Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Can I Please Have My Old Mileage Plus Number Back?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.

I absolutely hate both my and the wife's new mileage numbers. They are hopelessly bad and difficult to memorize. There isn't one repeat letter or number, both are something like QKH536172, what is that? Every time I call they ask for the number and the voice recognition system is so sensitive even with the right info, let alone with these awful new numbers. At least with the old ones you could enter them on your keypad, now with the introduction of letters this isn't possible anymore.

Was this change really necessary? Couldn't they grandfather everyone over and give the lousy new numbers to new members?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by ORDSteve
I absolutely hate both my and the wife's new mileage numbers. They are hopelessly bad and difficult to memorize. There isn't one repeat letter or number, both are something like QKH536172, what is that? Every time I call they ask for the number and the voice recognition system is so sensitive even with the right info, let alone with these awful new numbers. At least with the old ones you could enter them on your keypad, now with the introduction of letters this isn't possible anymore.

Was this change really necessary? Couldn't they grandfather everyone over and give the lousy new numbers to new members?
That number is really not difficult to remember. I'd say after to 2 times saying it it would be stuck in my head.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.14 MM ALASKA MVPG
I agree about the letters when you want to key it in on the phone. That said, it didn't take too long to memorize and I never had my wife+kids numbers memorized.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by ORDSteve
At least with the old ones you could enter them on your keypad, now with the introduction of letters this isn't possible anymore.
You can enter the numbers using the keypad and it works just fine. Just use the number that corresponds with the letters.. I do it all the time instead of speaking my number. I don't have a Q or Z in mine.. but I imagine you can use the number 1 for those which is pretty typical.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

No, you can not.

You can set up your username on the website to be the old number but that won't help in the real world.

Was the change necessary? No. They could have kludged together a way to keep it. But it wouldn't be worth spending a penny on that verus just about any other invetments of that same money.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:04 pm

Surprise-Surprise-Surprise!!!

On the keys there are lil' letters and there are numbers on (are you ready for this?) the same key ---

Instead of thinking about those 2 letters --- Think and memorize the corresponding numbers & hot damn instead of 2 letters & six numbers you now have 8 numbers to enter to get hooked to the 1K desk (or what ever res you qualify for)!

What won't they think of next???
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
You can set up your username on the website to be the old number but that won't help in the real world.
Didn't even think of that - quite brilliant! ^
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:24 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Previous discussion may be found here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...er-update.html
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I am happy to know I wasn't the only person who thought of that. (I don't find it difficult to remember either number, but it seemed to be a nice change of pace from the usual usernames I pick.)
Old Apr 26, 2012, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Originally Posted by LilAbner

On the keys there are lil' letters and there are numbers on (are you ready for this?) the same key ---

Instead of thinking about those 2 letters --- Think and memorize the corresponding numbers & hot damn instead of 2 letters & six numbers you now have 8 numbers to enter to get hooked to the 1K desk (or what ever res you qualify for)!

Not so useful for all the other times you have to use the FF#, like with partners. Worth noting that most smart phones with keyboards will allow you to type the letter on the keyboard (sometimes with the alt key) and it will push the correct DTMF tone out.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
Originally Posted by LilAbner

NOT on my Blackberry...

You'd think considering PMUA MP+ had the larger number of FFs, COdbaUA would have kept the PMUA MP+ numbers so as to inconvenience the least number of members.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AS MVP, HH Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Phudnik
I am happy to know I wasn't the only person who thought of that. (I don't find it difficult to remember either number, but it seemed to be a nice change of pace from the usual usernames I pick.)
I've done this as well. While it helps me get into my account quickly (and without additional reminders of the aggravations of the switchover), it's not helping me learn my new number. Which might be more important in the long run.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 2:17 pm

It also doesn't help that the MP# is no longer printed on the Chase CC!
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by GottaGoFlying
NOT on my Blackberry...

You'd think considering PMUA MP+ had the larger number of FFs, COdbaUA would have kept the PMUA MP+ numbers so as to inconvenience the least number of members.
On the blackberry you can just type the letters that you want and it will automatically send the correct tone.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 3:21 pm

I had to use a kiosk today since I was flying internationally. I used to use my MP number to pull my reservation. I don't know the new one yet so I tried my passport..no record found. tried my credit card...no record found. Finally got it using my connecting point instead of my destination, but still I was already cutting it close with security queues and I'm not used to failing at check in with United.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.