Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 1:52 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by 1KPath
AA realizes that reorganization will create changes...but the one thing that will remain constant is the focus on customer service...no long phone waits, treating all customers with respect and offering elites value and special treatment.
Yeah sure until it becomes USdbaAA with the fab LCC ticker symbol.. and that "suit" along with his compadres in Fort Worth are gone and all decisions are being made from Phoenix.. it'll be so great! $2 sodas in economy are sure to return...

Last edited by SEA1K4EVR; Jul 19, 2012 at 1:58 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Yesterday I flew on AA from BOS-LAX...the flight was delayed because of weather but we managed to arrive about two and half hours late (is this the new "on time"?) I was upgraded to F at the last moment and seated next to a senior AA "suit". For the next five hours, we had the most fascinating conversation...mostly about the UA situation!
<snip>
Wow!...a senior airline exec that appears to be concerned with the customer...who would have thought! UA, you had better wake-up!
Thanks for posting this. Interesting conversation and very refreshing to hear this type of message. Quite different than the new UA experience.

I decided not to pursue the EXP status match due to 100,000 miles flown + booked on UA for 2012. There was no way I could also hit the requirements to continue EXP status. But this only reinforces the idea that I will look to status match for 2013 travel.

I may arrive late to the pAArty, but I will enjoy once I am there....
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:24 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... In addition, it recognizes the importance of wifi and E+...he indicated that AA made a poor decision in this matter and will try to remedy it as soon as possible! ...
The day AA replaces the defunct MRTC with a decent E+ product will be the day I status match. E+ is the ONLY thing keeping me on this disaster of an airline.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
The day AA replaces the defunct MRTC with a decent E+ product will be the day I status match. E+ is the ONLY thing keeping me on this disaster of an airline.
They're adding MCE (Main Cabin Extra) to the fleet.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp
Old Jul 19, 2012, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DrGiggles
i) do others have the view that UA has more flight options per day to most destinations out of NYC airports? this seems to be my initial impression.
UA has a much broader network than AA. However, AA does have a very/pretty good schedule to a handful of destinations - ORD, MIA, LAX, SFO, DFW, LHR, ATL, YYZ. Okay coverage to continental Europe, but not as broad as UA/DL. Good coverage to deep S Amer with nonstops to GRU/GIG/EZE. Little to Asia - only Tokyo.

ii) is there a strong preference for hard product UA vs. AA (in particular in premium cabins)
Domestically, not too much difference at the end of the day. But sounds like UA going downhill faster. Lots of things to split hairs over like meal windows and predeparture beverages and IFE/connectivity. Internationally a mixed bag. AA's hard product is a relatively consistent slightly-angled flat bed. UA varies from very good full flat (most pmCO) to decent full flat (pmUA) to pretty bad old-style recliners (some pmCO 767 and pmUA 777).

iiia) is UA vs. AA FF program superior vis-a-vie mileage redemptions
I think UA is better. More carriers (better availability) and more flexible routings. I think you can still do a stopover at your destination region on UA if you redeem round-trip. I can think of a few examples where the redemption chart is better for UA too, like US-South Africa awards. There might be awards where AA is cheaper, I'm not sure. More difficult to avoid surcharges on AA if traveling to/via Europe. OTOH J->F upgrades are very easy on AA as the upgrade bucket is also used for revenue tickets.
iiib) if one's practice is to accumulate miles on domestic carriers but use primarily for upgrading on partner airlines for personal int'l flights, is there a large difference b/w oneworld and star alliance?
Star gives you a lot more options (most partners) but its not cheap and requires expensive fares. AA works on BA and IB but also not cheap, and I think there are restrictions on how you have to purchase your tickets. Really, neither are great for personal flight upgrades on partners because of the fare class restrictions.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
I felt the same way you did when our organization left UA last December...but to be completely honest, I have not had a non-exit row seat yet when I wasn't upgraded in seven months of flying...and I have been upgraded 85% of the time!! When I have been in Y I have received free snacks and sandwiches as well as any number of comp adult beverages. The change, at least for me, has been a good one...and I say this with nearly 80K under my belt this year on AA! I have only had about a 40% upgrade success on my 20K on UA this year and a lot of unnecessary drama!...As FriendlySkies indicated, AA is introducing their version of E+! It seems that AA is willing to learn from their mistakes...can we say this about the "new" UA?

I say all of this with a heavy heart...after of nearly 40 years of loyalty to UA...family members pilots still flying with UA...and lifetime(?) status...I am afraid to say that the grass is greener on the AA side (at least today!)
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
AA CS and RES is talking to over 200 former UA customers per day and the message they are receiving about the "new" UA is uniformly negative
Had they simply ASKED, they would have learned that the "new UA" is really the "old CO". Might have saved them the trouble.

He indicated that AA recognizes how important the VFF is to the airline's bottom line and will make every effort to maintain and improve customer service.
Interesting. If he'd listen to UA's CFO, he might have a different opinion. OOPS: That would be the "newUA"s CFO.

Wow!...a senior airline exec that appears to be concerned with the customer...who would have thought!
Nicely said! ^
The idea that a company should be customer centric was universal until the advent of "fortress hubs" - wherein a company / airline would abuse their frequent flyer public B/C they had no alternative.

