Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Advice needed: Oversold F, confirmed in F with no seat assignments

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2012, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100

Have 2 seats out of CDG to ORD (one is ON saver GF award, one was confirmed upgrade from Z to ON with miles + $$) that HAD seat assignments on the 777 before downgauge to 763.

Flight is now F0, J0. Seat assignments lost during downgauge and seatmap is full. According to reservations, F now oversold by 2 (not surpisingly).

Assuming nothing changes in next month, what does UA do when we check in at CDG? I know there is some potential for some pretty substantial EU compensation, but I'd rather just have some confirmed seats in no worse cabin than C. Also cant separate, given that the ON saver seat is a child.

Any advice on being pro-active, should I expect to be contacted by UA or should I just ride out next month and see what happens?
Old May 22, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by paullevi:18624829

Any advice on being pro-active, should I expect to be contacted by UA or should I just ride out next month and see what happens?
Perhaps you should call the airline and ask what is going on?
Old May 22, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: QR platinum
If you wish peace of mind, you could try to be proactive and attempt to get two C seats for the flight (plus refund of miles+copay).

However, given the strong protection afforded by EU regulations you will have, I would probably wait it out and check-in well in advance (~two hours before flight). If they downgrade both of you to C on the 673, it should not be a bad outcome, seat is great and you can get a good cash compensation under EU/261-2004 (which I would recommend studying in advance and go prepared at the check-in/gate). If they only downgrade you (because ticketed originally in Z), you can always offer a swap to your seat neighbor for the infant (and you would only have lost 6500 miles...). Btw, I think that because you had miles+$$ copay, you can make an argument that you have "purchased" (and you are clearly ticketed with) a first class ticket for the purpose of EU/261.

FWIW, there are two other direct flights CDG-ORD (AF and AA), so even alternate accommodation should not be an issue.
Old May 22, 2012, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Originally Posted by Gamecock
Perhaps you should call the airline and ask what is going on?
Uhm, see what I wrote:

Originally Posted by paullevi
According to reservations, F now oversold by 2
Originally Posted by CASAFlyer
If you wish peace of mind, you could try to be proactive and attempt to get two C seats for the flight (plus refund of miles+copay).
Would do this in a heartbeat if flight wasnt J0 and C seatmap completely full.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 22, 2012 at 7:20 pm Reason: multi-quote
Old May 22, 2012, 7:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by paullevi
Uhm, see what I wrote:
Umm, and did they give you any options?
Old May 22, 2012, 7:18 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
I don't have any great ideas for the OP. You really are in a pickle because your original cabin is unavailable. I guess the best you can do is keep monitoring the flight and call in if any seats open up. Also explore other routings/dates if they work for you to have as a backup if flight day approaches and you still have no seats.
Old May 22, 2012, 8:27 pm

Programs: UA Prem Exec MM Life, Marriott Planinum Life
Many years ago (pre-EU) I arrived LHR to US First class checkin to be told that my confirmed upgrade had been cancelled. UA offered me Business on same flight or First on AA. I took the first on AA, times very close to each other. Not sure they would do that anymore?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.