Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
from MileagePlus Program Rules
7. Accrued mileage, Premier (and/or Million Miler) status levels, Premier (and/or Million Miler) benefits, Premier Qualifying Credits and certificates do not constitute property of the Member and are not transferable except as set forth herein. Accrued mileage may be transferred to another MileagePlus account through United’s Transfer Miles Program. Members must comply with the Transfer Miles Program Terms and Conditions found on united.com. In the event of the death or divorce of a Member, United may, in its sole discretion, credit all or a portion of such Member’s accrued mileage to authorized persons upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to United and payment of applicable fees.
Reports are the administrative fee is $75 / $150. There is no longer a fee.

You will need a death certificate and signed (and notarized) affidavit attesting that you are the executor of the estate. Then you contact UA MileagePlus Customer Support..

The executor can designate multiple recipients.

While not formally allowed by the rules, it is also possible if you have the account holder's login information to use that account to spend the miles directly from the account.

Print Wikipost

Miles transfer / usage upon member death

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2022, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Thanks. Lots of great reports in that thread. It looks like United treats folks well, despite the T&C saying they will only think about it.

Thanks again!
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2022, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by johndoe123
My father has 1-2 million United miles, and will likely pass away in the next 3 months. What is the best way to deal with this so mother can still use and travel with them? United Airlines website doesn't seem to have a definitive policy in this manner.
I did 1.3m for a PIL to his widow back in April 2022. YMMV

You can also spread it around, I think the form has 3 fields for destination (I would imagine one could do more if asked) and with that many miles, I’d spread it around if possible and reasonable for parties. (Too many makes it hard to give to some and not other, etc, everyone’s family is different).

I wouldn’t want to park that many miles with a similar aged spouse and frankly unless I had some BIG LARGE denomination trips planned, having that many miles - which DO and WILL SOON more depreciate, it’s better to get them into the hard of folks who will manage down the balance practicably
Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by nmenaker
I did 1.3m for a PIL to his widow back in April 2022. YMMV

You can also spread it around, I think the form has 3 fields for destination (I would imagine one could do more if asked) and with that many miles, I’d spread it around if possible and reasonable for parties. (Too many makes it hard to give to some and not other, etc, everyone’s family is different).

I wouldn’t want to park that many miles with a similar aged spouse and frankly unless I had some BIG LARGE denomination trips planned, having that many miles - which DO and WILL SOON more depreciate, it’s better to get them into the hard of folks who will manage down the balance practicably
I agree with the last comment, but that will be Dad/Mom's estate planning choice. I'll express my interest

In either case, it's probably 4 business class round trips to Europe that will eat it up. They are only 69.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123
I agree with the last comment, but that will be Dad/Mom's estate planning choice. I'll express my interest

In either case, it's probably 4 business class round trips to Europe that will eat it up. They are only 69.
I thought you said it was 1-2 million miles, that should be a lot more than 4 C tickets from USA to Europe… but then again, “1-2 million” is a pretty big range.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 8:36 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Any recent data points on transfers? I read the whole thread: apparently the fee used to be $75 and then $150, but in 2021 and 2022 there were data points that the fee was now $0.

I saw a post mentioning and affidavit that has to be notarized. I saw an older post about having to prove executor status or something similar. This is where there may be complications as there is a will but probate was never opened because there were no assets to have to open probate.

The person to whom the miles would be transferred is listed as the reporting person on the death certificate.

I'm kinda thinking maybe the option of burning some of the miles first might be advisable and maybe try the transfer with the odd remaining miles afterwards? Many seem to prefer the option of just using the miles if one has access to the account still.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
The process has changed over time. My Post # 176 after the death of my younger son, concerning no fee and the notarization requirement, supersedes earlier provisions and remains accurate two years later.

My son had no assets to probate. I was listed on the death certificate, and signed his final tax return, but there was no problem whatsoever transferring his miles to my wife at her request.