I suspect that the effort to implement this business strategy to the world's largest air carrier will fail. Please don't ask the CO FanBoys to comment.

Dave
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:41 pm

Thank you for your post. Interesting information.

AA will modify its route structure to accommodate FFs...and is using surveys with former UA elites and AA's own elites to determine where its schedule needs to be improved. In addition, it recognizes the importance of wifi and E+...he indicated that AA made a poor decision in this matter and will try to remedy it as soon as possible!
I'll believe this when I see one, just one, new flight out of SFO...

When the AA Executive Office called me earlier this week, they even acknowledged that SFO is a 'UA stronghold'... But that they would still do what they could to earn my business.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:57 pm

If that's the only reason you are with UA, then the next time they take you out of your confirmed E+ aisle or window seat and throw you into E- middle (see Random Seat Changes thread), you might decide to accelerate the switch.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by LarkSFO

When the AA Executive Office called me earlier this week, they even acknowledged that SFO is a 'UA stronghold'... But that they would still do what they could to earn my business.
Interesting that you bring SFO up...it is the one city he mentioned that they were looking at for some expansion!...I too will believe it when I see it

Originally Posted by bseller
Please don't ask the CO FanBoys to comment.
Dave
I actually asked him if they were getting many status comp requests from the Houston area...he said that it was proportional with other cities...and that they were looking into expanding in Texas...and he was not meaning Dallas!

Since AA is in reorganization, they might be able to do things not available to them in normal circumstances. I sense AA is smelling blood...UA/COs blood! Only time will tell.

Last edited by 1KPath; Jul 19, 2012 at 4:26 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:16 pm

Interesting that you bring SFO up...it is the one city he mentioned that they were looking at for some expansion!...I too will believe it when I see it
I had the same conversation with them this week, I'm also out of SFO.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:32 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
If AA wants to take UA on at SFO, maybe they'll consider bringing back SFO-HNL and SFO-BOS as starters. Not sure they'd do SFO-IAD as they're closing the Admiral's Club at IAD and it's not a route they've flown before. See enough flyers doing SFO-IAD with a DFW connection, though, might be just what AA needs to reopen that Club and start the new route.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Thank you for your post. Interesting information.

Just out of curiosity, what routes do you take on UA that would be inconvenient out of AA out of the Bay Area?

I find that most of my destinations I have to connect anyway ..

A lot of those hesitant to switch from UA to AA complain about the Bay Area. I used to be one of those people when AA was making some cuts. Since then, though, planes have been upgauged out of SFO.

In my view SFO's O&D outside of hub-hub traffic domestically is pretty light. Destinations like MSP and MSY and STL only have 1 frequency per day (though STL-SFO has 2 on Sunday, but not SFO-STL--weirdly), and a lot of them are at inconvenient times

Originally Posted by tom911
If AA wants to take UA on at SFO, maybe they'll consider bringing back SFO-HNL and SFO-BOS as starters. Not sure they'd do SFO-IAD as they're closing the Admiral's Club at IAD and it's not a route they've flown before. See enough flyers doing SFO-IAD with a DFW connection, though, might be just what AA needs to reopen that Club and start the new route.
Whenever I go to DC, I am not one who drives a car so IAD is extremely inconvenient for me. Going in the winter and having to deal with the bus+metro, it literally took me longer than if I were to fly into BWI. Instead of that hassle, I'd rather fly into DCA.

SFO has one frequency a day to DCA that was recently added, but as I had said in the post above, it's not designed for O&D and mostly for connectors. It gets you in at 9 pm -- I'd rather take an early morning flight and get to DC in the afternoon.

That's why when I was flying AA I felt UA would offer much more out of SFO, but with my destinations they rarely do. The only direct flights that are convenient for me are MSP and STL (and with one frequency a day and very low capacity, prices are not cheap--often the connectors cost less than the direct)

Last edited by demkr; Jul 19, 2012 at 4:41 pm
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
I used to be one of those people when AA was making some cuts.
Understatement of the Epoch.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by demkr
Just out of curiosity, what routes do you take on UA that would be inconvenient out of AA out of the Bay Area?
Yes, it is route/destination dependent.

Without including Alaska Airlines, here are my only AA destinations from SFO: Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, Los Angeles, Miami, New York-JFK

I have flown to all of these places in the past year, mostly on UA, and also:

Portland, Seattle, Phoenix, Las Vegas, Boston, Austin (hate the small jet on this route), Hong Kong, Seoul, Sydney (), Honolulu, Houston, Newark, Salt Lake City, Denver, Orlando, Wash DC / Dulles, Albuquerque, and probably a few others I can't recall off the top of my head.

Yes, Minneapolis, Albany, Hartford, Grand Cayman all flights that require a connection (there is one direct daily to MSP on UA, but more options connecting through DEN or ORD). So, for these destinations any airline that flys there would do.

If the majority of my flying is already on UA though, it makes sense for me to do the connecting flights on UA too to achieve status. (I don't fly enough to achieve meaningful status on more than one airline.)

What destinations do you fly to that require a connection on UA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.