Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

All the new connection choices SFO-CDG- any good?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 9:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

Trying to be positive post merger, there are lots more choices from SFO to CDG now (so you'd think they'd bring back SFO-CDG - since they have so many routings now...but NO!)

Anyway, I had my habits and thoughts about ORD vs. FRA vs, IAD connections on good old UA. I don't know all the new choices - and wondering if others have comments regarding aircraft, connections, upgrade chances, especially through EWR or IAH. Merci!
Old May 14, 2012, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I'd still recommend SFO>FRA and FRA>CDG

I've never had a FRA/CDG delay/issue, and generally SFO/FRA always goes on time without issues. Except once when FRA>SFO was cancelled

Any other SFO>USA and you risk delay out of SFO/etc., and then your TATL takes off without you. So I prefer to do TATL first!

Happy travels
Michael
Old May 14, 2012, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I strongly prefer one long and one short flight, rather than two mid-length flights, so I too would recommend SFO-FRA-CDG. Also, the later flight out of SFO gives at least the chance of sleep overnight.
Old May 14, 2012, 9:26 am

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
sfo-cdg

I do this route 5-6 times a year. Before the merger, I generally went sfo-iad-cdg, since I usually have luggage, and I've never been able to figure out what I'm allowed if I return cdg-fra-sfo(been asking for years). Since the 757's got put on this route, I'm flying sfo-ord-cdg, to avoid the Gander refueling issue and the 18 business/first upgrade problem.I'm not crazy about the terminal change at ORD, but I didn't much like the 45 gate run at IAD, either. However. . . this year, with mechanicals, delays, and upgrades not clearing, it's pretty much a crap shoot.
They've put the bigger planes back in for the iad-cdg leg, but I don't trust them to keep it that way and there's nothing you can do or complain about, if there's an equipment change. I haven't booked anything past August, and I have done both the AirFrance and AA status matches. I'm just waiting to see what happens next.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
You didn't say what class you were traveling in.

SFO-IAD-CDG works fairly well on the outbound because the connections are decent, you can get E+ all the way (even on the CO 757) which I'll be honest, I don't really mind. I also find IAD connections more tolerable than EWR connections. Maybe its just me. Otherwise, I agree with a previous poster that FRA is a great choice.

If you are open to other *A carriers, noting the lack of E+ and lifetime UA miles, CDG-YYZ/YUL-SFO is a good routing and you get the advantage of clearing US CBP in Canada rather than the zoo that is IAD and EWR. Alternatively, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is SFO-MUC-CDG. I really like the late night departure from SFO, so you can actually sleep, and MUC is a joy of an airport to transit.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by noah
If you are open to other *A carriers, noting the lack of E+ and lifetime UA miles, CDG-YYZ/YUL-SFO is a good routing and you get the advantage of clearing US CBP in Canada rather than the zoo that is IAD and EWR.
YYZ isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Alternatively, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is SFO-MUC-CDG. I really like the late night departure from SFO, so you can actually sleep, and MUC is a joy of an airport to transit.
There's also SFO-ZRH-CDG, but MUC is definitely easier to deal with. But if this is a business class ticket, LX C is better than LH C.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:36 pm

Programs: United: Gold, HHonors: Gold, Marriott: Gold, AA, US, AGR
I really wish they would bring back UA 960/961 that did SFO-CDG non-stop. I prefer not to transit through any of the US hubs, especially on the way back when it requires rechecking bags at the first US port of entry (and a terminal change if going through ORD). FRA I've found to always be a good option since they cut the SFO-CDG non-stop.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
You didn't say what class you were traveling in.

SFO-IAD-CDG works fairly well on the outbound because the connections are decent, you can get E+ all the way (even on the CO 757) which I'll be honest, I don't really mind. I also find IAD connections more tolerable than EWR connections. Maybe its just me. Otherwise, I agree with a previous poster that FRA is a great choice.

If you are open to other *A carriers, noting the lack of E+ and lifetime UA miles, CDG-YYZ/YUL-SFO is a good routing and you get the advantage of clearing US CBP in Canada rather than the zoo that is IAD and EWR. Alternatively, one thing that hasn't been mentioned is SFO-MUC-CDG. I really like the late night departure from SFO, so you can actually sleep, and MUC is a joy of an airport to transit.
This winter IIRC you'll have two choices from IAD and EWR to CDG. IAD will be back to a 763 and EWR a 764. Clearly the 763 in J or F is a no brainer over the 764 with recliner seats and no AVOD
Old May 14, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MM1K,AA EXP
RE:CDG

For Noah's questions. I save my SWU's(or whatever they're called now) for these connects, so I'm usually in NC or Z and sometimes in NF. When 925-926
and and the Paris domicile disappeared, I switched to the IAD connect. I'm not crazy about the domestic leg arriving/departing around D26 and the TATL
leg going out around C7---it's a fair hike. These are work trips for me, and I'm probably older than you are, so I'm not inclined to want to do 14 1/2 hours in E+. I also prefer getting some sleep and getting into Paris early, or very early, so that I don't lose the the whole first day with jet-lag and traffic into the city. Of the German connects, I like FRA the best; but since I usually have 2(and sometimes 3 checked bags), I put up with Chirac tax leaving CDG, so that I don't have to fight with LH over the baggae allotment---if anyone could find how much I'm allowed doing CDG-LH-SFO IN WRITING, I would probably try that next, since those are always bigger planes.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by channa

There's also SFO-ZRH-CDG, but MUC is definitely easier to deal with. But if this is a business class ticket, LX C is better than LH C.
except if LH is flying its A-380.

Ive flown LX C and LH C on its 330s/340s and its 380.The 380 has the bed seats much as LX does. Also FRA SEN lounge beats the day lights out of the lounge at MUC and ZRH,imo

if its not the LH 380 then I agree LX
Old May 14, 2012, 4:23 pm

Programs: AA ExP
I generally prefer the TATL segment as there's generally more fall back options.

That said I don't like FRA as the walks get long. MUC is great but there's more SFO->FRA flights in the summer. Coming back I'll go via IAD or ORD depending on connections. A couple of years ago our CDG-IAD when MX and got two routing choices CDG-FRA-SFO or CDG-ORD-SFO the FRA routed had a 30min connection which I never would've made and would have been stuck for awhile in FRA. ZRH routings seem to be a bit pricer than the FRA/MUC options.

On international multi-leg flights I always recommend looking up back up connections, unfortunately I'm not too familiar with SFO-CDG routes/times.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K [ex-GS],1+MM, SPG PLAT
In what class are you flying?

Given a choice, I always will take the longer TATL flight (I love being able to sleep SFO-FRA/ZHR/MUC-SFO) instead of breaking up the trip on the East Coast.
Old May 14, 2012, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by highflier1979
In what class are you flying?

Given a choice, I always will take the longer TATL flight (I love being able to sleep SFO-FRA/ZHR/MUC-SFO) instead of breaking up the trip on the East Coast.
Thanks so far everybody. When I fly UA I fly economy, and look for upgrades. If I am buying J (once every year if I am lucky) I'll take Swiss through ZRH.

So the question is more about UA metal. I like FRA too, but hate Y in the 747 and upgrades are very tough on this route....

Anybody try IAH yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.