By pretending the decedent is still alive, you are creating potential issues.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
Any recent data points on transfers? I read the whole thread: apparently the fee used to be $75 and then $150, but in 2021 and 2022 there were data points that the fee was now $0.

I saw a post mentioning and affidavit that has to be notarized. I saw an older post about having to prove executor status or something similar. This is where there may be complications as there is a will but probate was never opened because there were no assets to have to open probate.

The person to whom the miles would be transferred is listed as the reporting person on the death certificate.

I'm kinda thinking maybe the option of burning some of the miles first might be advisable and maybe try the transfer with the odd remaining miles afterwards? Many seem to prefer the option of just using the miles if one has access to the account still.
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
The process has changed over time. My Post # 176 after the death of my younger son, concerning no fee and the notarization requirement, supersedes earlier provisions and remains accurate two years later.

My son had no assets to probate. I was listed on the death certificate, and signed his final tax return, but there was no problem whatsoever transferring his miles to my wife at her request.

By pretending the decedent is still alive, you are creating potential issues.
If you are going to be providing a copy of the death certificate to Mileage Plus there is the possibility they question why the deceased account's had activity after his/her passing. I doubt UA will give you any trouble with any reasonable request up front. You could ask a friend to call MP on your behalf and ask without identifying yourself if you want confirmation. Sorry for your loss.
SPN Lifer and rhwbullhead like this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 2:54 am

Thank you for the responses. The quotes lead me to read the replies again from 176 onward.

When I read through the thread initially, i read the post below wrong and I thought we might need those documents but now I see that they are not required anyway. When I have time this week, I'll reach out to UA and get the form.

Having dealt with notarizing stuff before, Chase and BOA will do them for free if one is a customer. I also know that the person notarizing has told me they just verify I signed the documents. I had something where I had documents to prove I was authorized to do stuff that I was signing for and I was told that they verify that, just my signature.

I'll report back what happens with our situation. I'd prefer to just have the miles transferred rather than booking tickets with the account. We would be doing it properly by transferring, we can maybe open up award availability with either status or the credit card in the future, and it would be easier it too off with miles from URs if necessary.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

​​​​​​
Originally Posted by nmenaker
UA MP has an affidavit form that needs to be filled out, notarized and sent in with a transfer form of the target accounts for the miles, and of course a certificate of death as well needs to be included. Other than having the affidavit form notarized (wells or other banks usually will do this type for free and quickly) it’s a pretty easy process and then they get uploaded to a UAMP email and it clears/transfers fairly quickly.

Some accounts will also ask for say a copy of the cover page of the will, maybe a screenshot of the will or trust that says “any mileage or points account, etc.” but UA MP doesn't’ need those types of additional supporting documents.
uanj likes this.
Old Jul 23, 2023, 1:30 pm

Thank you for the responses. The quotes lead me to read the replies again from 176 onward.

When I read through the thread initially, i read the post below wrong and I thought we might need those documents but now I see that they are not required anyway. When I have time this week, I'll reach out to UA and get the form.

Having dealt with notarizing stuff before, Chase and BOA will do them for free if one is a customer. I also know that the person notarizing has told me they just verify I signed the documents. I had something where I had documents to prove I was authorized to do stuff that I was signing for and I was told that they verify that, just my signature.

I'll report back what happens with our situation. I'd prefer to just have the miles transferred rather than booking tickets with the account. We would be doing it properly by transferring, we can maybe open up award availability with either status or the credit card in the future, and it would be easier it too off with miles from URs if necessary.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

​​​​​​
I think you’re best doing the transfer, rather than trying to use them at all.

that quote in your post is mine, and I probably could have better qualified it by saying “some OTHER AIRLINE FREQUENT FLYER programs/accounts”, which was in comparison to UA MP as referenced in the top paragraph. UA MP at least the last time I did it did NOT require a death cert or other documents if I recall, but only required THEIR affidavit, which basically indemnifies them to future claims by potentially other parties.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 4:41 pm

