Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA versus AA...Observations and things to consider before leaving/joining

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Amex Plat
1st AA experience

Typing this from the Flagship Lounge at JFK. First time at this airport and on AA since 2002. T8 in really nice, despite the lack or airside train, which made me go landside to have lunch at The Palm at T4.

The AC itself is not bad either and the CSRs are very nice and a lot more energetic than what I'm used to at UCs. When I checked in the AC, I didn't ask about the Flagship Lounge, because I wanted to check the regular AC first. So, after a few minutes, when I went back to ask about access to the FL, the CSR was really concerned about the fact that the first agent to whom I talked hadn't directed me there.

I'm also still in shock of how many times - no less than 5 - I was enthusiastically thanked for my business as an EXP on an Eagle flight to get here. I was the first passenger to be asked what I wanted to drink and then offered free snacks and booze (all declined). Service for other passengers was also noticeably superior to what I see on UAX with refills being offered throughout the flight.

In contrast, I've never been acknowledged as a GS on COdbaUA.

On a curious note: the double chime for use of approved electronic devices - followed by F/A announcement - sounded 30s after wheels-up, not at 10kft as UA does. Is this normal?

The only minor downside so far is that my flight to GIG is delayed by 3 hours.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Better partner reciprocity with oneworld

As a BA Gold (OW Emerald), I have noticed better partner reciprocity with oneworld than*A. Very often, benefits that a carrier's own emerald members benefit from (eg arrivals lounge access) apply to all OW emeralds. When I fly CX, the pursers actually come by and thank me for my business, even when I am in Y. Or when I call AA, I get transferred to their EXP line.

There are some exceptions (on CX, non CX emeralds have same priority as CX sapphires for upgrades, and AA only does domestic upgrades for its own elites).

But way better than *A.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 5:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
I'm also still in shock of how many times - no less than 5 - I was enthusiastically thanked for my business as an EXP on an Eagle flight to get here. I was the first passenger to be asked what I wanted to drink and then offered free snacks and booze (all declined). Service for other passengers was also noticeably superior to what I see on UAX with refills being offered throughout the flight.
This is normal.

Originally Posted by ULMFlyer
On a curious note: the double chime for use of approved electronic devices - followed by F/A announcement - sounded 30s after wheels-up, not at 10kft as UA does. Is this normal?
Not normal, IME.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:15 am

I don't mind the F seats in the 80s either, especially since there are so many of them, thus increasing upgrade chances. In any event, the 80s are a shrinking part of the fleet. And I actually like the 738 F seats quite a bit. The way they slide forward in recline means you don't have the problem of the person in front of you reclining way into your space.

To me, the two key benefits of AA vs. UA are:

Current: Free drink and snack even in Main Cabin on AA.
Current: More FC seats on AA S80's and 737's versus UA A320's but not necessarily former CO 737's. Thus higher chance of getting an upgrade.
Current: Most AA mainline planes have inflight wifi. and UA has nothing.
Current: AA for 50k mi/yr+ flyers a 100% bonus versus only 50%-100% on UA depending on tier.
Future: Matches to UA in extra legroom economy beginning end of this year and on new 737's on AA.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:31 pm

Keep leaving people.

For the first time in forever my Int'l upgrades are clearing on UA at time of booking. Booked a SFO-SYD and a SFO-LHR yesterday and boom - upgrade confirmed. Previously either they never cleared or they cleared right before departure.

Meanwhile my domestic AA upgrades are not clearing anymore out of SJC or SFO.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 9:35 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, UA 1k/1mm+, National EE, IC Plat, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by sdix
Keep leaving people.

For the first time in forever my Int'l upgrades are clearing on UA at time of booking. Booked a SFO-SYD and a SFO-LHR yesterday and boom - upgrade confirmed. Previously either they never cleared or they cleared right before departure.

This is what I have been thinking...SFO AA FFs will get hammered on upgrade rates because of the DEQM promos and the flood of 1ks switching.

Equally, I think there are tons of 1ks switching, so I am not surprised that GPUs might be easier to clear out of SFO...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 10:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by sdix
How far out are you booking?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 3:54 am

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by AAExPlat
This is what I have been thinking...SFO AA FFs will get hammered on upgrade rates because of the DEQM promos and the flood of 1ks switching.

