Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Still using "ON" booking codes. Thought this had stopped

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

So I booked a 5 day trip to LHR from SFO with spouse over Thanksgiving to do theatre and shopping. (Grandkids all at in-laws). I booked D-fares so as to use my SWU's to elevate to the F cabin. Spent good money ($6K per tkt). Seats and all are worked out, but the booking code shows the dreaded "ON".

Does this mean I will have to call afterward and cajole and plead for the agent to change the travel date, etc., to get the flight to credit on the MP program? Anybody know?

I've been doing this on all reservations made prior to the March 3 meltdown. But the new ones that I've had upgrade on have been booked in "R". I don't mind participating in relentless struggles, but this is getting old, n'est pas? One would think they would stop with the "ON" booking codes.
Old May 13, 2012, 7:26 pm

Biz to first upgrade is correctly ON. http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...he-new-united/
There should be another flag on the PNR to indicate that you should get miles.
Old May 13, 2012, 7:26 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FullFare
.... I booked D-fares so as to use my SWU's to elevate to the F cabin. Spent good money ($6K per tkt). Seats and all are worked out, but the booking code shows the dreaded "ON"......
That is actually correct D to 3-class F upgrade is ON, as is award bookings into 3 class F.

R is the correct code for economy to next class ( Business or Domestic F).
Old May 13, 2012, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
That is actually correct D to 3-class F upgrade is ON, as is award bookings into 3 class F.

R is the correct code for economy to next class ( Business or Domestic F).
I looked at the chart, but it is an "award" chart. I also looked at my PNR and it doesn't talk about "miles". Regardless, I'll just chill and be prepared to call in to squawk if the miles don't appear. Given what's happened this year, I'm keeping my expectations reduced. "ON" wasn't a crowd-pleaser.
Old May 13, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I have a number of C/D to F TPAC upgrades since 3/3. They ALL showed ON and got full biz credit w no problem
Old May 13, 2012, 9:11 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I have a domestic PMUA ticket that shows ON for Y->F. Should I call and get this fixed please?
Old May 13, 2012, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Markie
I have a domestic PMUA ticket that shows ON for Y->F. Should I call and get this fixed please?
The upgrade will likely be fine. Where you're probably going to see trouble is in getting that to credit properly after you fly it.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:30 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Markie
I have the same issue.
Originally Posted by sbm12
The upgrade will likely be fine. Where you're probably going to see trouble is in getting that to credit properly after you fly it.
Is there anything that can be done prior to flying to make sure it credits properly?
Old May 13, 2012, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by FullFare
I looked at the chart, but it is an "award" chart. I also looked at my PNR and it doesn't talk about "miles". Regardless, I'll just chill and be prepared to call in to squawk if the miles don't appear. Given what's happened this year, I'm keeping my expectations reduced. "ON" wasn't a crowd-pleaser.
Scroll down - same code can be used for more than one thing.

Of course keeping expectations low is never a bad idea.

Originally Posted by Pat89339
I have the same issue.

Is there anything that can be done prior to flying to make sure it credits properly?
For domestic Y->upgraded F you should indeed see R or RN. You can call reservations and try to get them to change it - they might, or might tell you to wait for an automatic sweep (or call after the fact).

Last edited by iluv2fly; May 14, 2012 at 2:09 am Reason: merge
Old May 13, 2012, 10:41 pm

Programs: United 1K/GS, AA Gold
As I understand it, the way to get the mileage credit after flying ON (assuming it doesn't clear on its own) is to call and ask the agent to retroactively switch the dates of travel. This can only be done after the flight is completed. This way they can restore your original booking class and credit the miles.

I recently flew SFO-ICN and ICN-SFO in Z, upgraded with miles. I was able to get them to apply this correction with a minimum of fuss (5 minutes total on the phone) and got the miles credited within a few days after. It's still pain, but I think the agents know how to fix it. If the one you get doesn't know how, call back until you get someone who does.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by okrogius
For domestic Y->upgraded F you should indeed see R or RN. You can call reservations and try to get them to change it - they might, or might tell you to wait for an automatic sweep (or call after the fact).
It's the domestic F portion (2-class 777) of an international itinerary upgraded with a SWU prior to 3/3.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:46 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by sbm12
Thanks Seth. Of course when I called, they had no idea this was a problem and as there was no R space, could not change it - sound bite 'we're not allowed to overbook in First Class'

Will wait for credit or not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.