Small update. I went on the app and did an online chat. They wouldn't send me the affidavit and release form until I gave them the deceased mileage plus info. First, I confirmed that there were still no fees and after that was confirmed, I gave the info. They sent me the release form The main parts of the form basically ask that you declare that you are :

the courtordered executor, administrator or trustee of the estate (the “Estate”) of the deceased individual listed on the Death Certificate attached as Exhibit A (the “Decedent”) or am otherwise authorized to act on behalf of the Decedent or the Decedent’s Estate (“Authorized Person”)

The next section asks you for the Name of the decedent, the Mileage Plus number, the miles in the account and the amount of TravelBank Cash in the account. The it asks for the name of the recipient, Mileage Plus number, and the amount of Miles and TravelBank cash to be transferred, (and says you can use extra sheets if you have additional accounts for transfer). It also asks for the expiration date of TravelBank Cash to be transferred.

** Note: TravelBank Cash transferred shall retain the expiration date noted in the Decedent's Account. If the the Authorized Person does not indicate the expiration date of the TravelBank Cash to be transferred then United may, in its sole discretion, determine from which tranche of TravelBank Cash the transfer should be made.

Next section is just legal statements that they are not responsible for any "discrepancy between the Authorized Person's Instructions.. and instructions in the Decedent's Will," The miles and TravelBank cash are subject to their rules, and you basically agree to indemnify United.

As others indicated, you have to have the form notarized and attach a death certificate.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and uanj like this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I also know that the person notarizing has told me they just verify I signed the documents.
It's a bit more than that. They are verifying that you are who you claim to be.
roberto99 and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jul 24, 2023, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
It's a bit more than that. They are verifying that you are who you claim to be.
Yeah, the notary checks ID to verify that I am signing as the ID states, but they wouldn't look at say the trust documents b/c they said it wasn't in their power to verify documents like that. I think in this example, I'm the one who will verify that I have the power to claim the miles and the notary will check my ID like in the past, and verify that I signed the documents as my name on the ID but they aren't verifying that I showed them documents showing that I have the power I'm stating in the document.
Old Jul 25, 2023, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
To make it appear less self-interested, we had one survivor transfer the decedent's miles to another survivor, rather than to him/herself.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:02 pm

I uploaded to the link they gave me which was just a link to the customer service message area on the website. The message page allows for only 3 attachments that are supposed to be less than 1MB. Taking pictures with phone created 5MB pics and my old scanner created them just under 2MB.

​​​​​​I attached the death certificate, page 1 (where you input mileage number, etc), and the notarized signature page,

That was Thursday evening. This morning I get an email telling me to upload the docs to that same link or attach to the email. Attaching is less safe but I just did it. Hopefully they will transfer the miles over in a few days now. I'm expecting this won't be like the Chase insurance claims where they keep asking you to send the same documents over and over again.

I'll update when the miles post in a few days, which I expect should happen.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 1:15 pm

I uploaded to the link they gave me which was just a link to the customer service message area on the website. The message page allows for only 3 attachments that are supposed to be less than 1MB. Taking pictures with phone created 5MB pics and my old scanner created them just under 2MB.

​​​​​​I attached the death certificate, page 1 (where you input mileage number, etc), and the notarized signature page,

That was Thursday evening. This morning I get an email telling me to upload the docs to that same link or attach to the email. Attaching is less safe but I just did it. Hopefully they will transfer the miles over in a few days now. I'm expecting this won't be like the Chase insurance claims where they keep asking you to send the same documents over and over again.

I'll update when the miles post in a few days, which I expect should happen.
Had the same issue.. I brought them up on the computer (a mac in this case) and just did a screenshot of the image, which was a PNG file and much smaller.. Also, if you have an iphone you can EMAIL them to you, which pops the "image resize" modal box in ios, and select the lowest resolution. It is pretty funny how in todays world where an iphone takes EASILY 5MB-50MB photos, uploads and attachments seem to still be back in 2010

Last edited by nmenaker; Jul 29, 2023 at 3:51 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.