Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award tickets for the whole family

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:47 pm
Original Poster

Award tickets for the whole family

I am trying to book award tickets from United.com for our family, 2 adults, 2 kids. Each of us has only enough miles to book our own ticket. Can we book our tickets together or do we have to go separately with 4 single tickets? If we have to do individually, how do I book for my kids (6 & 11)? I actually tried to book for them, and ran into "unaccompanied minor" issue. Can I just book for them as adults? Thanks a lot for your help!
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by chenxq
I am trying to book award tickets from United.com for our family, 2 adults, 2 kids. Each of us has only enough miles to book our own ticket. Can we book our tickets together or do we have to go separately with 4 single tickets? If we have to do individually, how do I book for my kids (6 & 11)? I actually tried to book for them, and ran into "unaccompanied minor" issue. Can I just book for them as adults? Thanks a lot for your help!
I think you can actually call and have them book four tickets on the same itinerary from different FF accounts. online you have to do four separate bookings. If you're doing it online just book them as adults, it's not like it makes a difference (and for my kids UA is about 50/50 with child meals anyway).
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA-1K, Hertz-Gold, Marriott-Gold, PC-Platinum, SPG
Call! If you are luck to get a good agent, he/she may be able to take care of this for you. For some more lucks, they may waive the $25 booking fee because of your kids.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, Boghopper and lax2010. I will call united.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: OP Plat, SPG
Originally Posted by lax2010
Call! If you are luck to get a good agent, he/she may be able to take care of this for you. For some more lucks, they may waive the $25 booking fee because of your kids.
Make sure they waive the $25 booking fee
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:58 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
I actually tried to book for them, and ran into "unaccompanied minor" issue. Can I just book for them as adults?
Do you select "Child" during the booking process? If so, don't.

Or is it that the system looks at your kid's profile, sees that it's a minor, and adds the charge? If so, can you just change the birthdate in the online profile? Or you could use kid A's account to book the ticket for kid B, but list kid B as adult when you search for flights. Then repeat for kid A's ticket from kid B's account.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by snic
Do you select "Child" during the booking process? If so, don't.

Or is it that the system looks at your kid's profile, sees that it's a minor, and adds the charge? If so, can you just change the birthdate in the online profile? Or you could use kid A's account to book the ticket for kid B, but list kid B as adult when you search for flights. Then repeat for kid A's ticket from kid B's account.
This is not a good idea. I'm sure it was done with the best of intentions, but I do not want to be behind you when your kids cannot get on because secure flight actually worked that day.

OP:

1. Book the children as adults - obviously put the correct information for TSA.

2. I am assuming that none of you has elite status. Print out your BPs the day before, to avoid 4 different kiosk entries.

3. I am assuming you don't have the credit card. Prepay also for the luggage you'll check in, if you are.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: Aadvantage Mileage Plus
United Family Awards

How difficult is it to get 3 awards together on a United flight using points from only one Adult? We will be flying to Europe from ORD June of 2013 with flexible destination and dates.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fillerlady
How difficult is it to get 3 awards together on a United flight using points from only one Adult? We will be flying to Europe from ORD June of 2013 with flexible destination and dates.
Pretty easy if you're that flexible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.