Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Which PMUA ghetto bird is worse: 763 or non-PS 757?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2012, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler

Booking an M-class fare JFK-SFO-EWR. Sitting in biz on the PS flight outbound but unfortunately it looks like my only choices flying back to EWR are either a PMUA 757 or 763. Every non-PS PMUA 757 that I've flown on has felt like I was taking a flight to the year 1981. I've Never flown a domestic 763 but I've certainly read about them on FT. End of the day, is either one demonstrably better or worse? FWIW, the 763 is the more convenient time. I can't believe I'm actually pining for a PMCO 738 with the least comfortable F seat possible.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold (1MM), Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BigPoppaCO
Booking an M-class fare JFK-SFO-EWR. Sitting in biz on the PS flight outbound but unfortunately it looks like my only choices flying back to EWR are either a PMUA 757 or 763. Every non-PS PMUA 757 that I've flown on has felt like I was taking a flight to the year 1981. I've Never flown a domestic 763 but I've certainly read about them on FT. End of the day, is either one demonstrably better or worse? FWIW, the 763 is the more convenient time. I can't believe I'm actually pining for a PMCO 738 with the least comfortable F seat possible.
I'll take PMUA 757 over 763 anyday in First. Non-PS PMUA 757 is still better than PMCO 757.
Old May 19, 2012, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
The PMUA 763 is the one known as the "ghetto bird."

The PMUA 752 is not.

That should answer your question right there.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
I'll take PMUA 757 over 763 anyday in First. Non-PS PMUA 757 is still better than PMCO 757.
In Y perhaps. Certainly not upfront which is all lie-flat on PMCO birds.
Old May 19, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K AA EXP
Originally Posted by PapaSmurf
Non-PS PMUA 757 is still better than PMCO 757.

Please. I really fail to see how. sCO 757 has lie flat seats in BuinessFirst and AVOD and plugs throughout the entire plane including ALL of coach. sCO has larger bins and a modern interior.

sUA 757 no lie flat seat, no AVOD and plugs for some of coach. Not to mention the interior is old. CRT monitors, airphones. etc.

Since the merger I have flown on sUA Ghetto Bird 767-300, 747, and 757-200 in coach and I haven't seen such raggedy a$$ looking aircraft since I last flown AA in 2001.

One place sCO really invested was their airplanes. All the 777s and 752s are lie flat and AVOD. All the 737NG are DTV except a handful due to seat problem. 735s are heading out the door. 753s are going to start DTV this year. Once done they would have been the only US airline to have PTVs in all seats in mainline fleet. The interior of all their mainline planes look up to date.

sUA 757-200

sCO 757-200

Old May 20, 2012, 4:05 am

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
I'd say the worst ghetto bird of all above is PMCO 757-300 currently. PMUA 767 has worse first class seats but you're guaranteed an empower for your laptop needs. PMUA non-ps 757, some of these have empower and some of them not. PMCO 757-300 has no power, no dtv, no entertainment and seats are hard.
Old May 20, 2012, 5:41 am

FWIW, the 763 is the more convenient time.
Then take that flight.

In F, the PMUA 763 has the narrowest seats, in Y, it has the best E+ seats. It's really not all that terrible as FT would have you believe, but F is just not that great. Most people would still take it over an E+ seat though. For me, it's not that bad if the person in front of you doesn't do full recline. The bulkhead seats don't have a lot of leg room, so normally I avoid them on the 763, but that's one way of avoiding having somebody recline into you.

On the PMUA 752, the 2nd exit rows (21) have infinite leg room and full recline. If you are lucky enough to get an empty middle next to you they are better than F. 1A/B have a small cutout for a tiny bit of extra legroom, but if you are tall, you won't like 1A/B. 8F also has no seat in front of it, but no underseat storage either.

-David
Old May 20, 2012, 5:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by saaws
I'd say the worst ghetto bird of all above is PMCO 757-300 currently. PMUA 767 has worse first class seats but you're guaranteed an empower for your laptop needs. PMUA non-ps 757, some of these have empower and some of them not. PMCO 757-300 has no power, no dtv, no entertainment and seats are hard.
I threw out my emPower adapter a couple years ago once actual plugs became the norm and finding that even when one was on a plane that had them they seldom actually worked. Plus now laptop batteries can last pretty much all domestic flights.
Old May 20, 2012, 6:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CO777DAL

Please. I really fail to see how. sCO 757 has lie flat seats in BuinessFirst and AVOD and plugs throughout the entire plane including ALL of coach. sCO has larger bins and a modern interior.
This is really a false comparison, as you don't differentiate between the sCO 752 and 753.

The 753 is analogous to the PMUA 757, though arguably even a worse experience if in the back. And like many, I greatly prefer both the F and Y seats on UA to CO.

The 752 would be a better comp to the PMUA PS 757s, though they're still very different animals.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by channa
The PMUA 763 is the one known as the "ghetto bird."

The PMUA 752 is not.

That should answer your question right there.
+1
Old May 20, 2012, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K / CO PLT
Originally Posted by ryan182
I threw out my emPower adapter a couple years ago once actual plugs became the norm and finding that even when one was on a plane that had them they seldom actually worked. Plus now laptop batteries can last pretty much all domestic flights.
Depending on what kind of power-guzzler your laptop is and what you're doing on your lap top for those 5-7 hour Hawaii/Transcon flights. Did you make sure your lap top's battery recharge was turned off? that might turn off emPower. I know some of the airplanes don't have it working reliably but on my last 3 flights on PMCO (764) and PMUA (777 domestic) emPower worked just fine.
Old May 20, 2012, 8:35 am

Programs: 1P, AA EXP, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
This is really a false comparison, as you don't differentiate between the sCO 752 and 753.

The 753 is analogous to the PMUA 757, though arguably even a worse experience if in the back. And like many, I greatly prefer both the F and Y seats on UA to CO.

The 752 would be a better comp to the PMUA PS 757s, though they're still very different animals.
+1. I'm assuming since the OP was asking for a comparison of the ghetto bird, they were looking at domestic routes. The PMCO 757s that have the BF routes aren't the default for most domestic routes and typically, from my experience, operate on CO's international routes or feeder flights into them. So if someone is say, looking to fly a CO 757 from SFO-IAH, I think the odds of getting the version with lie flat seats isn't very high or at least isn't something you can depend on. I guess only folks who spend time on FT are going to know the difference between the 752 and the 753 and know the propensity to see which on a given route. Either way, pays to do some research ahead of time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.