Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
How to upgrade a partner flight using UA MileagePlus miles:

See UA's Star Alliance Upgrade Awards Page

Key points:
  • Only a few fare classes (and expensive) are eligible -- depends on the carrier (see the UA page)
  • Needs to be native flight numbers, codeshares are not eligible
  • Generally no waitlisting but ANA allows waitlisting
  • Most can be requested after ticketing (NH/ANA & ET cannot be requested earlier than 8 weeks to departure -- still true??) and must be done at least 24 hours prior to departure
  • Max of 4 passengers can be upgraded
  • Generally the available of award space is a good indicator of upgrade space (but not guaranteed) - typically requires (I) inventory
  • Upgrade request can only be made electronically
  • Upgrade requests are per segment
  • It may increase your chance of success to request only one segment at a time on the upgrade page, even though it allows you to enter two (YMMV).
  • For mileage requirements, see Interactive travel destinations awards chart
As a general rule, with exceptions, SAUA need I space (for the partner) to have a chance of clearing.

See this thread for the no-longer-available award chart (disappeared from united.com as of October 2018): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-website.html

Error codes
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 110).
  • "We were unable to complete your request due to a technical problem. In the U.S. and Canada call 1-800-UNITED-1 (1-800-864-8331) within the U.S. or Canada, elsewhere use the local phone number. (Error code: 118)"
  • "The traveler has the same name as an existing traveler on this flight. Please contact the operating airline for the required information and try again. (Error code: 384)"
  • "Upgrade not available (Error code: 511)."
  • "The number of travelers indicated does not match the number of passengers in the reservation. Please correct your information and try again. (Error code: 528)"
  • "insufficient MileagePlus Balance (Error code: 2001)"
Mileage required? Capturing here the last known information, as information is disappearing, no guarantees how long this will be true

For UA operated flights see Using Miles to Upgrade on United

Archive; How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers {Archive}

Print Wikipost

How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
SAUA = Star Alliance Upgrade Award

https://www.staralliance.com/en/redeem
doug_999 and United747 like this.
Old Oct 8, 2023, 2:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Is there yet *A mileage upgrades on LH from PremEcon (LH - G) to Business?
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:09 pm

Using United miles for AI Upgrade

I plan to fly Air India from SFO to BOM with my aged mom and am looking to use my miles for a business class ticket since she wont be able to sit thru the 16 hour flight. I am unable to locate anything on united.com's search (I also have the United Chase credit card). What are my options? Book on Air India economy and then upgrade using United miles? I dont even see that option for advance reservations and tryinfg to upgrade at the airport is going to be risky. I also poked around on expertflyer but find it pretty complicated to use. Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/mil...de-awards.html

Only Y and B class are upgradable. Best to purchase business outright.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Oct 9, 2023, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by supertester
I plan to fly Air India from SFO to BOM with my aged mom and am looking to use my miles for a business class ticket since she wont be able to sit thru the 16 hour flight. I am unable to locate anything on united.com's search (I also have the United Chase credit card). What are my options? Book on Air India economy and then upgrade using United miles? I dont even see that option for advance reservations and tryinfg to upgrade at the airport is going to be risky. I also poked around on expertflyer but find it pretty complicated to use. Thanks in advance.
Only way to guarantee a seat is business class is to buy one.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2023, 8:46 pm

Got the error message today and tried again using MP to upgrade S class on ET from EWR-LFW-EWR.
It worked and confirmed for both flights.
Checked UA system and ET system. Looks fine and was able to get seat assignments.
35,000 miles each way.
marks88 and JimInOhio like this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:30 am

I tried again for ET.
It stays available and asks if I want to confirm 35,000 miles.
I click yes and then I get system error please try again later.

You try again a minute or two later and then it says not available.

Last edited by chuck1; Oct 26, 2023 at 11:44 am
Old Oct 27, 2023, 1:48 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Got rebooked onto a UA codeshare operated by OS into A. I assume that translates to E on OS, which is upgrade eligible. Is the processes for getting rid of the codeshare similar to doing it for LH for PlusPoints? Call in and ask?
Old Oct 27, 2023, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Got rebooked onto a UA codeshare operated by OS into A. I assume that translates to E on OS, which is upgrade eligible. Is the processes for getting rid of the codeshare similar to doing it for LH for PlusPoints? Call in and ask?
yep, same process. Just tell them you want to UG with miles and you need a conversion to the native OS flight #.
SPN Lifer and dinoscool3 like this.
Old Nov 5, 2023, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
I’m looking to fly AC ORD-YYZ-EDI next March booked in premium economy. Does AC offer SAUA upgrades from Premium Econ to Business? If so, how likely are rhe odds?
Old Nov 5, 2023, 7:51 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rflor
I’m looking to fly AC ORD-YYZ-EDI next March booked in premium economy. Does AC offer SAUA upgrades from Premium Econ to Business? If so, how likely are rhe odds?
Just from O, full fare Premium Economy , not for AC's E or A discount PremEcon (UA's A or R)

Many *A carrier will allow the middle prem econ fares but not AC to my recent discovery.
Old Nov 6, 2023, 12:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rflor
Unless something changed recently, Air Canada removed its SAUA portal and is no longer offering these upgrades. This was correct as of September, but I haven't checked since then.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
yep, same process. Just tell them you want to UG with miles and you need a conversion to the native OS flight #.
Well keep on running into a brick wall. I've tried three times, one agents said impossible, one agent said 700 more bucks, and one agent was disconnected. I realized this is even more urgent because OZ has trouble crediting codeshare flights, as I learned when I had an NH codeshare of a UA flight in N and was awarded UA N miles instead of R. I'm in an A fare which should correlate to E but OZ just takes the fare code at face value, not sure what they'd do when OS A doesn't even exist! Now I'm hitting myself for not saying anything about the codeshare when I was rebooked onto this flight.

They keep on contacting the rates desk...is there someone else I should try to get them to contact? I know web help desk was mentioned once in the LH thread, but I don't know how that would help.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dinoscool3
Well keep on running into a brick wall. I've tried three times, one agents said impossible, one agent said 700 more bucks, and one agent was disconnected. I realized this is even more urgent because OZ has trouble crediting codeshare flights, as I learned when I had an NH codeshare of a UA flight in N and was awarded UA N miles instead of R. I'm in an A fare which should correlate to E but OZ just takes the fare code at face value, not sure what they'd do when OS A doesn't even exist! Now I'm hitting myself for not saying anything about the codeshare when I was rebooked onto this flight.

They keep on contacting the rates desk...is there someone else I should try to get them to contact? I know web help desk was mentioned once in the LH thread, but I don't know how that would help.
no rate desk. Should work for LH group flights ... have done it for LX. Did you ask for a 'flight number conversion'?

On a 016 ticket there is no issue w/ codeshares since everything credits base don $$$ anyway
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2023, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
no rate desk. Should work for LH group flights ... have done it for LX. Did you ask for a 'flight number conversion'?

On a 016 ticket there is no issue w/ codeshares since everything credits base don $$$ anyway
I'll push harder next time they ask about the rate desk, I specifically said "change the flight number from UA codeshare to OS native," but I'll try flight number conversion instead. Ever since getting Gold I've been going back and forth between outstanding agents and terrible agents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.