Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What would you do? Worth the miles/$$$ for upgrade.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do? Worth the miles/$$$ for upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Worth it? DOH-IAD-SFO UG for 35k + $600

I bought a rt sfo-doh for $500 rt in K class. I guess I can not use GPU for K class fare. United has option to buy upgrades OW for $600 and 35k miles. Is it worth it? Are there other options I can try?

Crazy mileage run to qualify for UA gold.

Thanks
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus: Platinum; Enterprise Plus: Silver
It depends on how much you value comfort. I just did TCON MRs in December across the country entirely on P fares. I paid .05/EQM and do not regret that I paid extra for First; I also saved time on flights.

If you value mile at 1c, your price comes to about 13c/EQM, which is way more than some cheap P fares from SFO to say AUA. In other words, what was the reason to fly Y SFO-DOH as opposed to domestic F, if the price of upgrade is so high?
Old Jan 12, 2014, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), DL GLD, AL GLD, SPG GLD, HY DMD, MRTT PLAT
Bought SFO-DOH for mileage run to get UA Gold for 2014.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think Volga981's point is it becomes an expensive mileage run if you upgrade. From SFO, you can mr in a premium cabin for much less per mile (8-10 cpm) to destinations such as SJU, SJO, or PTY.

As he also noted, it really depends on your tolerance for long-haul Y.
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, BA Silver, Marriott Plat., Hertz Pres. Circle, Avis First
The answer to the OP is YES. No brainier, particularly given how cheap the initial ticket was...
Old Jan 12, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
If you can get an aisle seat in the center section in E+ it is not worth it. I just flew to DXB in e+ and it was easy. Being in the center section no one ever climbed over me and the person in the middle was traveling with the other aisle person so they just climbed over them. On the way back no one was in the middle. It was an easy 14hrs. To IAD with a PMUA crew that gave out free drinks and the AVOD worked well. They were friendlier than the crew I had on a recent trip to LHR in BF on a 2 class 777 plane!

THe food to IAD was gross, but I just ate beforehand and brought snacks. Business was not worth it for just 12.5 to 13 going over especially. If I had to sit in regular economy I would def. upgrade though! I have seen paid upgrades for around 700 to 900day of travel so you could chance it and save the miles as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.