my current MM status post conversion (at about 1.25M or so with the extras due to lots of paid international Z, D and C) and still go for what the benefits had been promised over many years.

Kudos to someone at least taking a true stab at this.
+1

Same boat here. I'm still adding business to UA and hoping for a good resolution on this issue. But, at 870K (and booked to 950K), I'm losing patience quickly.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The filing would be more believable if the supposed claims were actually accurate.
Old May 25, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
IMNAL but to heavily use the term LIFETIME in your promotional materials clearly creates a customer impression regardless the fine print. Suspect this will be the cornerstone of the ligation.
UA's response could well be, "We represented to you that you would have Million Miler status for life. You still do. We didn't tell you that all of the benefits of Million Miler status would remain the same, and in fact we explicitly said we reserve the right to change them."

Still, it stinks. What, after all, does loyalty mean if it's a one way street? At the very least, UA should have allowed existing MMers, and perhaps also those who have already accumulated a significant fraction of 1 million miles, to choose the old benefits or the new ones. This is just simple common sense: don't piss off your best customers.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by blueman2
OK, I read his complaint. Sorry, but this comes across as very amateurish. He should have just stuck with the facts which I think are in his favor. But the suit if full of emotion and necessary detail. My level of hope just went down.
This guy should have at least proofread his filing and run it past a lawyer or two to make the arguments coherent. Did the lawyers who filed this thing actually read it? The document is filled with emotin and hyperbole.
Old May 25, 2012, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA life 1K, 2MM; AA Life Pt 3mm; DL nada now!; AS nada now; BA, FD, CX, LH, DD, Amex Pt, Diners
Exclamation Interesting... some offbeat thoughts...

An interesting way to get a few $150 off vouchers. Let's hope he does not get to lose all his miles for a hidden city or incorrect change fee at some time in his flying career, cos they are going to be looking... He's not a lawyer or living with one is he? OK Dumb question....

So my last comment is that he spent hundreds of thousands of dollars to get to 1MM miles and he implies that his goal of flying was just this. Me thinks he needs to join flyertalk. Hundreds of thousands of dollars for a million miles. Let's assume that is $300k, then that is 300,000 x 100 / 1,000,000 = 30 cents a mile. Not exactly mileage run stuff. In fact that is 10 x worse than the 3 cent a mile rates we see featured on this site daily.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.