Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendant, Gate or Ticket Agent?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by emanon256
This just reminded me of another huge whopper! It was a video when the merger began when Jeffy said, "There will be a lot of changes in the months ahead, that I think you're going to like."
See my signature.

Another standard lie, though not peculiar to UA: "We have a completely full flight today..." during boarding, with admonition to store your smaller item under the seat, not in the bins. FAs say this regardless of actual load.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by hobo13
'You'll see a number of changes in the months ahead, and I think you'll like them.'
^^^^
Old May 17, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BearX220
See my signature.

Another standard lie, though not peculiar to UA: "We have a completely full flight today..." during boarding, with admonition to store your smaller item under the seat, not in the bins. FAs say this regardless of actual load.
Even if they're not 100% full, it's still accurate in terms of overhead space.

I call that the whitest of lies, for the better good.
Old May 17, 2012, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by BearX220
See my signature.

Considering 90% or more of flights are full, unless there are misconnects, it's not really a lie or a "whopper".

Unless it's an odd desination on an odd day, no matter what the passenger count shows, I always assume full. More often than not, it will end up being full once standbys are cleared.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:46 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by Hachiko
Unless it's an odd desination on an odd day, no matter what the passenger count shows, I always assume full. More often than not, it will end up being full once standbys are cleared.
How true. I've flown ten segments so far this year, all Canada-Canada, Canada-US, US-Canada or US-US, mostly on UA but 3 on AC and one on WS. Eight have been completely full. One had one empty seat (beside me, no less). The other had several empty seats, but was the first time I've seen any empty seats on a flight out of my airport in many months.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA PRO
Biggest Whopper you've heard from a UA Pilot, Flight Attendent, Gate-Ticket Agent?

"Yes, the system shows you are on the upgrade list."
Old May 17, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
From an FA, with whom I was chatting in the F galley on a TPAC:

"Mr. Smisek is a real AIRLINE GUY. He knows what he's doing, and this will be a world-class airline! I'm so glad he's in charge!"

Old May 17, 2012, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
We expect our computer issues to be over within one week.

Said on March 14 by GA at IAH.

I had to look closely to see if she was Jon Lovitz in a dress. She wasn't.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by pharmalady
We expect our computer issues to be over within one week.

Said on March 14 by GA at IAH.

I had to look closely to see if she was Jon Lovitz in a dress. She wasn't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkYNBwCEeH4

Old May 18, 2012, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; CPU OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

This isn't a whopper so much as a wildly inconsistently applied rule, but "shades must be raised at takeoff and landing". It's actually part of the recorded safety briefing on the 170s, along with verbal directions from the attendants (before takeoff) and pilot (during final descent).
Old May 23, 2012, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by weero
"United doesn't serve ORD anymore" (the ZRH station struggling with my autochanged ZRH-IAD-ORD itinerary)
! Must have been one of the contracted Swissport ground staff, as UA has only a couple of its own staff at the airport. Still that agent should know better.
Old May 23, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Gold
When trying to upgrade an LH Y fare on LH metal with United miles:

Agent 1: "I'm sorry, but you can't upgrade on a partner airline with United miles. This is not possible."
Agent 2: "I'm sorry, you can only do that at the airport, you need to give the LH agent your Mileage Plus information."
Agent 3: "I'm sorry, but Y fares are excluded". (???)

Fortunately I hit the jackpot with agent number 4, who was both willing- and knew how to- check on upgrade availability, which is no small victory these days, and I finally got the upgrade confirmed :-)
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
"Channel 9 isn't working because our planes don't have it anymore"
Old Oct 2, 2012, 5:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Originally Posted by YYCOllie
"Channel 9 isn't working because our planes don't have it anymore"
flight # / date? Any chance it was a pmCO plane?
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA G
"Yes, that is the chicken."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.