Equally, I think there are tons of 1ks switching, so I am not surprised that GPUs might be easier to clear out of SFO...
Will be interesting to see if your are correct that "tons" of 1ks are switching. Posters on this forum suggesting that are usually countered that this is not the case, they don't have the data, only United has the data, let's stay in our gingerbread house until United tells us that the house has been eaten away by pests.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by UnitedEF
I was just on a breakfast flight myself on AA and I have to say the cheese omelet was actually edible compared to the chive and eggs that I had on my last UA meal bleh! The potatoes were cooked all the way unlike UA potatoes.

This was on a PHL-DFW midcon. Omelet was surprisingly good, not rubbery or overcooked as I've found the UA eggs to be in the past.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat
Keep leaving people.

Could easily be because UA is fixing some of their issues (with TODs and such as well).
Old Jun 7, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver
To me, the two key benefits of AA vs. UA are:

Current: Free drink and snack even in Main Cabin on AA.
Current: More FC seats on AA S80's and 737's versus UA A320's but not necessarily former CO 737's. Thus higher chance of getting an upgrade.
Current: Most AA mainline planes have inflight wifi. and UA has nothing.
Current: AA for 50k mi/yr+ flyers a 100% bonus versus only 50%-100% on UA depending on tier.
Future: Matches to UA in extra legroom economy beginning end of this year and on new 737's on AA.
-Free drink and snack on main cabin? AA gives a free ALCOHOLIC drink on domestic Y???
-More FC seats? On some domestic flights, not all. As you point out that's not really true when you take all the CO 737s into account
-WiFi. Can't argue with that. I used it the other day in EK from JFK-DXB and it DOES make a difference
-AA 50K a year flyers get 100%. That has nothing to do with EXPLAT and 1K
-Extra Leg Room. It's going to take AA YEARS to get that in all domestic and Int flights. UA was 100%. Now w the CO fleet they still have a great start.
----Not to mention that while AA upgrades in int might be usable on all fares, I'm not interested in a C seat that's not lie flat. Right now, AA has NO lie flat seats in C. 10 777s won't make a dent. It's going to take YEARS to get that done
----Not to mention you can't access lounges w OW on tkts to MEX or CANADA
There is a lot missing in your comparisons

IMO - Both airlines have there positives and negatives. Is one better then the other? WRONG QUESTION!! Question should be WHICH ONE IS WORSE? Since IMHO neither airline has much to brag about?......I'm just going to stuck w the devil I know for now

Originally Posted by oopsz

This was on a PHL-DFW midcon. Omelet was surprisingly good, not rubbery or overcooked as I've found the UA eggs to be in the past.
Nice picture. Better then UAs breakfast flights? YES, SURE LOOKS LIKE IT. Does it look like something I would really want to eat? NO, NOT AT ALL

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
-Free drink and snack on main cabin? AA gives a free ALCOHOLIC drink on domestic Y???
Yes, to EXP.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:28 pm
Used to be MJ-bos

Programs: AA ExecPlat, COdbaUA 1P & 2MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, IHG Gold, Avis 1st
Yes... and snack box/food as well. I didn't even need to show my Exp card- I was greeted by the FA _before_ she started her cart service, thanked for my business, and asked what I'd like - drinks, food ... anything, complimentary.

Better wine than UA has in coach, but I will say the Tapas box is still my fave. Way too many carbs, I know, but oh I love the olives so...

When is the last time a UA FA (domestic) ever ID'd your status, much less name, when flying in main cabin? These are the little details that really add up to "great experience"

Nice picture. Better then UAs breakfast flights? YES, SURE LOOKS LIKE IT. Does it look like something I would really want to eat? NO, NOT AT ALL
The cheese sauce is quite nice, and the potatoes are spiced just right. Scones vs. croissant are my only complaint.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jun 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm Reason: merge
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by gegarrenton
Yes, to EXP.
Oh. That is a nice touch. I though you were saying EVERYONE in Y gets a free drink which I knew was not the case. Didn't know about the deal for EXPLATS. hmmmmm. I said it would take a hell of a lot more then a EXPLAT match to get me to move from UA to AA But A MATCH WITH A DRINK!! NOW THAT COULD BE A DIFFERENT STORY
Old Jun 7, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by MJ-bos
When is the last time a UA FA (domestic) ever ID'd your status, much less name, when flying in main cabin? These are the little details that really add up to "great experience"
Well unless you know the United FA personally there is no way for them to know your status when you are sitting in the main cabin since 3/3. Status isn't on the manifest for economy pax anymore. I agree this does not optimize the possibility for a great experience when flying United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.