Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do you book a long layover?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2012, 6:53 pm
Original Poster

How do you book a long layover?

I'm interested in a long layover in MUC on the way to SGN from BOS. I can get a flight into MUC that gets in at 9AM ish. I want to take a LH/TG flight out that night at around 2100ish but I don't get that option online without entering it in as a stopover. Is there a way to accomplish this online without calling so I don't incur the fee?. I don't want to use my stopover option for this and prefer to use it for the flight home.

Thanks
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by molly2004
I'm interested in a long layover in MUC on the way to SGN from BOS. I can get a flight into MUC that gets in at 9AM ish. I want to take a LH/TG flight out that night at around 2100ish but I don't get that option online without entering it in as a stopover. Is there a way to accomplish this online without calling so I don't incur the fee?. I don't want to use my stopover option for this and prefer to use it for the flight home.

Thanks
Odd, I was trying to do the same thing as you last night with a MUC stopover (but not to SGN).
What I finally did was to break my trip into a mult-destination itinerary, with every segment as a different destination. This allows you to view all available flights for each segment. Doing this, I was able to book a 14 hour layover in MUC, using UA and LH. Hopefully, this will work for you also.

Good Luck!
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver

Thanks
Try increasing the number of results shown. It's at the bottom of the page.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Odd, I was trying to do the same thing as you last night with a MUC stopover (but not to SGN).
What I finally did was to break my trip into a mult-destination itinerary, with every segment as a different destination. This allows you to view all available flights for each segment. Doing this, I was able to book a 14 hour layover in MUC, using UA and LH. Hopefully, this will work for you also.

Good Luck!
If you do this, and say something happens where a segment is severely delayed or cancelled would UA still be responsible to re-accomodate? When you book it the 'normal' way where the website actually shows it as a connection I understand they are liable to get you on the connecting flight. But if it is entered as 'multiple destinations' and it was delayed would they still be responsible? Using the multiple destinations booking option is something I've always wanted to do especially when I know there are other flights that would allow a long layover but I've always been worried of the situation I just described. Sorry if I don't make sense I'm running on <2 hours of sleep...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
Originally Posted by CruiserCLE
If you do this, and say something happens where a segment is severely delayed or cancelled would UA still be responsible to re-accomodate? When you book it the 'normal' way where the website actually shows it as a connection I understand they are liable to get you on the connecting flight. But if it is entered as 'multiple destinations' and it was delayed would they still be responsible? Using the multiple destinations booking option is something I've always wanted to do especially when I know there are other flights that would allow a long layover but I've always been worried of the situation I just described. Sorry if I don't make sense I'm running on <2 hours of sleep...
You'll be on a single ticket number. LH will know you're connecting.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
call in to change after you ticket.

No fees for changes for flight times.

Call in within 24hrs to be safer.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:17 pm

Programs: MANY
Originally Posted by rankourabu

That is not true, unless it is an award booking. I understand one can cancel or change a reservation within 24 hours for free. But changing flight time/number beyond 24 hours window will incur change fees and possible fare difference, unless you do SDC.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by double_black77
That is not true, unless it is an award booking. I understand one can cancel or change a reservation within 24 hours for free. But changing flight time/number beyond 24 hours window will incur change fees and possible fare difference, unless you do SDC.

Since the OP is going thru MUC to SGN - I (perhaps foolishly) assumed its an award routing.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Is that the case if the later flight is on a different airline?

The online bookable option is flying via SQ

Depart:
1:10 p.m.
Sat., Mar. 9, 2013
Munich, Germany (MUC)
Arrive:
7:55 a.m. +1 Day
Sun., Mar. 10, 2013
Singapore, Singapore (SIN)
Depart:
9:50 a.m.
Sun., Mar. 10, 2013
Singapore, Singapore (SIN)
Arrive:
10:55 a.m.
Sun., Mar. 10, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City/ Saigon VN (SGN)
What I want is this timing is via TG
9:50 p.m.
Fri., Mar. 8, 2013
Munich, Germany (MUC)
Arrive:
2:25 p.m. +1 Day
Sat., Mar. 9, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand (BKK)

Depart:
6:25 p.m.
Sat., Mar. 9, 2013
Bangkok, Thailand (BKK) Arrive:
7:55 p.m.
Sat., Mar. 9, 2013
Ho Chi Minh City/ Saigon VN (SGN)
So I'll be changing the flight time AND airline. Can I call and change that within the 24 hour period without any fees, reticketing or otherwise?

And yes, it is an award booking, hopefully for 5 people which is why I want to minimize unnecessary fees. I don't want a stopover at all, rather long layovers so that I have a few hours to pop into a city for a looksy without having to stay overnight.

I'm trying to get my itinerary to look like this, where > denotes a long layover, not a stopover, except my destination SGN.

BOS -MUC > MUC - BKK - SGN >>> SGN - SIN > SIN -...- BOS

Since SIN is not on the "most direct" route between SGN and BOS, I thought I'd use my stopover option to get there.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 6:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

This is only true if OP is on a changeable fare. Even many changeable fares xEurope carry change penalties. It's also important to understand that many fares xEurope are not changeable at all. In other words, unlike USA fares where one can pay a change fee, these fares can't be changed and if not used as booked have no value.

It's perfectly possible to construct an itinerary along any route. The question is how that affects the fare. It's well worth an experienced TA's fee to construct a complex intl. itinerary. They may be able to make suggestions which can save a significant amount of money.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
This is only true if OP is on a changeable fare. Even many changeable fares xEurope carry change penalties. It's also important to understand that many fares xEurope are not changeable at all. In other words, unlike USA fares where one can pay a change fee, these fares can't be changed and if not used as booked have no value.

It's perfectly possible to construct an itinerary along any route. The question is how that affects the fare. It's well worth an experienced TA's fee to construct a complex intl. itinerary. They may be able to make suggestions which can save a significant amount of money.
well duh

But the OP is booking an award ticket.

OP, its best to do all changes immediately, or at worst within 24 hours - you can do them for free guaranteed that way. I've done it a few times, when SQ was not on co.com, I would book TG, and call in to change. Not because of the fees really, but because phone agents can be a pain in the butt trying to piece a semi-complicated itinerary together, and its easier to just say - hey change this to this.

When you call say, hey I just noticed a better routing, can you just do this change for me.

Your route is absolutely fine as SGN the destination, and SIN or MUC the stopover
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:27 am
Original Poster

I think SQ used to have a late flight out of MUC. That would have simplified things a bit. I'd rather fly with SQ. As it stands though, I'll try to book the earlier SQ flight and call immediately after and try to change to TG.

Would there be an issue since the route would likely not have had time to be ticketed yet? Or is that the whole point?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think SQ used to have a late flight out of MUC. That would have simplified things a bit. I'd rather fly with SQ. As it stands though, I'll try to book the earlier SQ flight and call immediately after and try to change to TG.

Would there be an issue since the route would likely not have had time to be ticketed yet? Or is that the whole point?

Thanks again!
Its better if its not... but good luck getting thru before it does.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.