Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 23, 2018, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
GG FLAT TIRE (as of April 2018)

FLAT TIRE RULE:
CUSTOMERS CONTACTING UNITED WITHIN 30 MINUTES PRIOR TO DEPARTURE OR 2 HOURS AFTER DEPARTURE MAY BE REBOOKED AT NO CHARGE ON UA/UAX FLIGHTS. ALL SEGMENTS OPERATED BY OA SHOULD ONLY BE REBOOKED BY THE OPERATING CARRIER AS THEY MAY BE SUBJECT TO ADDITIONAL FEES
Flat Tire, is this referring literally to a car having a flat tire?
No, "Flat Tire" refers to a situation where one arrives too late to make a flight due to most any reason. If you show up within two hours of the original flight departure, UA generally will try to accommodate you as a low-level priority standby passenger on the next flight with standby space. Note this will only be for UA/UX flights and no guarantees on how soon UA might be able to accommodate the delayed passenger. No reason for the delay is needed (flat tire or not, does not matter).

Years ago, pre-deregulation, this was a formal rule. Nowadays, legacy USA airlines still provide this as a courtesy but they are under no obligation to provide. Note with non-USA airlines there is no such policy and you will mostly be required to purchase a new ticket.

This does not apply in a connection situation on a single ticket. The carrier creating the delay is obligated to address that situation
Print Wikipost

what is the current flat-tire rule? (Missed flight)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by iahphx
Sorry to hear of other travellers' troubles. My wife actually made her 23 minute connection (it was 3 gates away), so we didn't need to invoke the flat-tire rule. I guess, for obvious reasons, the airline isn't eager to clarify exactly what the policy is. I assume there is a formal procedure somewhere in their rule book, though.
Beside - don't forget, without the flat-tire rule, there is still SDC available.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
. I assume there is a formal procedure somewhere in their rule book, though.
Hard enough to get the agents to adhere to policy published on UA.com...

As everything depends on the agent.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Is there actually a flat tire rule??

Because of road work (I live 100 miles from PDX) there is a possibility I may miss my 4 pm flight to SFO
There is a 7pm flight with many more seats than on my flight.
If I realize say 90 minutes before take-off that I can't make the flight does THAT invoke the rule or do I have to call only AFTER the plane takes off?
I have Premier Gold status for what little that means.

Thanks
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:03 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by coastda
Because of road work (I live 100 miles from PDX) there is a possibility I may miss my 4 pm flight to SFO
There is a 7pm flight with many more seats than on my flight.
If I realize say 90 minutes before take-off that I can't make the flight does THAT invoke the rule or do I have to call only AFTER the plane takes off?
I have Premier Gold status for what little that means.

Thanks
Same-day flight changes is a better option
Old Feb 11, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: sad kettle
SDC or flat-tire rule on award ticket + partner flight?

Hope it's ok to piggyback on this thread...
I have an awards ticket booked out SEA-SFO-HKG with the SFO segment via SQ.

There is a chance I may miss the SEA-SFO leg, and the next UA flight would have me arriving a mere 30 minutes b4 the SQ flight takes off.

I booked a one-way on Virgin that would give me enough connection time @ SFO but then realized they will probably cancel the rest of my ticket if I miss the first leg of my trip?!? Any advice on whether I should try to change my outbound flight to just the SFO-HKG or work things out at the airport via SDC or the flat-tire rule?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Horchata
Hope it's ok to piggyback on this thread...
I have an awards ticket booked out SEA-SFO-HKG with the SFO segment via SQ.

There is a chance I may miss the SEA-SFO leg, and the next UA flight would have me arriving a mere 30 minutes b4 the SQ flight takes off.

I booked a one-way on Virgin that would give me enough connection time @ SFO but then realized they will probably cancel the rest of my ticket if I miss the first leg of my trip?!? Any advice on whether I should try to change my outbound flight to just the SFO-HKG or work things out at the airport via SDC or the flat-tire rule?
SDC won't work as it won't apply to the SQ piece. Your best bet is calling to remove the SEA-SFO leg now if you're not willing to risk the 30 minute layover. Hopefully Virgin will check you all the way through, if you have bags to check.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: sad kettle
ah ok thanks for the explanation on SDC policy! I definitely do NOT want to risk a 30 min connection lol...although judging by the airport layout my chances are at least much better than @ LAX ()

I was hoping not to cxl the SEA-SFO leg JUST in case i'm able to get to the airport in time but guess I'll have to eat the change fee.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Originally Posted by Horchata
ah ok thanks for the explanation on SDC policy! I definitely do NOT want to risk a 30 min connection lol...although judging by the airport layout my chances are at least much better than @ LAX ()

I was hoping not to cxl the SEA-SFO leg JUST in case i'm able to get to the airport in time but guess I'll have to eat the change fee.
Though SFO would have its own problems: fog, low cloud ceiling, shuttle transfer from United Express to the main terminal ...
Old Feb 11, 2013, 4:33 pm

I had similar to a flat tyre six months ago.

I was flying Sydney to Los Angeles .

My connection on Qantas to Sydney was 90 minutes late and I missed the united flight.

There were no problems or fees putting me on the next days flight - I am 1k though.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ozflier
I had similar to a flat tyre six months ago.

I was flying Sydney to Los Angeles .

My connection on Qantas to Sydney was 90 minutes late and I missed the united flight.

There were no problems or fees putting me on the next days flight - I am 1k though.
I am not sure, delay of a connecting flight would invoke the flight tyre rule, as this was a delay by another carrier. Glad, you got on the next flight without issues, though!
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by shdflyer
In past 24 hours I have spoken with 3 different UA phone reps, including one very polite and helpful supervisor -- all were aware of the "flat tire rule" and all said that it is *not* necessary to go to the airport in order to have the rule applied, and that phoning in is fine as long as it no longer than 2 hours after your originating flight's scheduled departure.

The supervisor actually encouraged me to apply this rule to an award reservation where I want to depart on a later flight the same day but the flight has no X/XN seats available. She told me to forget about going to the airport and call after the departure time and that i will be rebooked over the phone.

Has anyone had experience with the flat tire rule over the phone? All the posts I have found talk about using it at the airport...
Yes, last year I got stuck in traffic between downtown Chicago and ORD, and was still 5 miles from the airport 15 minutes prior to my departure. I called the elite desk (I was silver at the time), told them I was stuck in traffic and would miss the flight (to DCA). With about five minutes work on their end (and no protest at all) they bumped me to the next flight to DCA. I did not have to pay a fee, but I am unclear about whether it was because of the flat tire rule or because I'd already paid the SDC fee once that day (from an earlier flight to the flight I'd missed) and the agent took pity.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:16 pm

Two questions I didn't see answered in the UA link:

1) If my wife (Silver) and me (Gold) are on the same PNR will we be charged any SDC fee at all?

2) If both our upgrades to F have already cleared on our original flight, will we be able to confirm F on the new flight (assuming it is available)?
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by milemonkey
1) If my wife (Silver) and me (Gold) are on the same PNR will we be charged any SDC fee at all?
no SDC fee, since she's on the same PNR as you.

Originally Posted by milemonkey
2) If both our upgrades to F have already cleared on our original flight, will we be able to confirm F on the new flight (assuming it is available)?
no, back on to the upgrade list.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by sockrebel
no SDC fee, since she's on the same PNR as you.

no, back on to the upgrade list.
Well - not quite. If they are supported upgrades, and R is (by some miracle) open, they might be able to do this. Then again, I forget the rule about applying RPUs within 24 hours.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 7:07 pm

For (2) We already have upgraded using miles. So, if "R" space is available on the new flight, we should clear, Correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.