Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Elite Instant Upgrade for International Flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2012, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, HH Diamond

Can anyone confirm whether or not the 1K instant upgrade benefit for M-fare tickets applies for international flights? (e.g. LAX - SYD)

Thanks in advance...
Old May 16, 2012, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by _kepeli_
Can anyone confirm whether or not the 1K instant upgrade benefit for M-fare tickets applies for international flights? (e.g. LAX - SYD)

Thanks in advance...
Simple answer for that route is No.

M upgrades are only valid on flights that you are eligible for UDU. You need to use a GPU (SWU) for that flight and your fare must be W or higher.
Old May 16, 2012, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K Million Miler, HH Diamond
Thank you for the prompt reply...
Old May 16, 2012, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mccullo3
Simple answer for that route is No.

M upgrades are only valid on flights that you are eligible for UDU. You need to use a GPU (SWU) for that flight and your fare must be W or higher.
Im not aware of a single Intl flight where Y or Ms get UPed for nothing. Its usually a CO-Pay with Miles and $$ depending on the fare purchased decides the amount of each that must be forked over

* except for Can,Mex, CA and certain SA mkts where its considered like a Domestic flight but its Domestic FC rather then BF even if its called BF
Old May 16, 2012, 6:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by craz
Im not aware of a single Intl flight where Y or Ms get UPed for nothing. Its usually a CO-Pay with Miles and $$ depending on the fare purchased decides the amount of each that must be forked over

* except for Can,Mex, CA and certain SA mkts where its considered like a Domestic flight but its Domestic FC rather then BF even if its called BF.
Any CPU flight is eligible, so in addition to the exceptions you *, there is also "Intra-Asia, Oceania"
So a fair number of Intl flights include YBM instant ugrades.
Old May 16, 2012, 6:58 pm

Programs: UAL 1K, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver
yes, i got one today on TPE-NRT. Pleasantly surprised!
Old May 16, 2012, 6:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Any CPU flight is eligible, so in addition to the exceptions you *, there is also "Intra-Asia, Oceania"
So a fair number of Intl flights include YBM instant ugrades.
I was sort of saying any flight where its not BF but FC domestic metal so yes NRT-HKG or HKG-SIN among others fall under that however NRT-SIN doesnt since its not a Domestic metal plane

so basically US to Europe,Asia,Africa or the Middle East no freebes.I believe Brazil and Argentina are the only 2 SA Countrys that use Intl metal no freebes.

But most of the time when new folks ask they think those Intl planes are also included as freebes
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
platinum buy B ticket no instant upgrade, is it worth?

What is the probability to get upgrade? It is HKG-SFO long haul ticket.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kunk00
Close to zero chance, without requesting an upgrade for miles or GPUs.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:31 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, Marco Polo Club Green , HH Blue, Marriott Plat
Chance for upgrade

I have put in for upgrades with miles and $, and I have a 40% upgrade rate. It seems to have risen to 50% as I have progressed from Silver to Gold.

EW
Old Jul 10, 2012, 12:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
As already mentioned, you'll have to use Miles & CoPay or a SWU to attempt an upgrade into C. Just be warned that HKG-SFO is a very tough flight to upgrade. My last time on this flight (March), saw more than 50 people waitlisted for an upgrade to C! IIRC, only two or three cleared at the gate. Lots of unhappy 1Ks, etc, when they were told to board with their Y seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.