Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

"Check-in has been restricted to the gate. Airport check-in is required."

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Check-in has been restricted to the gate. Airport check-in is required."

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Most likely it is choking because you've not completed the outbound portion of the itinerary yet so it doesn't know what to check you in for on the return. An agent at the airport can do it for you but is unlikely to offer you a buy-up.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Will a phone agent be able to process the check-in? Or will I have to wait until I get to the airport? I'm the only one in row 14 on a "dark" 739 so I'll be ok if I don't get to sit up front.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 8:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by diburning
Will a phone agent be able to process the check-in? Or will I have to wait until I get to the airport? I'm the only one in row 14 on a "dark" 739 so I'll be ok if I don't get to sit up front.
Probably the airport, but you might get lucky on the phone. I wouldn't spend too much time on hold, especially if your goal is a buy-up, as that's almost certainly not going to happen.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
In the old website, you could go to checkin for your outbound and it would sometimes offer you the ability to check in for the return if it was open now.

There used to be a small link at the bottom of the checkin for your outbound that said something to the effect of view additional flights available for checkin.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:43 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The app seems to have figured it out. When I went to go check the flight status of the outbound by going to the PNR, it asked me if I wanted to view details for flights already checked in or for flights eligible for check-in. I selected the latter option and was able to check in.

No dice on the buy-up. Cost more than I'm willing to pay unfortunately. I bought E+ instead.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 9:26 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I find that unchecking the auto-check in for return flights makes no difference. It still checks you in....
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Unable to Check-in 24 Hours in Advance (MR)

Hello everyone!

I am doing a MR tomorrow (and into Thursday morning) that has me going all around the country on eight different flights. I had no troubles booking this. However, when I try to check-in, it gives me the "Unable to complete check-in. Your itinerary is not eligible for united.com check-in. Please proceed to the airport for assistance" message.

I am not terribly surprised, and I think there are various reasons this could be happening.

1) This itinerary is simply too complicated for the OLCI system to handle
2) Some of my flights are quite a ways away. My IAH-DCA flight is almost 48 hours from now
3) The DEN-LAX flight changed flight numbers I'm pretty sure, and the departure is now eight minutes late. I know this can cause some issues, so I think this possibly took my reservation out of sync

Anyone know what I should do? Just get to the airport early tomorrow and endure the strange looks? Or call someone right now? Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited by UAL250; Dec 15, 2015 at 6:47 am
Old Dec 15, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: UA -1MM, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by UAL250
Hello everyone!

I am doing a MR tomorrow (and into Thursday morning) that has me going all around the country on eight different flights. I had no troubles booking this. However, when I try to check-in, it gives me the "Unable to complete check-in. Your itinerary is not eligible for united.com check-in. Please proceed to the airport for assistance" message.

I am not terribly surprised, and I think there are various reasons this could be happening.

1) This itinerary is simply too complicated for the OLCI system to handle
2) Some of my flights are quite a ways away. My IAH-DCA flight is almost 48 hours from now
3) The DEN-LAX flight changed flight numbers I'm pretty sure, and the departure is now eight minutes late. I know this can cause some issues, so I think this possibly took my reservation out of sync

Anyone know what I should do? Just get to the airport early tomorrow and endure the strange looks? Or call someone right now? Thanks in advance for any help!
#1 is correct. I think OLCI can handle up to five flights, but I"ve had to check in at the airport for an itinerary with six flights are more.

Just get to the airport a little early, check in with a kiosk, and you should be fine...with no strange looks
Old Nov 30, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, United Plat
Well, what are the chances? Almost two years later I run into my own post. I got this message while trying to check into my flight for tomorrow.

Even though my last post says I was able to check-in at the airport, I called United and they confirmed that the message is erroneous and I can check-in at the airport and then proceed through TSA.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 9, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Same thing

Flying SFO Denver tomorrow UA1845

Get the message:

Unable to Complete Check-in

Check-in has been restricted to the gate. Airport check-in is required.

[Flight Check-In]
[Home]

Called United Rep. They couldn't fix it for me. She said she thought it was due to an aircraft change.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I am getting this message when trying to check in for a trip tomorrow.
"Unable to Complete Check-in
Check-in has been restricted to the gate. Airport check-in is required."

1K desk was of no help. According to them, web support says it is because I have a 6 hour layover.

Added: I was trying on the app, which gives the above message. Interestingly, when I look on the website, my reservation doesn't have the "check in" button on the reservation.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:16 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by goodeats21
I am getting this message when trying to check in for a trip tomorrow.
"Unable to Complete Check-in
Check-in has been restricted to the gate. Airport check-in is required."

1K desk was of no help. According to them, web support says it is because I have a 6 hour layover.

Added: I was trying on the app, which gives the above message. Interestingly, when I look on the website, my reservation doesn't have the "check in" button on the reservation.
Probably SSSS.

Happened to me a few times this year.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Well, mystery solved...and thankfully, no SSSS.

I dropped by the airport on my way into work this morning. Apparently, the system had the flight restricted to airport control, like usually happens at 30 minutes prior to departure. It was definitely some sort of glitch, because even though the system had it restricted to the local airport, no one on site could work with the flight or release the restriction. It had not allowed anyone to check in for the flight at all (0 checked in).

The counter staff called someone at the help desk and it was rather quickly resolved. I am now checked in for the flight, have boarding passes, no SSSS, and PreCheck qualified. ^

A bit of a wasted trip, but at least I got to see some day shift staff that I hadn't seen for awhile, and extend Happy New Year wishes.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I'm on 2197 SLC-ORD this afternoon. Same message regarding checking in at gate. UA agent couldn't assign a seat much less check me in over the phone. Equipment swap forthcoming?

"Check-in is resteicted to the gate. Airport check-in required"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.